Need Guide for building a Mage Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molokot

You dont, just make more levels. Reason for giving books to grisenda is that she gains very little from leveling in comparison to main character.
At level 24 you have plenty points without any books and at 25+ is a bit of overkill and Grisenda will also level slower so she will be 24 end game maybe 25. Its realy nice to have her at full potential, well she cant help in ark but its just 1 lair.

Xen

Loreseeker
I wouldn't recommend giving. All tomes to grissenda, only some, maybe 3 or four, you need those extra points to better survive the ark.
Not really if you're planning a long-term play for that specific character

DarthTomServo

I wouldn't recommend giving. All tomes to grissenda, only some, maybe 3 or four, you need those extra points to better survive the ark.

Yeah she's immortal. I give all tomes to the protagonist. Helps keep the build up while also meeting trait checks as wanted.

"Best" here is completely subjective.

Molokot

Its not subjective it comes from experience. I also gave all books to myself when i was noob and played first time, but after finishing this game like 20 times allready with all kind of characters. I am now always buffing up Grisenda. She has 2 possible specs. If you play mage or rogue she should be a tank and for that needs 3 personality 1 awarness 1 inteligence 3 agility and at least 5 strenght and stamina unbuffed , better 6. If you are a warrior then you will be tank yourself and grisenda can go 2h dps for stuns(then she needs same stats except 0 personality instead of 3 and can go for 7 strenght).On priest both specs are viable.
"She is immortal" but you want her to actualy be alive , otherwise monsters will come for you :D
And grisenda doing load of damage is kinda better than Grisenda just staying there.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
High strength, 3 agility and no endurance is a tank?

If you're missing the damage from strength why not go agility Griss? You'll lose the utility of Infantry Training, but it's not as important as it was and you can compensate with Spirit resistance or Amulet of Dark Whispers, but the Agility will help both defence and damage, and you'll be triggering Heavyhand and Massive Criticals more often. Shield Expert adds more plating to the tank leaving Fury and Cleave for the slaughter.

As a Mage you can always get her off the floor with a Circle of Restoration. No biggie for either spellcaster.

Molokot

I wrote 5 strenght and enduraance,didint I?
Infantry training is must have, not only warrior is only class that cant have stun immunity without it from gear , but it also gives crit reduction , and that is warrior unique very powerfull skill.
So any light weapons are NO NO NO as soon as you can have advanced skills. And 3 agilty because you will have 4 from library gloves and later 6 from ark gloves and thats enough, same applies to your main character if you are warrior or mage.
Amulet of dark wispers can be used on 2h grisenda.
For skills you go for 2 cleave ,because its agro geting skill and if she is tank also need 3 shield skill, if she is dps then 2 fury is good and obviously need 3 2h specialization. rest skill points should go to advanced skills. Bash and whirlwind are counterproductive , because they move enemies and that most often goes to your disadvantage.
And also it is teoreticly possible to make agilty warior dps, just Grisenda cant have duel and that is esential for such spec, and only situation i could imagine such warrior will appear in game would be if for some reason you will decide to be agilty dps warior dps yourself and make grisenda tank.

DarthTomServo

Its not subjective it comes from experience. I also gave all books to myself when i was noob and played first time, but after finishing this game like 20 times allready with all kind of characters.

I've never needed to give her tomes. Of course giving a companion more trait points will make them stronger, but I've yet to encounter a situation where it was necessary. I've also played this many times.

To me, the "best" is to have the extra trait points to spread around for trait checks in quests. That's also from experience.

This is silly. This isn't the type of game where you have to boil everything down to the mathematically best scenario. This kind of nit-picking is better suited for World of Warcraft raid groups. EK is a mobile, single player ARPG with extremely basic mechanics. Not the type of game where it makes sense to argue over arbitrary point distributions like this.

Molokot

Well forgive, me but i am perfectionist , when it comes to build characters in games and maxing out their potential. So ofc when you say its a single player game and evrybody can have fun playing it anyway, then you are right.But this topic asks for help playing mage so i gave some advice how to make it easy for yourself. And how can you miss any trait checks if you give books to grisenda is a mystery to me.

Deleted member 28869

So ofc when you say its a single player game and evrybody can have fun playing it anyway, then you are right.But this topic asks for help playing mage so i gave some advice how to make it easy for yourself.
Giving yourself the tomes will make you stronger, hence, easier for yourself.

Well forgive, me but i am perfectionist , when it comes to build characters in games and maxing out their potential.
You can't really say your experience with giving tomes to companions is the "best" way to go, since everybody has their preferences. And like what Xen said, giving all tomes to companion is a good idea if you plan to play long-term with your character and get to like, level 30.

And how can you miss any trait checks if you give books to grisenda is a mystery to me.
There are a total of 36 tomes in the game, giving all of them to your companion is bound to make you miss a few trait checks.

DarthTomServo

I don't want this to escalate.

Just want to offer that I've written up a different take a week or two ago.

Mages don't have to be weak early game, and here's ideas I've gone with.

Status
Not open for further replies.