Melee mage

Ares Voss

You need to interact with Captain Sorom in Solliga and initiate The Cold Trail Quest and kill Hidalix in East Wyvern Mountains inside the Forsaken Fortress and after that you need to go to Icemist and go to the Arcane Knights Area

Trace Da Cruz

keep in mind you need to complete the enclave quests beforehand, for it is the only way to get access to Icemist.

So, as a build, there's some things to check out, like the fact that you need more hp, agility and strength, and you may want stability and stun immunity.

All of this because the mages weren't designed as physical fighters, so they have less hp, and their main damage output is influenced by intelligence.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Oooooooh, a melee mage? You have great taste @Darfanur , and I admire your ambition! :D

As the gentleman already explained, to become an ARCANE KNIGHT of Thuram, you need to complete the quest COLD TRAIL. And it's hard. You'll need high cold resistance, the mage armor spell to survive the numerous traps, you'll need a good fire staff and the fireball spell, and finally, a sturdy Ice Elemental to hide behind. All you need though is to kill the Ice Dragon Hidalix. There are other bosses further in the fortress, but you don't have to beat them. Once you report back to Icemist, you will be given the opportunity to learn the 2 melee mage skills, VAMPIRIC BLADE and ARCANE BLADE. The first allows you to wield any Death weapon (even 2-handed), and the latter allows you to wield light and 1-hand blades of Fire, Cold and Shock. Vampiric Blade steals HP, so it's awesome, but Arcane Blade is the most powerful skill of the 2 by far.

Combine ARCANE BLADE with the close-range spell COMBUSTION, max out the skill BODY DEVELOPMENT for HP, get your hands on the legendary Ancestral Blade of the Deer, and go steal Sir Valeran's Thuramian Plate Armor. You'll then be a true Arcane Knight, and be able to charge zealously into throngs of monsters, exploding in rage, blood, fire and ice and guts, random organs and other unidentifiable body parts. It'll be glorious, I promise.

Meanwhile, if you ever want to fight with a melee weapon even if you're not yet an Arcane Knight, the best one you can get is an Ancient Fang, the tooth of a Primeval Bear that can be used as an excellent dagger. But good luck hunting one ;)

Trace Da Cruz

I just remembered wanting to wield a dagger as a mage, but the ancient fang has never dropped to this day, wielding real blades came first in form of these skills, and something came up:
I didn't had stability nor stun immunity! but I was strong and durable, and never needed that, neither needed those spells, -except disintegrate behind my staff.
As a Vampire, those ursans were merely annoying, but I was a sniper mage.
I loved being a Vampire, though.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I just remembered wanting to wield a dagger as a mage, but the ancient fang has never dropped to this day, wielding real blades came first in form of these skills, and something came up:
I didn't had stability nor stun immunity! but I was strong and durable, and never needed that, neither needed those spells, -except disintegrate behind my staff.
As a Vampire, those ursans were merely annoying, but I was a sniper mage.
I loved being a Vampire, though.

Me too! Playing a vampire assassin was awesome! But tough at low-ish levels. And death magic is sadly ineffective against a lot of creatures, like undead. But I loved it anyway! I also spent lots of time hunting those beautiful Ursans, they have delicious blood, and make for a perfect grinding ground for a death mage :)