Is a stipend in order here?

deltoru

So, taking over the docks on New Garand by intimidating poor Barfat and crew, shouldn't that result in a small regular stipend to collect? I don't mean any significant amount of goods or gold, but it feels like that's where that whole hostile takeover scene should have ended, for character storyline purposes. Maybe something small like 20 gold/month.. anyway, just a thought, and I would love to hear arguments for and against!

ZeroesHero

To be honest, I thought they were guild members. But I found them before I found Seventh House and just thought about it later.
If they weren't members, then any profit would be for the guild. That's usually how these things end up. Seventh House would benefit. They could maybe offer different merchandise every now and then. Cycle through the different potions at random. Maybe some random crafting items when that gets going. Have it at a slight discount for the player in recognition of your deeds to get the docks.

deltoru

ZeroesHero":2ntzg1qq said:
To be honest, I thought they were guild members. But I found them before I found Seventh House and just thought about it later.
If they weren't members, then any profit would be for the guild. That's usually how these things end up. Seventh House would benefit. They could maybe offer different merchandise every now and then. Cycle through the different potions at random. Maybe some random crafting items when that gets going. Have it at a slight discount for the player in recognition of your deeds to get the docks.

Hmm, now that you put it that way, yeah, Anything coming off the docks would go to seventh house, and not necessarily the dock boss (me). Maybe that could be reflected somehow in dialogue with Barfat in the future.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I always intended it to provide a weekly stipend, but the current game engine doesn't support such timed events. Maybe I'll figure a sloppy way to make it work.

ZeroesHero

DavidBVal":1e1tbeqa said:
I always intended it to provide a weekly stipend, but the current game engine doesn't support such timed events. Maybe I'll figure a sloppy way to make it work.

Maybe you could make it some kind of recurring quest. Go see someone inside the guild, or standing on the dock, and collect your money. Upon completion, it starts again with a countdown similar to rumor boss timer. When the timer is up you can collect again. Repeat.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
ZeroesHero":31zc5qur said:
DavidBVal":31zc5qur said:

Maybe you could make it some kind of recurring quest. Go see someone inside the guild, or standing on the dock, and collect your money. Upon completion, it starts again with a countdown similar to rumor boss timer. When the timer is up you can collect again. Repeat.

Yeah there's many approaches to it, I could code it, but the way I designed world variables, they can't be properly timed, so it would require a system "external" to the game variables like the one I made for town hall quests or rumor bosses. The effort to code a timed system was worth it for the bosses and TH quests, but not so much for this small encounter, so for now it'll stay the way it is. It's already in the list of things to look into after version 1.0. (which has hundreds of items...)

Hisoka Approves

Loreseeker
Speaking of that, I hope that the goons will respawn. I remember running away from them, I didn't realise they are anything different to regular highwaymen.