Guide Mage best skills set

User guide, walktrough, instructions how to do something...

DiegoMerlin

Costumo usar bola de fogo, raio, invocação e fonte de maná no máximo
Habilidades gerais, eu uso só o descanso extra no máximo.
N o avançado, portal de uso, desintegrar, arcanista, Dominio de terra, conjurador e arcanista, todos sem Máximo.
Post automatically merged:    

Do advanced eu acredito que o portal é essencial pra se transportar rápido para qualquer lugar e não levar danos

Last edited:

Vitas

I agree with Spanish guy.

This is an ok build, calling it best is little bit overboard.

You have no aoe skill, I personally like Lightning much more than Desintegrate.

Toxic Ward is a waste of slot.

No Extra Recovery on a Mage who use a lot of spells. You need Extra Recovery for your Hirge too ( you probably have Hirge to heal your Golem)

You have no points in Gate. That may be my personal preference but I have always max Gate on mage/cleric.

You have Mage Barrier which is an ok skill, but it doesn't work well with Golem. Golem stays in front, what you need is high damage to support your Golem.

About traits, your Int is too low. Why the hell do you need 8 Str?? 😑

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
I dislike "best" build discussions. There's just too much room for personal preference, playing style, and exact situation in the game to have a true, objectively measured "best" build.

I prefer discussing the pros and cons of a build. That is a more productive dialogue.

The mage build above has a lot of strengths.
Maxed Earth Mastery + Summoner = A rather powerful iron golem.
Maxed Staff Mastery + Mid-range INT = Rather strong go-to attacks.
Mage Barrier helps a lot. Not just with enemies that get by your golem and your attacks, but also with traps. (Mage barrier negates a trap attack.)

The rest is just frills. Those three above will make a mage able to walk though most dungeons like their a walk through Lannegar Valley.

Some possible cons:
STR seems a bit high for a mage. Was the mage originally going to be an Arcane Knight? The extra hit points are helpful.
INT could be a little higher. Maybe move some points from PER and STR into INT. That would increase attack and give more a little more mana.

Not really factors unless playing style:
Extra Recovery isn't needed for the game. It's nice to have if you're struggling, but a decent player with a decent build shouldn't need it.
Arcanist is nice if you rely on mana using staves, but it's not really needed. A Staff mastery mage can do brutal damage with non-maga using staves, and then switch to mana-using ones when needed, such as a boss fight. If you're playing preferences relay on those staves, yeah, get Arcanist as it helps a lot with keeping you mana consumption down.
Teleport scrolls are dirt cheap by mid-game, so teleport isn't the most required skill. Even with the reduction in skill points at the last update, it's still takes up skill points. Gold is cheap. Skill points are priceless.
Sinking points into toxic ward will help in a few spots, and free up equipment choices for other benefits. But it's not a must-have skill. Useful when you need it, but not a skill you're going to use every dungeon.
Mage

I could go on, but it would start to sound nit-picking.

There are good builds, there are solid builds, but there is no "best" build.

Vitas

I agree with most of it, but some of my opinions I must defend 😀

- I really like Extra Recovery, especially on mage/cleric. And in this case, Summoner mage +(supposedly) Hirge, Extra Recovery is rather mandatory.

Mana potions cost a lot. Even Iron Golem is rather mediocre in late game, he needs a lot of resummoning/heal.

Extra Recovery actually increase your DPS indirectly, through ability to cast frequently Lightning Ball.
For example, how much will Precision Shots increase dmg (from II to III)? One extra lucky crit in like 15 hits? But one Extra Recovery, that's a bunch of free Lightning Bolts ( and a bunch of free Hirge heals of course)

- second thing, about Teleport, the scrolls are affordable end game (though 600 is not exactly cheap). But what if you teleport A LOT?😆
Like non stop teleporting to Freetown (to sell your stuff for more gold) then to Tower of Tremadan, then to Nivarian/New Garand to pick or stash something in the chests? The freedom to teleport whenever, wherever you want for 20 mana, isn't that wonderful?😌

Teleport is a standard ability in a RPG (originating in Diablo). Not having teleport while playing Warrior/Rogue in EK is rather uncomfortable for me, I must say honestly.

-and one more thing, you don't need Mage Barrier for trap protection, Mage Armor is enough for that

Last edited:

VDX_360

Staff member
That's a good point about Mage Armor. I tend to lump-in trap protection with the defensive ability.

Vitas

Your comments are one of the best on this forum, I just like discussing about this and that, I hope you don't mind.

DiegoMerlin

Teleporte pra mim é essencial, se gasta pouco maná e ainda escolhe o destino (uso teleporte no máximo), agiliza muito o jogo, dá mais objetividade como no exemplo do Vitas. Extra recovery uso pra não ter que ir dormir nas cidades o tempo todo, um mago precisa de Maná e poções de Maná são caras e recarregam muito pouco, recovery no máximo multiplica essas reservas de Maná sem precisar ir pra cidades. Jogo com a Hirge pra ajudar no suporte tanto meu quanto do Golem de ferro (no nível máximo)

VDX_360

Staff member
@Vitas, discussions are the entire point of the forum : - )

And there's a lot of different playing styles out there so it's good to have different viewpoints chime in... least it become a montone discussion on a vanilla build.