Melee Rogue, Ranger Rogue, or both?

1337Pwnzor

I just started playing 3 days ago using rogue. Currently a level 9 melee rogue so my stats and items are kinda crappy. However I saw in this forum that ranged builds for the rogue are decent enough. Would it be a good idea to have both melee and ranged weapons? Or should I stick to Melee? Thanks in advance! :D

Current build at level 9:
Qm75dND.png

a5hKFVG.png

Sounkeng

Either build can be good. Personally, I prefer melee rogues, and so far your build looks good.

Based off of what people have been saying here I think that choosing to play as a melee rogue will make the final dungeon significantly easier.

Take this with a grain of salt considering I have never played a ranger build.

1337Pwnzor

Sounkeng":gmz7r3kb said:
Either build can be good. Personally, I prefer melee rogues, and so far your build looks good.

Based off of what people have been saying here I think that choosing to play as a melee rogue will make the final dungeon significantly easier.

So far. Which skills or traits should I build up or change then? The melee builds I see here don't use stealth and sneak attack.

Sounkeng

1337Pwnzor":asx38ttp said:
Sounkeng":asx38ttp said:

So far. Which skills or traits should I build up or change then? The melee builds I see here don't use stealth and sneak attack.

Personally I like to have 1 level of stealth, for flavor if nothing else. Sneak attack isn't worth much more than 1 point investment, unless you are setting up your combats where you are consistently flanking (which isn't particularly hard to do).

The biggest piece of advice I have for you is to retrain your traits. Strength is fine to train when dexterity and other attributes are so high that they aren't practical to train anymore, but when you are wielding light weapons dexterity is just so much more important than any other attribute.

Gwaihir

Well rogue can find a lot of useful synergies and there is a lot of options for him. I'm keen to say he is the only class for which 8 advanced skills are not enough :)

Your build looks good, explore different options and find whatever suits you. Keep in mind you can fully reset your traits and skills at any point in time, so you will have a chance to adjust.

It's not loke ppl are not using stealth.
I've used it as a one of the critical skill untill smoke bomb was added and I ve pissed how poorly it works considering 12 points cost vs beasts regen and respeced ignoring this skills completely. :)

If someone would ask me
Go for skills directly impacting your base dmg like crit improvements, stab, assassination, flurry and add a bit of defensive capabilities like evasion and body development - this is a core and maybe even a must. Beyond that you can add many different flavours like stelth, poison mastering, traps or archery - depends how long you would like to play and how many skill points you will get.

Regarding traits, just one advice go for agi but don't overrate it. I prerfer balanced traits set. At some point when you will already have massive dps and decent armour class its nice to be flexible and have advantages of other traits at hand.

Gl and enjoy

1337Pwnzor

Sounkeng":3mrnxe8u said:
1337Pwnzor":3mrnxe8u said:
Sounkeng":3mrnxe8u said:

Personally I like to have 1 level of stealth, for flavor if nothing else. Sneak attack isn't worth much more than 1 point investment, unless you are setting up your combats where you are consistently flanking (which isn't particularly hard to do).

The biggest piece of advice I have for you is to retrain your traits. Strength is fine to train when dexterity and other attributes are so high that they aren't practical to train anymore, but when you are wielding light weapons dexterity is just so much more important than any other attribute.

As much as possible I initiate fights by stealth > (back)stab. So even just 1 point of those two skills are enough?

Sounkeng

1337Pwnzor":2nrrt8lh said:
Sounkeng":2nrrt8lh said:
1337Pwnzor":2nrrt8lh said:

As much as possible I initiate fights by stealth > (back)stab. So even just 1 point of those two skills are enough?

I think so, I personally see little incentive to take much more than 1 point in either of those skills, but 1 point does result in a nice initiation combo.

Grim Rapper

I prefer both type of playstyle, while melee rogue can deal a serious damage in general (don't even comparing it with the crit. hit, it's so overpowered), rogue archer have a LOT of DPS comparing to the melee rogue (I've found a trick that if you can adjust the location of the enemy straight diagonal position from you and angle it a little bit farther, the bow "miss" mechanic will negate while the enemy can still attack you stand still) when you're a aggro-type playstyle

I personally maxed the stealth skill purely based on the 50% chance of opening chest without you being revealed (ny playstyle are so lame lol) and scouting the environment to maximize the bow wall glitch for my advantage

As for Sounkeng post, consistant flanking is the main way for the early rogue to gain EXP fast as they can consistently dealing high damage while receiving no damage at all (if you're using Grissenda asap, that is), as you need to rise the AGI trait more for merely higher damage (if you're using light weapon as most of the rogue weapon have)

1337Pwnzor

Gwaihir":t4ujorsf said:
Well rogue can find a lot of useful synergies and there is a lot of options for him. I'm keen to say he is the only class for which 8 advanced skills are not enough :)

Your build looks good, explore different options and find whatever suits you. Keep in mind you can fully reset your traits and skills at any point in time, so you will have a chance to adjust.

It's not loke ppl are not using stealth.
I've used it as a one of the critical skill untill smoke bomb was added and I ve pissed how poorly it works considering 12 points cost vs beasts regen and respeced ignoring this skills completely. :)

If someone would ask me
Go for skills directly impacting your base dmg like crit improvements, stab, assassination, flurry and add a bit of defensive capabilities like evasion and body development - this is a core and maybe even a must. Beyond that you can add many different flavours like stelth, poison mastering, traps or archery - depends how long you would like to play and how many skill points you will get.

Regarding traits, just one advice go for agi but don't overrate it. I prerfer balanced traits set. At some point when you will already have massive dps and decent armour class its nice to be flexible and have advantages of other traits at hand.

Gl and enjoy

What is the maximum amount of trait and skill points can one character have? Cause obviously some skills are going to be prioritized over others.

1337Pwnzor

Sounkeng":2pvm8jdj said:
1337Pwnzor":2pvm8jdj said:
Sounkeng":2pvm8jdj said:

Another thing, isn't Massive Crits and Precision Strikes one of the priority advanced skills to get? That's the sole reason I got STR 3 early.