My feedback

Skeptikos

I am a moderately experienced RPG player. Games that I loved include Oblivion, Lionheart, Massive Effect, Dispel (obscure russian game), Gothic 2, Fallout...

I decided to buy this game after playing the demo. First off I want to congratulate David, I really like the atmosphere and the ambition of the project and played it addictively. The potential of it (or accurately that of the creator) is humongous, but of course a lot of that is still just potential. I´d like to point out what things didn´t make the game better for me and hopefully could be tampered with if other people concur:

-Difficulty level: My first character was a Rogue in Hard mode. I made it to level 7 doing most missions of that stage, but after playing on Normal and Easy I noticed I could FINALLY do dungeons of my level on one go (or two goes) instead of having to try four or five times with a higher level. The thrill of winning on Hard was cool but it didnt make up for the excessive time required between deaths.

Another huge issue with the difficulty of the game is that I feel inferior having to play on "Easy" (im level 11) just because I want to save games inside dungeons (feature available in most games). The health recovering til 50 hp in Easy is negligible and should be erased. this way we could call the resulting setting "Normal" dont you think? I didnt find the game "easy" on Easy AT ALL. And I wouldnt mind playing on Hard with the ability to save whenever I had to.

-Trolls regenerating is a very bad idea, at least for me. Not only it doubles the resources and effort needed to take out a very strong opponent but it seems like it "bugs" and sometimes a troll resurrects 4 times in a row. I just save and load until the troll dies the first time, lol Aint nobody got time for that, especially when you face more than one! No way to do their dungeon at level 11, unless you go crazy cheating with dozens of potions.

I do like the idea of having to do certain things to special enemies to slay them, like having to use Silver weapons on werewolfs (just a pop culture example).

-Evil deeds are not well rewarded. A crucial part of "morally oriented" (that is decision-making) missions is that, like in real life, being malignant can give you considerable rewards, often superior to being just and compassionate. Why would I even consider killing the lying thief in "Dont shoot the messenger", when that doesnt give me the magic ring and makes me lose "Thiefs Guild" reputation points?

-In the inventory, you cant "stack" weapons on one slot! The scrolls for instance are grouped in one slot but weapons and armor quickly fill the entire inventory. At least having a companion should double the inventory capacity.

-Regarding Red Drake Armour mission, it has two important flaws. The dragons are VERY greedy dropping scales, forcing me to go to Deep Cauldron like four times in a row with each Inn Sleep Night. Maybe I had bad luck. But for me worse was after doing this prolonged mission discovering you only get a shield that is almost identical to a Steel Shield but gives you 20 for fire. I wanted a DRAGON armour, one very strong (at least 4 armour with good magic), to try and defeat Decurion Sargos! Not worth it at all to battle those dragons after running on freaking burning lakes for a shield like that. I wont even comment on the "buckle".

-My class is Cleric and their "Fire Spell" (that explosion), plain sucks. Visually it looks like fireworks, and then in practical terms it doesnt do enough damage nor it covers enough area. The Warrior Whirlwind on the other hand works perfectly for goups. I hoped the explosion could help with the very hard to kill packs of enemies but its a waste of mana and time, better to go with the Melee spells by far. Arbenos Might should clearly get at least one more level. I would give more levels to all skills, actually, especially if all the map is to be created.

-More armors and weapons are VERY needed. I am stuck with Icy Maul since God knows when while my companion has the Great Axe of Falling Stars. And I hope all those enticing locked areas on the map with their 13 (I think) cities will be available at some point. More Tolassian tombs and ruins and therefore more Tolassian loot please.

-Vengeful Wraiths are absurdly powerful (even using a Cleric!), and putting four of them together with an enemy that heals them at the beginning of a dungeon isn´t nice.

-You should be able to attack anyone at any time. This one is a detail that really boosts an RPG. Some people (like me) just enjoy murdering all guards in a town, to test how strong you are (and because you are not right in the head lol). Or loot a lone merchant after taking him out/asking him to hand you all his goods (God have mercy on our soul). Another example, you could anticipate the assault you KNOW a group of bandits will launch on you getting to them first with sneak or ranged damage. There is no need to patiently let them say their shit before jumping on you.

I wont go on here about all the things that I liked, the post would get morbidly obese.

feldon

Loreseeker
Lots of good things in there. I will address a few of them:
1. Killing trolls is not difficult. The killing blow simply has to be done with a fire based attack. Make sure you and your companion have fire weapons and they will fall 1st time every time. Before I had two good fire weapons, I would let my companion battle a troll or two, she would die, I cast AB might and clean up.

2. Saving in dungeons. This feature was originally left out of the game completely due to the nature of the dungeons and the likelihood of someone 'locking' their game by saving in a dungeon w no way of fighting out.

3. Killing everyone. I'd wait until the game is fully developed before asking for this feature. Killing someone wo knowing the long term results can be game breaking. Just ask those that killed Janod, only to find themselves locked out of 4 quests and unable to use towers to transport. Until Thuram is added to the game, this becomes a very costly, unrepairable choice.

4. Inventory. Bag limits are a staple of RPGs. While a slightly larger carrying limit would be nice (rumors have this coming soon in some fashion), having everything stack would eliminate the need to ever return to town unless it was to sleep. I like having to decide what I value and what I can leave behind.

Glad you enjoyed the game so far.

Dimidium

I liked the vengeful wraiths. They're pretty powerful, and a group can kill a top level warrior - I know this firsthand. I am glad the challenge is there.

In relation to another thing you said, very powerful 1 Handed and 2-Handed weapons DO exist for the Cleric. There's a Fist and a Maul. The "Blessed" Armor is reputedly also good for the Cleric.

Rumpole

The vengeful wraiths can be a nightmare, but I think that's the point - notice that they're used sometimes to guard certain points to make sure you don't easily complete quests that ought to be hard (easy as pie). However, if you gear up properly (high death protection, ice or electricity based damage), they don't pose too much of a threat, even with their high damage resistance.
That's one of the (many) things that make this game so great. You can't just put on the best gear, and start running around destroying everything, because there is no best gear. Going into the Mercian royal crypt fully clad in legion armour, the ring of oasis, Iagus' ring of learning and the Ursan charm, will find your lifeless mangled body lying on the floor in no time... same thing with the trolls - if you don't have a fire weapon with you, your life expectancy is pretty short. A lot of times you really need to plan ahead, otherwise life gets complicated (nothing worse than bumping into a bunch of trolls in the wild, armed with icicle... never leave home without my magma shortsword again!).

I agree about the fire drake drops - it's A LOT of going back and forth until you finally get the scales. However, I think the shield you get is probably the best in the game. It's my go-to shield, unless I need a specific resistance - if hunting devourers or vengeful wraiths, for instance (buckler is worthless, I agree, especially with the carapace shield).

I definitely agree about the lack of reward for evil choices, even though I myself never play the bad guy...

Skeptikos

feldon":1ve9u2lb said:
Lots of good things in there. I will address a few of them:
1. Killing trolls is not difficult. The killing blow simply has to be done with a fire based attack. Make sure you and your companion have fire weapons and they will fall 1st time every time. Before I had two good fire weapons, I would let my companion battle a troll or two, she would die, I cast AB might and clean up.

2. Saving in dungeons. This feature was originally left out of the game completely due to the nature of the dungeons and the likelihood of someone 'locking' their game by saving in a dungeon w no way of fighting out.

Lol are you serious? I have been wondering the entire time why the hell my cleric only kills trolls when he uses arbenos might. Sometimes I get really, really thick XD
At level 11 is a fact I kill trolls like they are goblins almost, but when Grissenda killed them, they alway came back. Guess I can try the troll dungeon now!

I understand the choice about dungeons, because more than once it has happened to me what you said. But I still prefer to save inside.

Thanks for addressing some of my drivel!

Skeptikos

Cyla2009":2xdtg9hl said:
I want to kill more dragons now!!!

Me too but only if they drop something. Only the experience isnt worth it for me. ALthough killing something for the first time is always enticing (<--- extremely creepy sentence right there).

Skeptikos

Rumpole":387chdyg said:
I agree about the fire drake drops - it's A LOT of going back and forth until you finally get the scales. However, I think the shield you get is probably the best in the game. It's my go-to shield, unless I need a specific resistance - if hunting devourers or vengeful wraiths, for instance (buckler is worthless, I agree, especially with the carapace shield).

I definitely agree about the lack of reward for evil choices, even though I myself never play the bad guy...

Thats my point, how is that shield the best or one of the best in the game? It should be at least 4 armour. You can buy a similar shield in Freetown (minus the average fire protection). This is a DRAGON shield!! In most RPG games things made up of dragons are very powerful.

Often I have got really nice items like the Oasis ring from otherwise easy missions and I get pissed off when something needs effort (although walking on fire was fun haha) and then the reward is so dissapointing.

Skeptikos

Dimidium":3pfhaezk said:
I liked the vengeful wraiths. They're pretty powerful, and a group can kill a top level warrior - I know this firsthand. I am glad the challenge is there.

In relation to another thing you said, very powerful 1 Handed and 2-Handed weapons DO exist for the Cleric. There's a Fist and a Maul. The "Blessed" Armor is reputedly also good for the Cleric.

Good, thanks for letting me now.

Challenges are great, but I have always been more of the "play on Normal guy".

Until I played Fallout 4 and started shooting around naked with Survival mode. That made me feel like I had grown up as a gamer :lol:

Rumpole

Skeptikos":2l0dxw6i said:
Thats my point, how is that shield the best or one of the best in the game? It should be at least 4 armour. You can buy a similar shield in Freetown (minus the average fire protection). This is a DRAGON shield!! In most RPG games things made up of dragons are very powerful.

Often I have got really nice items like the Oasis ring from otherwise easy missions and I get pissed off when something needs effort (although walking on fire was fun haha) and then the reward is so dissapointing.

Yeah, but these guys aren't dragons... just a bunch of drakes. Considering that they're relatively easy to kill, I don't think it justifies getting a shield with 4 defense. The real dragons actually drop some nice unique equipment (though, I think a bit outdated - I saw David has plans to upgrade some of the items).