Leveling a Mage

vpy

I like to play spellcaster but I find that mages in this game tend to be very weak compared to melee.
I am level 2 though .
Do they get better at any level ?

Also which stat boosts the damage of wand and staves ?

p4ran0id

Staff member
Oh yes! Mages are weak at the beginning, but become real monsters with higher levels. Also, high intelligent gives you additional XP bonus, so they lvl faster then other classes.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Also, you can't play mage as you play melee character. And even in low levels they can be "monsters" in killing most enemies with one hit. Of course, you need to use magic to achieve this (I start with fireball).

Later people say they get much stronger, but from my perspective, mage with Grissenda is pretty formidable from start. You can get Grissenda with L2-3, so, from very start mage is strong.

It doesn't mean you won't die at all, of course.

Duck123

Loreseeker
Once you get to any of the wizards guild enclaves or ice mist you can learn some OP spells, I think that is when they really get good

Wyrm

Loreseeker
Mage class using Mage Armor maxed and summoner maxed I think is the strongest character in the game. But mana management is most important factor for success. Summoning a level 18 iron golem while enemies bounce off you makes you nearly indestructible. Add agility based Hirge with mystic bone and shield of wisdom and you have strongest combo with fastest way to level up. I don't even waste skill points on recovery with the mage/cleric combo. Fire spell is good early on fighting undead and trolls. Lighting good for the Ark, but spells aren't really needed. Max arcanist with wand(more fun because you can use all gear), max summoner, and max mage armor. Character is at 40% XP bonus before scrolls.

VDX_360

Staff member
There are a few mage builds that do really well in the game, but early on, they need to be a little more careful than other classes. Getting Grissenda as soon as possible helps too.

Level 2 is way, way too early in the game to make a judgement about any class. It's a long, challenging game. Don't rush it. :)