Mage for beginner

VDX_360

Staff member
A note about summons.

I like using the Iron Golem as a go-to summons. He's a great all purpose summons, and by the mid-game, a mage has enough magic to summon him a few times if needed. BUT, that doesn't mean the other golems are worthless. Fire and Ice golems are pretty durable, and when used effectively can be pretty awesome. A Level 16 Fire Golem makes a great chew toy for ancient red dragons. Their fire breath keeps him alive. Same for when using a Level 16 Ice Golem against ice dragons, or the Elemental Lord.

Pros and cons. Best advice, play with the golem you like, and learn to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of each. I've beaten the game with a summoner mage that didn't even learn earth mastery, and had to use Ice and Fire golems. Did pretty well.

Kyujin

@VDX_360 you've got presice shot and massive criticals! Nice1..without MCs presice shot kinda sucks, thats my noob opinion! But as a vetren EK player yourself are PS & MCs worthwhile for Mages?

VDX_360

Staff member
It's less about if they are useful, and more if there's a more pressing need for you exact mage.

You are limited to 8 advanced skills. So learning either of the critical hit skills might prevent you from learning something else.

I opted to get those skills this playthough simply because they were on my mind from this thread.

If I was sticking with a more dedicated summoner, maxing out Fire Mastery and Ice Mastery might have been more worthwhile.

VDX_360

Staff member
Followed the in-game leads to take on the Arc after Shards of Fate. Ending up clearing the Sunken Citadel and the entire Arc in one swoop.

Traits: STR 3, END 4, AGL 4, INT 7, AWA 3, PER 4
Skills: Mage Armor 4, Staff Mastery 4, Lessor Summoner 2, Mana Surge 2
Advanced Skills: Precision Shots 1, Massive Criticals 1, Body Development 3, Arcanist 1, Fire Mastery 1, Ice Mastery 1, Earth Mastery 3, Summoner 3.
Main Weapon: Telsa Staff (staff of force as back-up)

Note1: Investing in Body Development 3 by error. I reached Level 22 in the final area of the Arc and increased Body Development thinking I needed it to be Level 3 to increase health from STR. I had the +3 STR belt with me and wanted to use it. It was nice having almost 500 HP as a mage. Went for Peaceful Ending. If going for violent end, the HP might have helped in the fight.

Note2: Had I not invested in STR 3, I would have had enough trait points to raise INT to 8.

Didn't Grind. Didn't Rush. Tried to play at an even pace, going where in-game hints took me.
Time: 37h
Days: 95
Quests: 83/97
Town Hall Quests: 0
Secrets Found 70
Enemies Killed: 5126

No real complaints. Between Mage Armor and Body Development, this build is a bit defensive. Some of those skill points could have been used to invest in offensive abilities. But the this build did well.

Just did to wrap up the misc quests. Lots of area not explored. Just didn't stumble across them following the in-game prompts.

Sam_D

Had a bit of improvement.Griss is helped a lot.already cleared all two tremadan tower dungeon.Fire Golem also a big help.

I did a lot of exploring and clearing dungeon to this level.Already explored to the south to Friguld,northwest to iross,and some areas near freetown.
Also already cleared most of varsilia dungeons.

Did some quests like the lost coven.I skip three elemental golem using invisible potion in the north room tough,still cant handle that.

Still havent complete Outstanding Aprentince,the trolls still too hard for me.I also cant walk trough them using invisible and speed potion,they are too many.

I already planned the bank robbery with Zilda,but first i have to complete master laboratory for bag of holding,i tried looking for diamond in castle bluerock.Thats one of hardest dungeon for me now,their arrow always aimed for me,while Griss and the golem fightning their swordsman.Thats my problem now,i feel like the aggro not get Griss and the golem but always for me.No matter how far i run,the enemy always chasing me,not Griss and the Golem,well not all foes,but mostly i feel like that.

Anyway i just bought the third townhall vault,so now i tried to recover my golds.Also still not sure choosing my skill path.

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
Enemies tend to focus on who attacks them first. With a ranged attack, that will be you. It takes some practice, but a player can get good at lining up first attacks so that Gris and Fire Golem take the main thrust. Note, you can "hide" behind Gris and push her towards the enemy. Once she is in an aggro state, you tend to push through her (that was done to avoid getting trapped between her and an enemy). If you pushing her directly towards the monster when you first attack, it has to run in a straight line to get to you. That puts Gris right in the middle.

Also, telling Gris to only fight what's near her, or what's hit her can undermine her ability to protect you. The range is pretty limited. Telling her to attack everything might cause her to sometimes chase something too far away.

The AI doesn't allow a "protect me" command. Nothing quite like watching Gris and your Golem gang up on a lone skeleton while letting a mob of them run right at you.

Trolls are tough in early game. They get easier with a little improvement to your gear. Trolls serve as a good mile marker for where you are in early game combat readiness.

Neponde

The sparklings in the abandoned tower are a much easier source of diamonds than bluerock as a mage.
Summon your own (invincible) little friend against them. They are weak to fire, so your wand is sufficient. Clear that big room once or twice more and you should get the diamonds you need.

If you really want to kill those 3 golems in the north room...

Go to the south room, park griss on the far side of the poison pit, then go back and aggro the golems, and drag them through the poison. They don't repeatedly spawn, you just need to clear them once. If you have some toxic resist, this works marvelously. (Lab gloves, ring of health, jungle boots, trollskin item).

The trolls suck. I sympathize. Keep at it!

Sam_D

Finally i made it to icemist and become member of the wizard guild,iam on level 17 now.

Already had earth mastery but still not have enough skill point.I think i will reset my skill points but still not sure.

What skills should i choose?If i switch to staff mage summoner,is elemental skills like lightning bolt not needed anymore?Tbh i enjoy using them,and i was thinking to get mage barrier too.

VDX_360

Staff member
Best Advice: Go for a build you enjoy playing. It is a game, after all. As long as you are making reasonable progress in the game, you're doing okay.

If you want to start leaning towards a mix mage build (spells, staff mastery, summons) than you are on a decent track. Just give your skill points at the next level up to Earth Mastery.

If you have enough gold, the INT +2 belt is great for mages.

Sam_D

Well its been a while guys,in fact almost a year i am not playing ek and posting in this forum since my last post.I am wondering are yall still active in this community.
Anyway i have just downloaded exiled kingdoms again,still playing my old save game with my mage character.

My mage build is still as same as my last post,i want to ask where can i find some advanced staff or Wand?
And which skill path that useful to combine with it my new skill earth mastery?

I do enjoy using spells skills but i wonder if there any other alternative skill path if i want to reset my skill point,i havent ever reset my skill point yet and i think it is a mess now so maybe i'll try a reset