[Need Help] Where should I be doing next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQVBSina

I started playing a couple of days ago, and I think I ran into a bottleneck right now...

So far in the game I have died many times which was fine because I knew if I performed better I would not have died. However, now I have the following outstanding quests:
Where is Amarisa, A key to the past, The Dead God, Smugglers in the Night, Thick skin, A Web of Terror, Outstanding apprentice, Restoring the Faith, The Lost Coven, The Restless Dead, and The Collectionist
I am aware that Amarisa is not completable, I am waiting on 2 INT for Smugglers in the Night.

I am a lvl 9 rogue with 142 hp, 12 armor, and 22.5 dps. My companion is Grissenda with 132 hp, 18 armor, and 12.7 dps. I am finding it almost impossible to make through the maps to complete quests like A Web of Terror, Outstanding apprentice, Restoring the Faith, The Lost Coven, and The Restless Dead (having trouble effectively fighting Trolls, higher level ghosts, higher level skeletons, and outlaws that could deal 10 damage to me). I am sure that I am not up to date with gears but I don't know where to get better ones since everything sold in the store is worse at this point in the game.

I don't have enough gold (in terms of sustainability) to purchase the potions needed to make those quest completions possible.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what I should be doing next in order to make my character stronger.

Thanks!

Roukan

Loreseeker
I'd like to give more specific advice, but I'd need more information about what exatly are you having trouble with in these quests. Regarding gear and weapons, what are you currently using?

Some quests are just plain difficult at your level; grinding a little before tackling those would be good. I'll first address those that should be manageable with a little strategy and preparation. Remember to have a look at the relevant maps on the wiki to pick the correct paths and avoid unnecessary encounters.

Regarding the Smugglers in the Night, only a PER 2 check is required for maximum gain in reputation. Perhaps you could get it done a little sooner?

For thick skin, I don't really see the problem here. With fire weapons equipped on both you and your companion, application of flanking tactics, and keeping fights limited to two against one, it really shouldn't be too difficult.

Restoring the Faith
Recruit Adaon as your companion for this quest. Get a full rest at the inn in New Garand. Purchase a scroll of recall.

Exit town through the West gate and head to the Great Inori (skirt the bottom of the map along the river to avoid encounters). Once you're in the Great Inori, walk directly left till you're directly below the Irazur tomb. Tap the quicksave button and run to the entrance, ignoring all the skeletons. Tap the quicksave button again just as you're about to enter the tomb.

Once inside, enter the room to the West. Sticking to the Northern wall, move up till you trigger the gas trap. Quickly walk back to the statue (marked 1 on the wiki map) to interact with it, and have Adaon disarm the trap.

Enter the trap-filled corridor to the West. Slowly and carefully make your way to through, making sure to keep your HP high enough to survive a trap at all times. In the room at the end of the corridor, there are four other doors, two to the North, and two to the South.

Finish off the 3 skeletons in the room and heal up. Enter the second room to the South (marked 2 on the wiki map), run straight to the corpse and interact with it (ignore the skeletal champion). Loot the items individually (don't tap on take all) and activate your scroll of recall. Exit the looting interface and warp back to town.

This might take a few attempts; that's what the quicksaves are for. If done right, you won't have to use any potions at all.

The Lost Coven
In the New Garand Sewers, purchase a spider venom or two. Getting a dagger of poison from random spider mobs is optional but helpful. Purchase a scroll of recall.

Go to the Crimson Hills via the Southern entrance at Northern Bluemist. Check a wiki map for the correct path to the tower. Get to the tower and make a quiksave before fighting the Earth Elemental. Proceed to fight the Earth Elemental (try to flank) and pop a spider venom then.
Defeat the Earth Elemental and quicksave again before entering the tower. Recover to full HP and have a look at a wiki map before proceeding further.

The mobs here are tough, so I'd recommend ignoring them.
Run straight to the bedroom (marked 1 and 3 on the wiki map). When faced with the Earth Elemental that's guarding the bedroom, retreat a few steps to have him move away from the door, then run around him to get into the bedroom. Grab the journal and loot the chest (note that there's a trap in front of the journal). Use a scroll of recall.

If done right, potion use is minimal.

As for the other quests, well...they have tough encounters requiring good damage and a healthy supply of potions. You might want to grind a little first.

For some good grinding spots for gold and some EXP for your current level, there's Nayau Tomb (easy), Maze of Lamth (middling), Urzuganar Lair (tough), or New Garand town hall quests (scales to your level).

SirDonkalot

Lvl 9 ..thats like the key level where you can get a decent upgrade.
Did you do the Fort Attack quest in kingsbridge? (Only possible at lvl 9+)
That should give you a pretty good reward, and future more, you will be able to join the warriors guild (if you want to) to get even more quests, goodies to buy and new skills

VDX_360

Staff member
Sounds like you're hitting the mid-game gap... it's a period of time where for a few levels, a player feels too strong for the early game and is getting hammered by the mid game. Happens to everyone. Tends to only last a level or two as they adjust playing style, get better stuff etc. Than the tide starts to turn.

As a Rogue, really look into joining the Thieves Guild for Rogue based advanced skills. Also, feel encouraged to knock out a bunch of Town Hall Quests. They give XP and gold while increasing your reputation.

Without more details such as your build or Grissenda's build, can't offer more insight.

FQVBSina

VDX_360":ga7d3rcs said:
Sounds like you're hitting the mid-game gap... it's a period of time where for a few levels, a player feels too strong for the early game and is getting hammered by the mid game. Happens to everyone. Tends to only last a level or two as they adjust playing style, get better stuff etc. Than the tide starts to turn.

As a Rogue, really look into joining the Thieves Guild for Rogue based advanced skills. Also, feel encouraged to knock out a bunch of Town Hall Quests. They give XP and gold while increasing your reputation.

Without more details such as your build or Grissenda's build, can't offer more insight.

Thanks guys for your advices.
My gears are:
Magma Shortsword, Amulet of the Forest, Laboratory Gloves, Lionskin Cuirass, Cowl of Fellowship, Flaming Hachet, Lesser Ring of Death Ward, Nivarian Cloak, Forest Chain Leggings, Forest Chain Boots, and Ring of the Elements.
Build:
2 STR, 2 END, 3 AGI, 1 INT, 3 AWR, 2 PER, Stab 1, Stealth 1, Sneak 2, Eva 1, Trap 2, Sprint 1, Recovery 1, Dungeon 3, Gossip 1, also enabled Precision Strikes
Resistances:
Fire 17, Ice 7, Shock 10, Death 42, Poison 35, Spirit 14

Grissenda:
Thunder, Blessed Necklace, standard shiny shop armor set, Varaol's Boots, Lesser Ring of Flames, Azaph's Ring of Elements, Anointed Shield, Cloak of the Wolf
Build:
2 STR, 2 END, 2 AGI, 1 AWR, 1 PER, Whirlwind 1, Fury 1, Shield 2, Bash 2, Cleave 1
Resistances:
18, 39, 18, 20, 20, 12

Roukan

Loreseeker
Your equipment seem fine. I'd recommend going to Sydarun to get an Oasis Ring (Sand Vermin quest). Also, if you plan on joining the Seventh House, a Lightning Dirk is an excellent upgrade for cheap.

Grind a little for potions, and you'll have no problems with A Web of Terror with your current stats.

Edit* Actually, with enough prep, e.g. getting the appropriate elemental weapon and enough potions, the only quests on your list which might really give you trouble right now are The Dead God and Outstanding Apprentice. Unless you're really over-leveled with Hirge as your healer, most of these quests which require dungeon exploration would still tend to require some potion use. Perhaps going into these quests with that mentality might help?

FQVBSina

Roukan":1d4785qv said:
Your equipment seem fine. I'd recommend going to Sydarun to get an Oasis Ring (Sand Vermin quest). Also, if you plan on joining the Seventh House, a Lightning Dirk is an excellent upgrade for cheap.

Grind a little for potions, and you'll have no problems with A Web of Terror with your current stats.

Edit* Actually, with enough prep, e.g. getting the appropriate elemental weapon and enough potions, the only quests on your list which might really give you trouble right now are The Dead God and Outstanding Apprentice. Unless you're really over-leveled with Hirge as your healer, most of these quests which require dungeon exploration would still tend to require some potion use. Perhaps going into these quests with that mentality might help?

I guess it is too early for me to think about saving money for stuff like buying a house? I started to buy potions and I feel much better. Furthermore, I am not sure if it is an illusion, but doing TH quests seems to be a pretty fast way of leveling?

pedrinho

Translator
And make good use of random traders, look for one selling great potions for 480 gold. Dont think twice before spending ALL YOUR MONEY on it, its a bargain.
And use vaults to stock green gems and Wolf pelts, to sell them to the buyers - respectively the guy at jabal and the randomly showing Varanari leader. This one "waits" for you to go to the vault and come back with the pelts, most of time.
;-)

VDX_360

Staff member
FQVBSina":1cxgvnrg said:
I guess it is too early for me to think about saving money for stuff like buying a house? I started to buy potions and I feel much better. Furthermore, I am not sure if it is an illusion, but doing TH quests seems to be a pretty fast way of leveling?

Yes, It's WAY too early about buying a house. Town Vaults can help with storage of spells, scrolls and spare equipment. They much cheaper than a house.

Town Hall Quests are DESIGNED to be a good source of gold and XP. If you can get a few of them at one time, you can have pretty good haul, plus what ever you found during the quest. Just keep in mind that the more active Town Hall Quests you have, the more you might struggle with getting the right rumors. The extra gold from the quests and the grinding helps too. Also double check what type of quest you agree to do, some (rather obvious) will lower you reputation with a rival fraction (slave hunting for example).

You'll pop out of the mid-game gap soon. Just work at it.

LOOKING AHEAD:
Now that there's Manticore Whelps near Friguld, you can use them as test subjects. When you can kill one pretty easily (and after you complete Fort Assualt), complete World is a Stage. The reward, a light sword, is one of the best weapons in the game for an agility based Grissenda.
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... is_a_Stage

Also, investing in Cleave 2 will help make Grissenda a better crown control for you. Get her up to Cleave 3 and toss her a potion of might and she'll hold off mobs like your the side-kick.

If you really want to grind and save up gold: Don't buy a house, but a few Belts of Agility after joining the Thieves guild. The +2 AGL will increase defense and attack for both your characters (if Grissenda has a light weapon like the Icicle from The World is a Stage.

Xen

Loreseeker
I know how difficult it is to be a melee warrior or rogue in this game especially when Hirge is not around, you struggled fighting monsters and died often when you accidentally lured mobs which you can't divide easily. Try running very far until only one or two monsters are following then fight them out.

IMHO at your current level you should grind for gold in Urzaganar Lair, first clear the southern part where orcs guard the entrance to the Orc King's chamber, then the west part near the dungeon's entrance. When there is no threat from orcs kill the Orc King, exit the dungeon quicksave then reload, then repeat the process until your inventory is full of Bluesteel Greatswords. After that go to Freetown to sell the loots(the selling price in Freetown is higher than usual so you can collect additional gold, larger sum in bulk). After getting large amount of gold, try to quick save and reload to find a Shady Trader that sells Greater Healing Potions at a discounted price(480 each). Buy at least 200 Greater Healing Potions so it won't bother you in the future when you try to finish hard quests or fighting rumor bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.