Need Guide for building a Mage Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

greearmstrong

Hello, I'm starting a new game right now, using Mage. So I hope someone guides me to build strength and skills for a Mage from the lowest level to the top

I need a lot of opinion here, because everyone has different tricks for building Mage

Thank you very much for your time guiding me.

KemalSFS

Translator
The most important thing for mages is mana so you must raise your intelligence. You won’t need a high hp point because you are a mage and you will fight from a distance. The trait that gives you hp is strength so it is unnecessary for you unless you use a 2-handed weapon. I finished the game with mage 2 times and both of them my strength was 0. In the first few levels you can raise your endurance because surviving is too hard without a companion when you are a mage. If you will use a ranged weapon, agility is important for you and even you won’t because you get one armor for each point. Personality is also important because of the mana. I mean try to have as much as possible mana. Awareness also isn’t unnecessary because you must find the secret doors and some extra conversation options. Except that if you use a ranged weapon you can give 0.5 extra damage for each point.

So if you use a 2-handed weapon; Int>Per>Str>Awr>Agl=End, if you use a hand weapon; Int>Per>Awr>Agl>End>Str, if you use a ranged weapon; Int>Per>Agl>Awr>End>Str. From important to unimportant.
Post automatically merged:    

But remember, everybody plays themselves so ideas can change person to person.

Commiades

There are other decisions based on whether you decide to go for a staff and summoning build or a wand and elemental attacks one. For a wand build I don't push INT so high; instead I go for AGI and AWA. I also get Massive Criticals, so STR 3 is necessary.

I really enjoy the wand mage. After the Ark with equipment boosts I have:

STR 3 (6)
END 4 (6)
AGI 9 (12)
INT 4 (6)
AWA 4 (6)
PER 4 (6)

The damage bonus for Staff Mastery is based on INT. For Wand Mastery it isn't. With Body Development II you have plenty of hp, which helps against slip-ups. Orbs and Mage Armour IV provide great elemental resistance. I got my Shock resistance over 210 with potions. It made the Ark very easy!

VDX_360

Staff member
One of the more versatile mage builds is the dedicated summoner. Note, this build skips any attack spells, and skips learning the fire and ice golems (you can use scrolls for those).

1st Skill: Mage Armor: It makes a world of different in the very early game and will be useful for traps for entire game.
2nd Skill: Lessor Summoner 1: Gives you great combat boost and nifty detection skill.
3rd Skill: Start to invest in Staff Mastery

Traits:
Focus on INT with some points in PERS, AGL, AWA.

Skills:
1st: Heavy invest in Staff Mastery (maxing it out is okay)
2nd: Lessor Summoner 2
3rd: Mage Armor

Traits: focus on getting something like: INT 4, AWA 2, PERS 2, END 2, AGL 2.
That gives a solid foundation for both a mix of abilities and trait checks for various quests.

1st: Max out Staff Mastery
2nd: Learn earth mastery from Wizard's Guild
This requires completing all four tower quests. Which should be pretty easy. Keep in mind you can use the emergency exit out of the Cave of Echoes (let those pests eat someone else for now).
Traits should start to look like: INT 6, PERS 4, AWA 2, END 2, AGL 2

Max out of Earth Mastery
Max out Summoner
Max of Mage Barrier

Iron Golem + Staff Mastery = you walk right over enemies.
Mage Barrier is useful for entire game, and deadly in the ark.

Commiades

The Summoner Mage is awesome; one level in Ice Mastery and Fire Mastery can be useful. My personal preference for play style is the Wand Mage. The new Death Cloud skill makes it really strong.

Ray

I noticed some of the staffs cause you to use Mana where the wands so far for me have not used any Mana. Can you create the same build using a wand?

Deleted member 28869

It's a weapon attribute, it's called Arcane, and it makes your weapon consume mana. But there's a skill that can help you with that, it's called arcanist.

Molokot

Its generaly good iadvice except it isnt :D First of all if u want to play mage you need first to finish game as a warrior or priest to know what is where , because mage is very weak at begining. Then Its easiest to start with wands , because you can use shield with them and that helps a lot. After making few levels and selling wolf pelts you can buy wand from wizard tower near nivarian or go to quest island from port arthur and get beatrax wand. Both of them are fine for starters. geting 1 point of mage barier is fine but what you need most is to max wand mastery and 2 levels of lesser sumoning also helps a bit, then you need to do 3 quests for wizards to have enough rep to learn fire golem. That are to bring 2 marples (can steal them from lesser wyverns) bring 3 ice (or maybe frost?) salts- just buy them from random encounter merchant, because its random drop and can be dificult to get if unlucky, and to bring white wolf pelt and 1 small ruby to the guy in Kingsbridge. Now you can learn fire golem from freetown mage guild and game starts to be quite easy. Later (when you kill troll boss and trolls in arena) , so around level 17 , simply respec for staves and iron golem, and from then that guide written above is correct, because its a best mage spec.
Also if u didint realize it yet its best to give almost all stat books not to yourself but to Grisenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.