Mage woes

VDX_360

Staff member
Learning to manage who fights who is part of party management. It's a little easier in bosses, but here are some tips.

Sit Gris to Fight Everyone On Sight so she rushes off to fight the boss. Or you can just tell her to not move, than PUSH her in front of you so she's the first to make contact. Don't think of it as hiding behind her, think of it has moving a chess piece.

Summon the Wolf AFTER Griss has engaged in the fight.

Physically push Gris or the Wolf as needed so Griss is the one taking the damage.

Those same tips can help with regular fights / combat but it takes a bit to get used to.

I like to tell Griss to fight only near by eneimies so I have to be mindful needing to either push her in front, or block the Wolf.

Vitas

The Wolf has hiperactivity disorder 😀, so sometimes he jumps ahead like kamikaze and dies in couple of hits, wasting all your "geometry positioning" efforts.
Post automatically merged:    

Another trick is if moving the wolf doesn't work, you can put your cleric in front of him, if the enemy is ranged he will switch target to you. The first enemy that comes to mind for this situation are the Varannari witches/hags, they destroy your wolf fast because he has 0 death resistance, but your cleric has usually high death res.

Last edited:

Shane Ross

I would say mages should make use of the nature of ice, fire, and lesser summoning.
One big thing about them is that they heal from enemies ice, fire and lighting damage.
So if you use them well, they can be extremely tacky in mid or even late game against right enemies, and they may tank some the Iron golem can't(Over all iron golem is stronger in general occasions, but even they can fall quickly).

VDX_360

Staff member
There's two thoughts on the use of elementals:
1) Use opposite to maximize damage (e.g. Summon fire elemental against an Ice Dragon).
2) Use same to maximize defense (e.g. Summon fire elemental against a Fire Dragon).

If you're going to use opposite elemental (i.e. Ice elemental against fire dragon), you should let your Companion take the blunt of the dragon's fury. Or your ice pet will get melted like an ice cube in lava.
Hirge maxed out with the proper elemental resistance, a shield and her natural healing ability can really absorbed an insane amount of damage.

Shane Ross

One draw back of mages is their heavy reliant on elements.
Melee mage is like makes mainly elemental damage, staff mage can deal impressive physical damage as well but what they shine the most is the crazy amount of pure elemental damage to exploit enemies resistance weakness.
However,, in high level games some enemies don't even have weakness to exploit (mainly shadows, elemental lord and the big sleep guy), in this cases mage in my mind performs the worst among four classes. Luckily that is not a big proportion of EK's enemies.

Trace Da Cruz

Well, the Melee Mage does more elemental damage to compensate their low physical damage, and the lack of a bonus from a skill like duel or heavy hand. But to be honest I totally overlooked that fact, after all a build is more a choice than an alternative, or a "right way" to play, it would not be fun if wand was better than staff, for example...

VDX_360

Staff member
One draw back of mages is their heavy reliant on elements.

Not really?

Staff and Wand mages get some all physical weapon options. And a lot of Summon builds skip right to the Iron Golem, which is physical.

Plus, mages get a wide range of spells and weapons with elemental damage to let them pair the right elemental damage for the need at hand.

Molokot

Shane Ross, mages arent reliant on elemts, yes you can carry couple of staves with you and switch them to your benefit depending on enemy, but in practice its 95% fire staff, and you can use frost staff versus fire based enemies, and death staff on king of korne (after you kill him u can sell it :D)
and lightning staff for robots and some monsters in sleepers lair. But you have staff of power that is 100% physical and can kill evrything + if you add desintegrate to it (also physical) it can do realy high damage. And for shadows you can use staff of traveler , well if u are lazy , you can use staff of traveler all the time and it work on evrything,just less eficient that proper applied elemental staves.
End game mage is definietly one of strongest options, but also need more levels than other guys, like 27 to have full potential, while you can have all realy needed skills at 25 on other guys. But it doasnt mean he is weak on levels below 27, he is only weak before aquiring golem.

Trace Da Cruz

Actually, my mage was strong enough at level 24, being able to beat the Sewer of Horrors, but yeah, I carry a variety of staves, and mostly use the Staff of Impact, about the Staff of the Traveler? that one is very rare, I have never seen one...

Molokot

Staff of traveler drops in ashen minotaur temple, need to farm it, but its not rare at all.