Mage Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonOfTheNorthe

MOD NOTE: This forum user thread does not replace the feedback forum as the place to make suggestions, or the support forum for the place to report bugs. Feel invited to discuss the mage class but feedback or support concerns buried in this thread, might not get overlooked by the Developer or support staff. Thanks.

This thread is for any and all questions, comments, concerns, quips, and conversations regarding the newest class!

Do you prefer staves or wands? What skills do you invest in? How do you spread your trait points? What are your companion's skills and traits? Where are the best places to aquire mage gear? What are your favorite things about the mage? All that and more in this thread!

AhDeh

Fireball and equipping the companion with fire resist! Works flawlessly! I also prefer staff because of the scaling bonuses and easy to kite with.

And thank god for the new teleport scrolls!

VDX_360

Staff member
So far, it seems all the hiccups are expected ones. The Mage is squishy so is a bit underwhelming early on and will be less tank like through the game. Grind a little more for a few extra levels seems to help balance the dungeons.

Hirge and Grissenda seem to pair better with a Mage early on. Hirge for the healing, Griss for the durability. Adaon seems a little awkward (two glass cannons make an interesting team).

One catch-all thread might be a bit ambitious. Might be better to let the topics trickle in as they come. Too much ground for a thread makes it hard for forum users to follow.

VDX_360

Staff member
Q: Why do companions need so much fire resist?
A: Friendly fireball.

Using a Companion to bait a mob into a center spot works well.

waclawczernobyl

You don't need to equip companion with fire resit. Fireball isn't supposed to affect them. And it doesn't, at least in my version of the game (1053).

AhDeh

Hmm interesting, gonna have to try it out. But you might be right....

clockworksalmon

Rip with fireball, the damage is delayed, you can fire it at point blank and run away from the damage before you get hit!

Also it doesn't hit companions.

I'm using staff, the slow really helps for when mobs decide to stop attacking the tank and run at me. Wand sometimes screwed me over because I'd push mobs too far, griss would chase it and end up pulling more mobs.

Mage shield coupled with the mage barrier advanced skill from the new grand tower is super strong, get it!

Renothian

I got a mage going with Hirge, a mage and a cleric, both in robes (appearance makes a big difference to me) and I finally found my groove in this game. Mage uses a wand with an orb, and Hirge is a 2 handed healer and tank... Yes I die a little more but I love my pair :lol:

And with a +1 agi +20 mana belt for mage and +1 str +20 mana belt for cleric, I will be unstoppable... Yet to get those yet at 15k each but I know where they are and grinding relentlessly for them...

Rylocke

I'm enjoying the mage quite a bit so far. I've died more than my other characters, but I'm still level 9.

One thing I'm having a hard time deciding is the elemental mastery skills. I want an elemental summon, but I can't decide which would be most useful throughout the game, as I haven't been very far in the story. So far I've seen the ability to upgrade lesser summoning into a fire or ice elemental, so if anyone has feedback on that I'd appreciate it.

I'm currently using a wand and orb, as the extra mitigation and mana seems more useful than extra damage, but that'll probably change in a few levels once the extra mana is negligible and the damage boost is more noticable. Does the slow effect from staff mastery affect attack and cast speed it just movement?

Currently I'm running around trying to finish the 4 tower quests to gain access to the guild, so I'm excited to see the rest of the ultimate skills and what they sell there.

VDX_360

Staff member
Downside of fire ball is the same delay that allows a caster to walk away from a point-blank discharge also allows moving targets to clear the blast range.

Fireball also can fail to be cast in certain narrow areas because the game thinks the person is too close to a wall.

And the Q and A was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.