Item update thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
You, players, know the little details of the game better than me. Especially about some classes. I'd like to know what little adjustments here and there could improve existing itemization and filling gaps here and there.

In this thread I'd like to heard about your ideas about items missing in the game, or that you feel need to be updated. I am not asking about new ideas for items, I already have those, what I am looking for is things like: "My rogue used the same bow from level A to level B, it really felt like an upgrade was missing" or "There is no good weapon with X elemental damage for clerics around level Y", or even "The reward for quest Z is underwhelming because of these reasons" or "Item Z is useless because there is this other one you get earlier which is better".

Keep in mind however that even if you may be right about certain items, I might not make all the suggested changes. Itemization in EK does not try to be perfectly smooth and balanced, there's a dosage of deliberate chaos here and there because if you always had level-appropiate encounters and received level-appropiate rewards, there would be zero excitement in the game.

Commiades

I don't know the feasibility of this, but an Armor Completion Bonus would be sweet, so (for example) you wear the Assassin Set you get a bonus (perhaps another dramatic add to Toxic resist) whereas the full Legion set might add a few extra points to armor. In some ways the Set bonus would need to be quite healthy as you'd have to drop the likes of Heroic Helm, Explorer Gauntlets, etc.
A neat idea. Coincidentally, I was thinking along the same lines. Clerics, in particular seem to be in a patchwork of different armour. It's a shame when you finally have a complete set of Tolassian Chain the items you mentioned mean it is never worn.

Duck123

Loreseeker
If an end game endurance cloak is added it could be a drop from the king of korne. He is a really tough enemy that has no unique drops, which is uncommon for an enemy of his difficulty

VDX_360

Staff member
I did a test run with a combat focused 2-H warrior. I was surprized how early I could get Wild Thunder. It seems too strong of a weapon to get in the first few levels. Getting it at Level 5 or Level 6 is pressing it, but pretty doable. Getting it at Level 4 is totally possible.

Maybe Human Resources should have a minimal level requirement? Say, Level 10 (just after Fort Assault?).

It does seem to break the game a bit because it's so strong, so early,

Thoth28

There is a long wait for better rogue armor after getting a lion skin cuirass, which is easy enough to get by level 6. There is no clear upgrade until the Undermother hide or Ark equipment from that time on.

Tolossian chain is situationally better, assassin cuirass is barely an upgrade, and traitor’s chain or primal ice both have downsides that make them unattractive much of the time.

Something with armor 4, 8hp, and some resistances would be a nice addition for the new content.

VDX_360

Staff member
There is a long wait for better rogue armor after getting a lion skin cuirass, which is easy enough to get by level 6.
That's a good point. Rogues suffer in the armor area. Likely deliberately as a way to balance the class but as more content got added, they do have a gap in updgrades.
I might offer something like:

Royal Assassin Leathers: 4 Def, 5 hp, +20 to two resistances (Poison, bolt?) expensive, available in Freetown. Caption: "Elections in Freetown are a messy business."
That would not only fill the armor gap, but give a piece of armor useful to the Ark / Sunken Temple)
Royal Messenger Leathers: 4 Def, 5 hp, +20 to ice, fire. expensive, available in Icemyst.
Captions: "An Icemyst tradition to blame the messenger for unwanted news."
Fills in gap, with some useful elemental protection. Doesn't over shadow end game stuff.

Brunors95

After playing with all classes and tested every possible weapon and armor by playing about 800 hours in this game, there are lots of things to suggest, I was gonna suggest much like what the other players already suggested here in this post before me in the replies above, so I'm not gonna suggest the same things people already suggested here, but I really think archers need a rework not only with the additional high end death and cold elemental bows but also some new skills, for example, archers could get a skill that increases the range, and another one that cuts the flambled arrows effect when enemies get very close to you, I've already finished game with every class and every build-in loadout for 1h and 2h-builds, so afterall, I would say archers lack a robust built-in loadout with decent bows for all situations and it's also the hardest class to play with.

For cold, it's essential to have a top tier cold bow to face the fire elemental enemies in the Sewer of Horrors/Elemental Plane of Fire, it could be given to players in the Sewer of Horrors like Queen's Heart is given to melee rogues in the same place

I would say the new archer proposed skills would require archery mastery skill as a base requirement skill like Battle Rage requires Fury 3 etc

Nopp

The wild mystery quest is animal themed, so why not have a hunter's fang as a reward? Seems fitting...

Darteous

The scroll of restoration is a broken item. It's mana cost of just 10 is way to low. I can sit there and keep bringing back my companion if they get stunned etc and can't heal in time and it makes killing anything easy as long as I have enough gold.

Also it'd be nice if there was a fire wand that people could get that wasn't arcane. Mages don't have the mana to spend using high strength arcane wands/staves when they're first looking to do trolls.

Someone mentioned the Breeches. I picked up 2 of them from the low level rumor bosses. So they seem to drop enough.

@VDX The Bishop ring is sooo better than ring of unlife
Bishop ring
35 death resist -10 extra from the 2 personality points
4 spirit resist
4% xp bonus
10% gossip
1 or 2 mana/lvl depending on if you're mage or cleric
1 armor

vs
unlife
30 death resist
10 spirit resist
1 or halfway towards an extra mana/lvl
2% xp bonus
halfway towards an extra 5% traps and perc
1hp/lvl +5hp
+5 toxic

and being as trait points don't overlap it's likely to make it less worth choosing over other items.

Last edited:

Nopp

@Darteous
Scroll of restoration isn't very overpowered since mostly only mages and clerics can use it(good for you). Don't forget the enemy switches target to you since you have more dps most of the time.

You can always just let your companion last hit the trolls, use a fireball or use the Imperial battlemage wand dropped by the mausoleum lich since it's only aracane 1.

The choice between bishop ring and unlife ring is up to the player.

If you want health go for unlife, if not, get bishop's ring.
A difference of 5 death resist wont matter much, neither does the spirit resist.

Sorry if this isn't mr. VDX. :/ (Pls dont get mad at me)

BOSTACH

I kinda wish grissenda could learn magical training she would be a clear choice for me but oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mages have all the mana in the world unless you u rely Heavily on your elemental skills, which in that case it's fair to feel that way

You can't compare these 2 rings like that, there are people who focuses more on strength and endurance and a +2 to personality would help them through some quests so it depends on your play style but as someone who focuses on int awe and per no matter the class i always choose
the skill point over the ring, despite the high chance of messing a dialog and getting killed when playing on Ironman ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Status
Not open for further replies.