Kudos and hello from a newbie

Qeltar

I'm an old-school RPG player looking for something to "scratch the itch" on mobile. I haven't had any luck with multiplayer games so far, even though that's my preference, so I turned to single player games where multiplayer is planned, and stumbled upon EK. (I realize it's single player now but hopefully by the time I get bored of that multiplayer will be in development.)

The first thing I read about this game is that it is developed by one person. As someone who has been a "one man show" myself on several large projects, this blew my mind. When I discovered that the cost to unlock the whole game was only $4, I paid it pretty much "sight unseen" which is something I almost never do. Even if I don't like the game, I'm happy to support anyone with the guts to try something like this!

David, you have my respect, for living your dream, and for the amount of work I can only imagine this requires.

As for the game itself, I haven't even started my first character yet and I'm trying to figure that out. Even though I've read a lot of threads saying cleric is hard to play, I will probably do that because I like casters. (I wish mage was ready!)

I'm not sure where to put my attribute points though. Are these choices permanent or can you change them later?

Also I keep seeing that cleric is good against undead but that seems a little limiting.. or is there a LOT of undead in this game? :)

Anyway, hello and thanks for any advice you may wish to give a newbie starting out. :)

Zwackley

Loreseeker
There are trainers later in the game who can reset your traits if you pay them gold.

In the early game, a cleric will want PER as it is the primary trait determining mana. INT is less helpful to a new cleric than PER. As a new cleric, you don't want to spend points on AWA. However, END, STR, and AGI all have their uses but you only have limited trait points to spend initially. A bit of END will help you from getting killed by the first puny goblins you encounter.

Qeltar

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, is there anything to do once the storyline is complete? I'm not much into replaying story-based RPGs with different classes and kinda wondered what people do once they've mastered the game.

Ian Skylark

Welcome to the game, and the forums!

Seeing as you're an old-school RPG player like many of us, I know you're going to enjoy it.

The Cleric isn't hard to play at all, at least I certainly don't think so... it's very straightforward, we just have more options and ways to approach a battle than the other classes. Actually, rogues have a lot of different tactics too.

As for the Undead, we're really strong against them, but it's not all we're good at, lol. We just have an edge over them. A big edge. As Zwackley explained, focus on PER but don't neglect the other traits that can increase your melee damage or health. You can always reset them if you mess up, at the cost of gold.

Once you get some more experience in the game there are different builds you can try or even create your own. Happy adventuring.

Edit: Oh! Once you beat the game you can continue to level up, raise your reputation with the kingdoms, hunt for the best gear or just wait for more content to come out. David's got a lot more he's planning to release.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Qeltar":sqdgvvk2 said:
I'm not sure where to put my attribute points though.

Thanks and welcome to the Kingdoms. One small tip regarding traits: there's a small "info" icon that tells you what they do exactly.

As for which ones... I'd always put at least one point in AGI and one in PER.

Qeltar

Thanks for the replies!

I haven't started yet but hoping to do so tonight.

I did see the info icons but I'm a little perfectionistic and was afraid of allocating unwisely if it couldn't be changed. (It takes me weeks to make a P&P D&D character!)

David, I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but given other updates, the fact that you are one person, and I see mention of another game.. would it be correct to say that multiplayer is going to be 2019 or later?

Again, very impressed with what you have done here.

Qeltar

Started playing... a little different than I expected but seems to have potential.

I found the tutorial lacking, however. I went through it and feel like there are still some basics I don't know. I've searched for the info here and in the wiki and online.. it's hard to find.

Basic stuff like:

- Can I pause the game so time stops ticking?
- Do I need to rest or is it optional?
- How do I get my mana back aside from potions? It doesn't seem to regenerate on its own which makes me wonder if playing cleric will be a bit limited (but does make it feel more "true" to old-style D&D).

Combat seems to be pretty simple so far... stuff runs into me and I whack it until it's dead. I assume this gets more complex later on. :)

Zwackley

Loreseeker
Qeltar":25w2xo7z said:
- Do I need to rest or is it optional?
- How do I get my mana back aside from potions? It doesn't seem to regenerate on its own which makes me wonder if playing cleric will be a bit limited (but does make it feel more "true" to old-style D&D)

Mana is recovered when you use the recovery button on the left side of the screen or rest at an inn. The recovery button can be used twice -- and then gets reset when resting at an inn.

Sounkeng

Entering an inventory space, talking, interacting with buildings etc... pauses in game time. As does opening opening the gear/or map. Additionally if you close the app it typically (although not always) save your progress, so when you return to the exact moment that you closed the game.

This community is more than happy to field other questions you may have when you have them.

Qeltar

Thanks for the replies.

Wow, really gotta conserve the mana then. Very much like old school games I guess, I have gotten spoiled by quickly regenerating mana. ;)