Is Exiled Kingdoms Undervalued?

VDX_360

Staff member
First, be mindful of the forum rules that prohibits discussing Exiled Kingdoms' pricing / begging for discounts.

Given the ongoing COVID-19 challenge, I've had way too much time indoors. That's resulted in a -cough- few -cough- game purchases, including a few in the $40 to $60 (US dollar) range. Despite the vast difference in pricing, I've enjoyed them less than Exiled Kingdoms. Which leads me to ponder a few points. Namely, is this a reflection of the my tastes in RPG's, or that there are some seriously overpriced games out there?

I've raised this point, a few times over the years, and I think it remains true. I think I prefer a well made, older style RPG than a flashy, modern game. I seem to find too many games a matter of just pressing a button and falling asleep to beat. But, that's enough of my midnight rant.

Price doesn't parallel enjoyment, I guess.

Thoughts?

And again, be mindful about this topic getting too deep in the muck of price bickering.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Price doesn't parallel enjoyment, I guess.
Exactly. In a way, this is very basic of whole science behind marketing.

You don't pay for what you get, i.e. price isn't reflection of value. There's many examples, gold for one. You buy lump of gold and what? You have paperweight you overpaid. Could you eat gold (well, I know that technically you can)? Could it keep you warm... etc.

Also, on other point, EK also strikes something in me that I like very much. So I value that more than something I don't like at all. :D

In the end, we can argue that for some of us, EK is worth much more than "only money" we paid for it. And I tried not to rant too much and not go too philosophical about many economy points I don't like in general in todays society (also against forum rules, because it sooner or later touches on politics).

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I would love David to let us pay $5 for a high-loadout version of the game: weapons, armor, skill and stat books and other goodies in the various chests (Tower, Houses, Townhall) just so we could have a bit of variety and crazy fun in this game should we want.

It'd give David some income and would be fun for us.

JediNxf7

I would love David to let us pay $5 for a high-loadout version of the game: weapons, armor, skill and stat books and other goodies in the various chests (Tower, Houses, Townhall) just so we could have a bit of variety and crazy fun in this game should we want.

It'd give David some income and would be fun for us.
I simultaneously agree with this and find myself amused at gamers actually *requesting* a P2W experience

but it's different when it's single player!

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Pay to win is an abomination when it's, as you say, online, or when the essential, or just fun, mechanics are hidden behind a paywall.

Some games are fun to mod, be it make them easier or make them more difficult. IMO this would just be more streamlined. I mean, who cares if Adaon, or your Rogue, can be both a Bowman AND a Melee fighter? Who cares if your fighter can get Toecutter without 7th House membership? Especially having beaten the game anywhere from half a dozen to several dozen times.

This COULD be done with a save game editor and if I could get the PC version of the game without Steam I'd do it and never speak of it here. But I dn't and I can't.

JediNxf7

agreed on all points. maybe an option would be to only make these features available for new games after completing the main story arc with at least one class. could even be class specific - winning with rogue gives you access to rogue on PEDs, winning with warrior gives you access to Roid Warrior, etc.

truth is I think it would get old pretty quickly, though. like I'd enjoy it a lot at first, but probably not for that long. the game is well balanced; if I can beat the void lord on level 5 then all the low level quests seem like pointless chores. that's usually my experience with game breaking cheats for OP characters in other games.

of course if you combined OP characters with OP enemies it would just mean a new and different balance. I used to play a heavily modded Star Wars KOTOR with ridiculous OP gear and unreasonably strong character attributes and skills/abilities, but with a "realistic combat" mod that made being hit by lasers usually an insta-death. becomes a totally different game, wouldn't say it's better, but a fun challenge once you can beat the original easily on hard.

(I didn't grow up with classic rpgs so the KOTOR port to android is actually the game that led me to scour the internet for more mobile games in the genre and find EK. and as usual once I finish all the content I feel like I need more, which is both a compliment to the creator and an unfair expectation after easily 100+ hours worth of content)

DARKMASTER

Yes EK is under valued. It is an old school RPG. Lots of side quests and a large open world. None of the new school nickel and dime BS and no popups every 5 minutes. Ok maybe not state of the art graphics but hours and hours of old school RPG gameplay I've heard it compared to old school Diablo or Baulders Gate.

Invector

I'll toss in my two cents and say that EK is WAY undervalued. I've spent more hours playing it than any other game I can remember and at a price point that's ridiculously low IMO. I'd happily pay a $50 or more for additional content, but it appears David isn't in this for the money. I have to admire him for that.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I always wanted the game to be a good deal for players, even young ones. But it's not all due to my good will towards the community, I have a feeling if the game was priced around 8-10 bucks it would have sold worse.