Mage for beginner

Sam_D

@VDX_360
Thanks for the advice.
I already knew the basic about troll and elemental resistance before.
I guess the problem is in Hirge,all this time i use Hirge only to level her up a little bit.I think its enough,i will back using Griss for now.Since i havent try equip her with icicle that i just got.Its my favorite weapon back when i used warrior,it will be useful in fire pit.I also can equip her with shield now because previously i equip her with 2h ice sword.
I think i will be back using Hirge when i get earth mastery

Maybe i will take fire mastery first.

VDX_360

Staff member
The Icicle lends itself well to the fire pit :)
It's a powerful weapon that can be gotten rather early (just need to keep that pesky actor alive).

You don't need to use a Companion to level them up. When a Companion re-joins your party, they get a XP bonus that's based on the difference between your XP and they XP they have when they rejoin. It keeps them comparable to if they never left your party. Sticking with one will have a slight XP lead but not much to worry about. So swap between them as needed.

For early game, esp for new mage players, Gris does well with a shield. It just keeps her alive in those tough fights.

VDX_360

Staff member
Also feel free to share areas you struggled, and why. And areas you did well, and why. That will help this thread be useful for other players looking for tips / advice on beginner mages.

Neponde

I use Gris over Hirge too. I know, with good equipment, hirge is better for summon mages. But Griss and I have been through so much by that point, I have a hard time leaving her behind.

Icicle + shield gris is a potent weapon for much of early - mid game. Except against ice foes, takes a while to find a weapon that beats it, imo.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
[Icicle] takes a while to find a weapon that beats it, imo.

There are seven superior (in terms of DPS) Light weapons in the entire game.

Hunters Machete reward of The Father of Wolves quest.
Primal Icicle high-end boss & dragon drop.
Dancing Flame / Fiendish Dagger found in Temple of the Sleepers.
Shadow Blade dropped by Void Lord.
Nanocarbon Scalpel in the Arc.
Queen's Heart (Icemist Underlevels).

In other words, Primal Icicle is likely the first better Light weapon you'll get.

So yeah, whilst Icicle is fantastic to have at low level (because it makes the game so easy) it is superior to anything the mid-game Light weapon availability choice is, and that means relegating Hammer of the White Priest, Magma Shortsword, Flaming Warhammer, Despair, Lighting Falchion, Spirit Breaker, Sonnet, Troll Cleaver, Stiletto, Magma Dagger and even Adamantite Shortsword to situational use, certainly for Warriors, Rogues, Adaon, or Griss.

VDX_360

Staff member
@Kyujin , Hello back!

Some players love running around flinging ranged attacks from their sticks. They are same ones that can be found in the Wizard Tower talking about the size of their wands. If that's you, you might want to consider tossing some points into precision shots. Wand accuracy is popular with the ladies, according to Ilemma and I've learned not to argue with her.

Just-My-Stick Mages have beaten the game. So it's a viable build.

But if you're trying to go "elemental mastery summoner" you might not have the skill points to spare until Level 18 to 20. Also, does that mean you're going for elemental spells + summoner? Or elemental weapon + summoner.

Note, there's a discussion here on the oddity with precision shots and massive criticals when it comes to pure elemental weapons. That might alter the pro/con assessment.

Kyujin

I'm going for elemental weapon + summoner, considering to get the ice spell only. I'm only using staffs got the fire and poison staff at present, i guess with precision hits I'll just wait and have my skill points ready until then

VDX_360

Staff member
There are several build options that would work than. Maybe toss a skill point into Precision shots, and how you like it. It will only help you so it's not wasting a skill spot.

Criticals hits with a pure elemental weapon can give hefty damage so you might see a notable impact on play. Keep us posted how it works for you.

VDX_360

Staff member
Level 21 Check-in: Just found out about Ashen Wastes (spoke to ghost), gave 50k gold to the shrine for XP, that made me reach Level 21.
Haven't done any grinding, but it feels like I've reached super build status with a sizable chunk of the game left.

Traits: STR 3, END 4, AGL 4, INT 6, AWA 3, PER 4
Skills: Mage Armor 4, Staff Mastery 4, Lessor Summoner 2, Mana Surge 2
Advanced Skills: Precision Shots 1, Massive Criticals 1, Body Development 2, Arcanist 1, Fire Mastery 1, Ice Mastery 1, Earth Mastery 3, Summoner 3.
Main Weapon: Staff of Wonders with element staff for area.

Note: STR 3 for the sole purpose of getting massive criticals, which pairs well with getting Body Development 2. Mage has a little extra HP. It was a tough choice between that or other skills like Arcanist 2, Incinerate, or even buffing up the other summons.

Reached Level 20 doing clean-up quests like putting the traitor to rest, clearing out the deserted fortress, Gris' side-quest.
Have 79 quests, completed with 6 active quests.
Killed a few rumor bosses, but no Town Hall Quests
Not much of a challenge.

The big choice is to either press forward for the main quest, or to finish cleaning up the misc. quests left. There are still large areas of the map not explored, and several dungeons untouched. It's a big world.