Minor nitpicks with the camp encounter mechanic

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
I have been testing out the new camp encounter mechanic and while I was initially sceptical, I do feel like it ended up work out really well.
Camps start off safe if you have supplies, which makes it not too punishing.
There are fitting enemies on each locations, locations that should be safe are permanently safe and the encounters give very little xp, so people can't just grind them.

However, I do still have a few minor notes about the new mechanic.

First of all, reloading a save file completely resets the camp danger status.
This means that if it builds up to a high threat level, you can just reload a save file and it'll be back to calm again.

Next, this is a very minor nitpick, but I feel like Daggerbent shouldn't be permanently safe anymore after you kill the Red Axe bandits.
It makes sense that this location is safe while they are there, as it is a small protected town at that point, but if you kill them then there is nothing protecting the party there anymore.
The place becomes just like any other outdoors camping spot, so there is no reason anymore why some local mirmeks wouldn't decide to attack the party.

Finally, I feel like the system misses a way for you to interact with it, to try and prevent or decrease the dangers.
A way that this could be done, is by making one of the skills decrease the chance of either the danger level or the speed that the danger level increases.
This would fit perfectly as an effect for the survival skill, making that skill a useful pick.
Although it isn't clear to me what the survival skill is doing right now, the text really isn't clear, so perhaps it does already do something for camp safety?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
First of all, reloading a save file completely resets the camp danger status.
This means that if it builds up to a high threat level, you can just reload a save file and it'll be back to calm again.

This is a bug and shouldn't be the case. Working on it, thanks!

Next, this is a very minor nitpick, but I feel like Daggerbent shouldn't be permanently safe anymore after you kill the Red Axe bandits.
It makes sense that this location is safe while they are there, as it is a small protected town at that point, but if you kill them then there is nothing protecting the party there anymore.
The place becomes just like any other outdoors camping spot, so there is no reason anymore why some local mirmeks wouldn't decide to attack the party.
Makes sense, and the system allows this too, will look into it (same with Nosom camp I guess)
Finally, I feel like the system misses a way for you to interact with it, to try and prevent or decrease the dangers.
A way that this could be done, is by making one of the skills decrease the chance of either the danger level or the speed that the danger level increases.
This would fit perfectly as an effect for the survival skill, making that skill a useful pick.
Actually I was considering exactly that, Survival reducing the chance.