Mercenary Shoutout

VDX_360

Staff member
Oh, Mercenaries. How we love to belittle them as useless and overpriced.

But for the second time, a hired mercenary not only survived a fight against the Unweakened Undermother, but also the killing blow. See attached screen shot.

The hired mercenary, Jizar Mert, also survived a fight with a rumor boss Green Dragon, and a random encounter with a hill giant. Alas, he soon fell in the Ashen Waste.

EK_Merc_Kills_UnderMother.jpg

VDX_360

Staff member
He never got targeted, so he could just chip away.

With a Cleric casting Battle Prayer, he got a little boost to his attack and defense, which helped against the dragon.

Kakost

I once saw a ranged mage merc with was clearly death damage. What have ever happened to those types of casters for hire? I only ever see the rogue/warrior types now

VDX_360

Staff member
While I was using my Cleric's healing ability, I don't think any of it spilled over to the mercenary.

What happened is that the Big Bad Baddie attacked my Cleric, leaving my Companion, my Summon and the Mercenary to attack without issue. That happened with the Undermother, the hill giant and the green dragon. Since no one targeted the merc, he took no damage (that I could see). Well, until the Ashen waste turned him into dust.

The total mercenary damage in the Undermother fight was quite notable. Given how tough she is, those little 3 to 4 damage attacks really add up through the entire fight.

My Cleric stayed in the fight using heal, potions, and Intervention once. Because the Cleric lead the charge, the Undermother never switched her attack. I was trying to get her to attack my high defense shield Griss, but alas, the Undermother had other plans.

Typically when fighting the Unweakened Undermother, I hire a mercenary. A lot of times, he or she dies in the first few seconds. Either the Undermother targets the mercenary right awat, or if there's a re-targeting during combat.