[LIGHT SPOILERS] - Advice for newbies

KimPera

Re: Advice for newbies?

Trasd":22l2uh85 said:
I read something like this elsewhere, too. Did I miss something, can I get to my hirelings inventory? If so, I cannot figure out how!

I also read somewhere about keeping "teleport" scrolls on my toon, but I cannot find where to purchase them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, you still have all of it to discover, grats :)

There's two "companions" in the game, NPCs that you can equip, train skills, and don't die permanently. They also have nice dialogues, and one quest (or more?). Apparently David will add more companions, I guess one of each class at least.

First one is...
in the colony west of Lannegar, a warrior girl. You need to complete the ring quest to get her to join you, though.

Second one is too much of a spoiler for this thread I think.

EDIT: Recall scrolls can be purchased in most towns but not in Lannegar I think, and also they're loot in chests that are deep into dungeons.

PS: cute dog!

Trasd

+KimPera (or is it @KimPera here?).

Thanks, and thanks for the pup, he's my bud! He's stone deaf. My other shih tzu is diabetic and, because of that, he's deaf and blind. Poor babies!

I didn't look at the spoiler, thanks for protecting it. I take my time in these things and explore every nook and cranny - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I went with a pure archer build, so I'm leveling a bit before venturing too far from the start. I'm level 5, but only uncovered 5 or 6 maps.

I think an archer build is doable, but the game seems to not be cooperating! I think it's geared more toward melee, but we'll see how it goes.

KimPera

Trasd":1d6pucl6 said:
Thanks, and thanks for the pup, he's my bud! He's stone deaf. My other shih tzu is diabetic and, because of that, he's deaf and blind. Poor babies!

Poor little things. I'm glad they found you!

Trasd":1d6pucl6 said:
I take my time in these things and explore every nook and cranny

You're going to love this game then :)

KillerX

I started with a ranger build myself but switched to melee as I still haven't found any bows with extra stats, lots of edged weapons with extra stats tho. But I still keep my oak bow since it's useful for pulling guards off big bosses to thin the herd. Lots of luck to ya

Trasd

KimPera":1dewfm19 said:
Poor little things. I'm glad they found you!
After 14 years (with the older one), they are a part of the family!

KimPera":1dewfm19 said:
You're going to love this game then :)
When I read "Open World," I was hooked! I have Beamdog's Baldur's Gate I and II as well as Icewind Dale, and even KotOR (and quite a few other RPGs), but I find myself playing this one!

KillerX":1dewfm19 said:
I started with a ranger build myself but switched to melee as I still haven't found any bows with extra stats, lots of edged weapons with extra stats tho. But I still keep my oak bow since it's useful for pulling guards off big bosses to thin the herd. Lots of luck to ya
You hear that David! Add some good bows! :twisted:

Rylocke

Re: Advice for newbies?

SuperCitizen":3lvzwceb said:
The captain has 2 quests, the first is very easy, the second one don't try until you are level 2.

I'm level 3 warrior, wearing every piece of armor available to me (6 total armor) and a steel mace with 7.4 dps. My health is over 100, as I've chosen 3 endurance. I've got whirlwind 2 and use it liberally, I understand how to use and recharge the healing, I have a hired merc every time I leave town, yet I'm unable to finish basically any quest available to me at this point, especially "Head-hunting" (the captain's second quest).

I'm pretty adept at role playing games and generally find little trouble, even on much higher difficulties, but I think this particular game starts out a bit too difficult. Ramping up the difficulty through levels 1-5 or so would be helpful, as I can imagine many players will be put off by the repeated deaths or need to run all the way back to town repeatedly and restart dungeons constantly.

I'm just grinding at this point to obtain exp and better equipment, so I'll work my way up there, but if others are testing the game out to determine whether or not to buy a license, I foresee frustration in their future.

KillerX

You gotta play it like a old school rpg where even the rats and tiny bugs kill you when first starting a new game. I've started a cleric after finishing my warrior and it's just as hard to start as the first time I played, I love it. Just gotta remember to play it old school.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Head Hunting is probably the hardest quest in the free portion of the game. Instead, as said above in this same thread, I advise you to move to Northern Bluemist to get your first companion (town mercenaries are mere cannon fodder). It makes the game much easier. the quest you're looking for is "A warrior's honor", and, in case you think it's not doable...

you don't have to clear ther whole dungeon to do it, just find what you're looking for, and make sure to carry a potion of death resistance.