It was difficult, but I finished completing Hirge's quest at level 1

Lavid

unknown.png

Lavid

So I can get hirge at level 1? Impressive that you pass the trap one.
It was a series of trial and error, first I had to mark the location of the traps, then use my evasion ability to get past the skeletons and get the quest item, and then I had to run all the way back, passing where I didn't there were traps. Then, when I left the dungeon, I had to lure the two skeletons to the corner of the stairs, re-enter the dungeon, exit through the top of the next skeleton, and after that it was a big run to get to the Hirge.

VDX_360

Staff member
This would be a great example of run-and-run-and-run that might be more time consuming than actual progressing the game, but you know... priorities. Sometimes you just want Hirge at Level 1.

I did a test of how feasible this run was. I used Casual mode for a baseline.

1) Getting through the tutorial with minimal XP. -> Very doable. My first effort was 7 XP (Adaon killed someone). Just run through it till you are forced to camp.
2) Getting to the desert / triggering quest: Easy, just run.
3) Getting the amulet---luck more than skill. See note.

With a build of 2 AWA, spotting the gas lever is easy.
Going slow (or abusing the in-dungeon quick save) makes getting down the hallway doable. It might be recommended to deliberately step on the traps and use recovery to stay alive. You don't want to worry about traps later.
The skeleton room at the end of the hallway poses the first challenge

You need to get past the 3 skeletons, enter the room with the amulet, get the amulet and get out. And there are 3 more skeletons guarding the amulet (One level 10, the rest Level 3).

Here's where RNG comes really into play (and RNG was pretty impactful on trap locations).
If a skeleton inside the amulet room spawns right near the door, you're doomed to fail. It will block you when you try to enter, and you're quickly killed.
If a skeleton's pathfinding to you blocks your escape from the room, you're toast.

So the goal is to get six skeletons to chase you in a manner that doesn't let them kill you or block your path.

Getting the amulet and out of the room: 40 tries. 25 which were basically impossible (skeleton by door), ~10 or so that might be possible with very really good RNG of Evasion, and about 5 that could be possible with skillful efforts by the player. Not much room for error or a misstep.

There are TWO basic outcomes once leaving the room with the amulet. Either 1) you get very lucky and the skeletons get stuck in the room (too crowded by the door, they took an odd route finding path to corner of the room), or 2) they chase you. Worst case chase is the Level 10 skeleton knight being just a step behind you. If he hits, it's flanking damage.

So you still have to hope there's no trap in your way, and that you don't misalign with a door.

Than, you have to leave the dungeon. Since it's highly unlikely you did this on your first effort, the enemies by the dungeon entrance will ambush you. If you retreat into the dungeon, the chasing skeletons finishing you off.

Fleeing from the dungeon to Hirge is a little tricker as you start off surrounded.

But hey, if you rush, you can have Hirge in your party by dinner time on the first day.

Arcanmaster

@Varsil I did it with level 2 light off hand warrior on story mode. I charged traps, killed all common skeletons and locked skeleton champion in another room with mercenary. The hardest part was keeping mercenary with full health (he always died after 3 hits). You need to detect or destoy traps and run from (or do something with) 10lv skeleton to do this quest early.

VDX_360

Staff member
The same concept applies to Hard mode. You just can't quick inside the dungeon so it adds a little more time to each try.

Also, since the Skeletons are Level 3 and Level 10. You could Reach Level 3 without increasing the level of the skeletons. That would allow for a the time to acquire a few pieces of armor and potions that would make the trip a lot easier.

Also, just to be nerdy. You get 1,100 xp for returning the amulet, which takes you to Level 3. Hirge won't join your party till you meet her again in New Garand. Sooo.... The lowest level you can be with her in your party is Level 3, not level 1. You can complete her quest at Level 1, though.

Hirge joins at Level 6 at that point in the game.

Lavid

I started as Rogue, hard difficulty, coincidentally I found it possible at level 1, I already knew it was possible at level 2, and had already passed once at level 2, so I decided to play rogue with the default build which was the only one class that hadn't finished the game yet.

My initial intention was: upon entering the dungeon, make a suicidal path to mark the location of the traps, usually done most effectively by walking towards the left wall and when a trap appears, switch to the right side, as was a rogue with a build of two points in detection, one in resistance and evasion, one trap is enough to kill, as it only had 40 health and no armor.

After arriving at the door to face the 3 skeletons, I used evasion, the most efficient way I found was to enter the door, run to the left side, activate evasion and then run straight to the door, entering the room, the best way I found was: walk to the left and then vertically to the right (since it seems that the character's speed is higher vertically), after passing the giant skeleton, get the medallion and open the tomb to get my parchment of teleportation.

I decided to run by the skeletons and with great luck, I was surprised, that I managed to run from them, and I would have done it right there, if I didn't die in a trap on the way back, as I found out it was possible, I tried more approximately 10 – 15 times, and I managed to escape with 6 hp from the skeletons, there was only the last 3 skeletons and run to freedom, as I was with 6 hp, it only took a single move forward that it was instant death, so I decided to run back, leaving the first two skeletons on the right side of the entrance to the dungeon, then just enter and exit the dungeon and pass the last skeleton and run to freedom.

Yes, I know it's not worth the time and that going back to level 3 or 2 with a teleport scroll and some equipment would be much more efficient, I spent approximately 30 min to finish this RNG course, the good part and it pays off a lot, given that Hirge helps a lot, especially in the beginning of the game against the undead.

MON NOTE: Deleted unnecessary full quote and reference to game exploit.