Maze of Lamth?

ShadowJack

I have just run through the maze and the nearby area hunting minotaurs and after 10 complete runs I am noticing a drastic reduction in their treasure drops.
I can no longer find any bluesteel axes nor any other treasure worth the effort.
Did you weaken the treasure drops?
All I seem to get from the maze now is empty chests and micro amounts of gold.
So I say what the heck?
Did you lessen the drop rates ? If so please return them to their original usefulness.

ClockworkGhost

The Nilomar Cape is obviously the new North Jabal, and rightly so - all the best quests for that level are over that way, the minotaurs are still not fully developed - they were only ever there for the horns and the quick cash. If you look at the closest area, Freetown, you'd be massacred if you tried dungeon crawling that crypt at level 9.

ShadowJack

I still think all of that would be fixed by giving us a "FAIR" 50% of an items value when we resell said items.
Otherwise it makes the 90 hp potion the most valuable item in the game and all other items meaningless.
I realize many of the items we resell do not have an actual price tag as they are never for sale in stores so to speak but consider the greater belts of strength and agility cost over 20000 gp and when we resell it we get about 25% of that.
Its not like we are desperate nor fools so why the cheapskate prices?
Couldn't we just hike up north to Icemist and get a better price . I hear they are real big on magic items up north.
I even think the drop rates wouldn't seem so bad if the resale price was better.

Aalandryll

Loreseeker
Pots of Lesser Resto ftw.. much better than pots of greater healing. At least at higher levels... run until almost dead, pop that wonderful golden applely goodness into your mouth and 50% of missing immediately recovers... when you have over 200 hp it is better than the 90 you would get otherwise.

And yes resale is 25% of market value. So let's look at economics... You but an item for 100 Gold. Even if you never use it, the likelihood of it being sold for the same price is absurdly low. Most of the time, you lose 20% of value just walking out of the door. Ok, so now the item is being used, hard... I mean adventurers come by and smack around the mob with it for years, and then its gets dropped, gets used for a while, then gets sold off... each and everytime value depreciates. Is a weapon that has been ground down to barely more than a nub due to all the sharpening the same value as a brand new, fresh from the forge, one? Used books, you are lucky to get a 10th of the value you paid for it, so would that not apply to scrolls and tomes and whatnot as well here?

50% based on real life is unrealistic; that would be closer to the 50-75% second-hand stores sell used items for... 25% is honestly generous for most cases. It would be different if you were selling to private individuals but you are in effect selling to a pawn shop.

ShadowJack

Maybe but you forget the most important fact....
We are dealing with magic items in a place where they seem to be more or less common.
Considering magic items and all the other items we buy and sell never get dull or lose their hp or armor value as they never wear out so most of your arguments are invalid. On top of that I was also referring to Every other RPG ever made,they all gave out 50%, I honestly can't think of a single rpg that gave less than 50%.Since this is still a Beta I figured you might wanna keep as many players happy as possible.
My suggestion is just that a suggestion and only backed up by decades (4 of them) of gaming.

Azureth

Keeping the gold scarce is part of me being hyppy. :-D Now when you see those legion plate drops you know you hit a jackpot. If the gold was too easy to come by, it could wreck the balance of the game.

Also you only need the 90hp potions if you need to max that potion timer. The 60hp potion is almost three times cheaper. 250gp for 60hp or 600 for 90hp.

vondarkmoore

1st off, you shouldn't need to use 90hp pots very often. Most of the game just doesn't play that way. If it is taking you lots of 90hp pots then you are either playing in areas above your lvl, or need to rebalance your character or play style.

2nd unless you are in the middle of combat, why would you use 90hp pots. 30hp pot = 100g, 3x30=90, so 300g for same hp as 600g. Also with 2 free restore and resting at inns so cheap, that gives you 3 full health bars befor you need to use any pots. Unless you are trying to run lots of dungeons without resting, you should not need to use so many pots.

3rd if your drinking lots of 90hp pots to get max runs out of the 7%xp scrolls your wasting money. You can buy the 7% scrolls for 400g, 1 of the 90hp pots costs 200g more than the scroll. So use the scroll, run until you have used your restores then go rest, and if needed, buy more xp scrolls.

4th. After you have bought the house, advanced skills, and armor there is basically nothing left to spend gold on. You will stockpile so much gold you won't believe it.

All of my characters carry 200-1500 of the 30hp pots and 0 of the 60 or 90hp pots.

Aalandryll

Loreseeker
Even magic items can and will break over time... And not all of the of the japtem is magically enhanced...

You are correct that most of the other games do a 50% sell rate... but EK is not other games, and I much prefer the reality and immersiveness here to a great number of other games. I base my opinions and statements on the games I have played, help create, and run in my four decades as well. :)

Just because some systems have magical items that are indestructible does not mean this world does. Scrolls could become faded and not as powerful, blades dulled; armor cracked, potions going bad over time or having less effectiveness. David has never said this is the case, but that does not mean it is not a plausible answer for the 25% rate...

Personally, I would love to see an economy function being built into EK, where your personality and reputation with the guilds and factions plays a role...

And by level 16 to 18, normally, you have such a large surplus of gold you literally have nothing to spend it on... so why raise the rate even further?

Rumpole

When I just started, I was also pretty annoyed at the money you get for selling - the beginning is really hard to turn a profit. But as time progresses, and you become more powerful, and can go to more dangerous areas and get better and better and even better drops, money soon becomes a non-issue. And that makes sense - you don't want just any boy who just picked up a sword to be able to quickly purchase the best equipment and become invincible to enemies way above what he should be dealing with. As in most RPGs - start with rats, move on from there...

I was thinking in the beginning the same as Aalandryll, that it would be nice to get better prices as your reputation increases with certain factions (as happens in a lot of RPGs), but now I think it really doesn't matter that much - just because something works some way in one game, doesn't mean it should work the same way in another. This system is fine, and others are fine. And let's not forget that one of the greatest RPGs of all time - Ultima series, and specifically Ultima VII - never had a selling system. You could make absolutely 0 money off the equipment you find. And that worked too, because by the time you progressed enough in the game, getting the best equipment available wasn't a problem - and that's the real issue.

As for 90hp potions - I always have a few on me, but only ever use them rarely in desperate situations. I find it best to avoid getting into those situations in the first place, otherwise - yes, it can get pretty expensive. But that is a question of gameplay, as vondarkmoore suggested.

ShadowJack

I have yet to find a place as nice as the old maze of Lamth.I guess we can rename it to the maze of Lame.