Mage class WAND OR STAFF BUILD?

Shawn Snow 84

Hey fellow kingdom killers! I'm a lvl 13 mage at the moment farming and leveling up in the dead woods dungeon. My question is and I'm contemplating on switching from staff weapons to wands. My concern is that I may be missing out on a better build being able to use a greater magic shield sphere as opposed to just using a two handed staff. I've maxed out the skill for my staff, slowing down enemies and enhancing damage dealt. I'm using Hirge as a companion simply because she heals and has warrior capabilities while sending my lesser summon out and I stand in the back sniping with my staff. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:) thank you

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1501142812512.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501142812512.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 5,675

VDX_360

Staff member
There are pros and cons of wand vs staff builds so it really is player choice.

That being said, staff builds seems to be more popular with players as they staves do more damage and have a notable chance of inflicting slow, both viable to the kite-to-kill fighting tactic of mages.

The more recent update slow a minor tweak to Wand Mastery so wands can do slightly more damage than before. Wands. on average, also use less mana per attack or per inflicted damage, which leaves more magic for spell casting (Note: that's an overall assessment and there's still details be sorted so subject to change?).

The big benefit of a wand is the knock-back from each attack and the ability to use an orb or something in the off-hand spot. Very early game the all-class buckler can give some much needed protection to a baby mage but after that, orbs and similar items will take over. Knock-back is a love-it-or-hate-it skill that will either let you kill an enemy with them never getting close to you or frustrate you as it doesn't stop them and you get massive damage.

A few players have experimented with dual wand and staff builds, trying to capture the plus of both. Use a quick slot to swap between the two. I caution against dual specializing in the game, but so far players seem happy with tyring to use both a wand and a staff.

VDX_360

Staff member
A discussion related to this topic is occurring in the feedback area. I encourage you to read the exchange as well as the Developer's statements about pending adjustments to the wand build mage.

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=44670#p44670