My lvl 16 rogue is officially more deadly than my lvl 23 warrior

Cuckoorex

My rogue just hit level 16; to celebrate, I upped her agility to 6 and trained level 1 Flurry. When she's armed with Stilleto, she's doing something a bit over 38 dps, with Stab 2 and Flurry 1 active, DPS jumps up to a 100! That exceeds the best my warrior can do even with all active battle skills. Did I build him wrong? It seems like the warrior should be much more damaging at level 23 than a 16th level rogue.

IronJosh1988

how did you build your warrior? I think I read somewhere that rogues are the dps kings of ek. it seems backwards as they should rely on tricks and subterfuge to clean house but maybe some balancing will take place before 1.0. I was fairly disappointed in the cleric aswell seems the worst class and the only one you have to pay for. but the extra quests and areas are definitely worth the tiny price tag

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Cuckoorex":ytihqac4 said:
It seems like the warrior should be much more damaging at level 23 than a 16th level rogue.
Actually, not necessary.

Rogue should do one time damage pretty bad (or pretty good, depending from which side you're looking at it).

Warrior on the other had should do more consistent damage for longer periods of time.

This is general consideration. There always may be some ways to improve all your characters.

VDX_360

Staff member
That's a CLASS difference more than a BUILD difference. While warrior and rouge builds vary, in general rouges will have a deadly single attack (stab) or even a higher DPS (fast weapons give more hits) and warriors will have higher defense, higher DPH, more hit points and the ability to take on multiple targets through Cleave, Whirlwind, Charge etc.

And beware the DPS trap. The game measures possible damage, not actual damage after enemy defense is taken into consideration. High DPS with low DPH against a high defense opponent makes for a lot of fast, but very weak hits. That's one of the reasons elemental weapons are so effective for light weapon users as sometimes against tougher enemies, the elemental damage is unblocked and does a lot more than the physical hit.

There's some pretty insane rouge builds with extreme DPS with Stab active that can't survive a room full of monsters that is a breeze for a warrior. So while Stab is a great skill for Rouges (and Flurry is great all around, all classes can get it), those two skills don't make a build too powerful by themselves.

Cuckoorex

Yeah, I see what you mean there about the balance; my rogue might get lucky and take out a high level enemy on one hit once in a while, but still has a really tough time in Mercian Royal Crypt in the big trap room where all the undead spawn suddenly... But the warrior, with better armor and hit points and the cleave skill, barely breaks a sweat. So yeah, I guess it makes sense. Now if that cleric had something more going for it...