Insufficient bag slots

tal

im lvl 17 cleric so while traveling and killing mobs and doing dungeons i don't need to go back to heal or restore my hp at towns.
only thing that hold my fun traveling and playing is the low space on my back pack
the backpack hold 20 slots for both me and my companion
but on the first 4 slots i usually have hp&mana pots and scroll of recall and detection
tha's leave 16 slots for loot or if u want some extra scrolls of summoning or pots vs something. alos i sometimes store +1 weapon or gear vs other kind of damage.
so it's annoying that after 1/3 of the dungeons(like the new on on deadwood) i need to start sorting my bags and thinking what to throw or keep.

i have few suggestion to how we can help with it.
1) companion should have their own backpack
2) the quick slot should be a belt slot separate from the backpack so u have extra 5 slots.
3) buy another bag slot like the vault slots
4) add second weapon set chois on character like rpg\hack and slash games so for instance i can have a 2 hand weapon on set I and hammer and shield on set II
5) put average price on items so it will be easier to know what to keep and what to throw.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
My intention is to add portable containers for small items like gems, herbs and scrolls exclusively. But like I stated already, not in this update.

Macatron

Glad to see this is something that will eventually be addressed in a future update. To be honest, though, I'd just be happy to see companions having their own backpack. I think that's a very fair addition to an already awesome game. :)

0rion79

Agreed on everything :) Transporting items is really an issue, and the prices to the vault are really too high.

Vaaclav

Translator
tal":1bsh4mvq said:
im lvl 17 cleric so while traveling and killing mobs and doing dungeons i don't need to go back to heal or restore my hp at towns.
only thing that hold my fun traveling and playing is the low space on my back pack
but on the first 4 slots i usually have hp&mana pots and scroll of recall and detection
tha's leave 16 slots for loot or if u want some extra scrolls of summoning or pots vs something. alos i sometimes store +1 weapon or gear vs other kind of damage.
so it's annoying that after 1/3 of the dungeons(like the new on on deadwood) i need to start sorting my bags and thinking what to throw or keep.
As I played Diablo II (even with LoD extension) some time ago, I know problem of small backpack storage, where it could become full very fast, mostly in case of using of Charms.

But here, if you go to Mausoleum (at first of all) or Maze of Lamth (or else dungeon) only for loot (or XP, but here is result very disputable, even if you use wisdom scroll), you simply don't need to take all items. Because taking all is way to hell. Instead it, take only items with sell price above 200 (if you are on higher level, in the beginning you have to take all to earn some money). It is sufficient.

I am not sure, but I did not see this in any else game.

2) the quick slot should be a belt slot separate from the backpack so u have extra 5 slots.
In a similar way, it is in DII - where belt have some own space for potions (siple belt has one line, better two lines ... up to four lines; in total 16). And still, you can have some other potions in backpack for their placing to belt (for faster using).

I don't agree with this. But there is a way in finding any magic item that would behave like TARDIS (like Horadric cube in DII) - one space took in backpack, but some bonus spaces inside.

4) add second weapon set chois on character like rpg\hack and slash games so for instance i can have a 2 hand weapon on set I and hammer and shield on set II
This is only in DII, from games I played. And it is needed to switch it manually, of course (that can be easily done on PC, with hardware keyboard but not on smartphone or tablet).

5) put average price on items so it will be easier to know what to keep and what to throw.
I don't agree with this. I did not see something like that in any game I played.

Don Desini

Loreseeker
Vaaclav":2zkd6f93 said:
tal":2zkd6f93 said:
As I played Diablo II (even with LoD extension) some time ago, I know problem of small backpack storage, where it could become full very fast, mostly in case of using of Charms.

But here, if you go to Mausoleum (at first of all) or Maze of Lamth (or else dungeon) only for loot (or XP, but here is result very disputable, even if you use wisdom scroll), you simply don't need to take all items. Because taking all is way to hell. Instead it, take only items with sell price above 200 (if you are on higher level, in the beginning you have to take all to earn some money). It is sufficient.

I am not sure, but I did not see this in any else game.

In a similar way, it is in DII - where belt have some own space for potions (siple belt has one line, better two lines ... up to four lines; in total 16). And still, you can have some other potions in backpack for their placing to belt (for faster using).

I don't agree with this. But there is a way in finding any magic item that would behave like TARDIS (like Horadric cube in DII) - one space took in backpack, but some bonus spaces inside.

This is only in DII, from games I played. And it is needed to switch it manually, of course (that can be easily done on PC, with hardware keyboard but not on smartphone or tablet).

I don't agree with this. I did not see something like that in any game I played.

Just be glad your pack isn't restricted by weight like some games I've played in the past. It's nice being able to fit 9 steel great axes along with other stuff in one pack.

I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was "Darkstone" (also available in a mobile port now). Great game,but your character could only carry a certain amount of weight. Your load out affected this too. Whatever carrying capacity was,minus what your equipment weighed,is what your pack would hold. A rise in strength would raise capacity, but only by so much per level. (There were no tomes with attribute buffs like we have in EK)Could be very frustrating and limiting at times. There were no chests for you to store things you found in, no houses to store things in. Just that little weight restricted pack.

We have tons of storage with four vaults, and three chests between two different homes. Also,it's worth pointing out that if you drop an item,you can return and collect it. It doesn't just vanish as soon as you leave the screen. So you can just make two trips if necessary.

You could theoretically keep a second load out in your quick slots to equip on the fly. I keep a fire imbued weapon for both my companion and myself in case of trolls. Still doesn't solve a storage issue though. The skills system makes it impractical to try and switch between 2h and 1h combat. I would suggest mixing pieces of different armors to gain the best resistances for the quest at hand and maybe take an extra weapon in quickslot. Full set of one kind of armour may give higher AC,but it does not necessarily represent the best.

Companions are just that,comrades in arms. Not beasts of burden. Shouldn't it be enough that they are willing to lay down their life for you? What more can an adventurer really ask?

At lvl 17 I would think you have been playing long enough to have an idea of what items are worth in game.

Vaaclav

Translator
Dear Don Desini,

I beg your pardon, but I feel that it is needed to write it. I am not sure for whom is your answer, if for me or for tal.

It really was not needed to quote all my post, only its few parts on which you answered - if you wanted to write your opinion on only few parts, as I feel.

If you wanted to answer on all my post, no quoting was needed. So, now your post is a very chaotic.

:arrow:

But back to topic,

in off-line (and probably abandoned) version of Forgotten tales (for download on Google Play) is done that companions extend backpack space, but they have not own backpack. I forgot it when I wrote my previous post.

To Darkstone, I am not sure how much there is effect of character's strength on amount of items in backpack - but in DII character says I am overburden, if backpack is full (or if next item is so great that it cannot be placed into backpack); but strength has not effect on amount of items in backpack (only on items you can use).

In both, Darkstone and DII items take also more than one space. So, it is reason why there backpack may be full very fast. But in DII you can return to battle field very fast through portal (if you left battle field by portal), not in EK - where it may take some time in some cases, like Ascatir mines, Icemarrow cave (or how it is currently called), Mausoleum or Irazur tomb.

Currently I try to keep backpack empty as much as is possible. And in case of Maze of Lamth, I usually don't need to return to dungeon for something. In case of Mausoleum it is worse, but with selection of loot (to keep only items witl sell value above 200), it is much better.

And effect of strength on using of items would be quite good, if implemented. Currently, traits have effect only on some skills.

Don Desini

Loreseeker
Dear Vaaclav, My post was meant for all. Sorry for the confusion.
To clarify:
1. I like your idea about companions increasing inventory, but in my mind it is not feasible or necessary.

2. I like your idea about the belt slots,but I don't feel as if it is feasible or totally necessary either.

A. Here is why. You are asking for more storage slots, when there are a total of 140 storage slots in addition to your 20 slots in backpack. 160 total available in game. It hardly seems useful for another 5-25 slots to use resources (Sprites,ram,etc.)that could be better utilized in game for something other than hoarding.
As I'm sure many "collectors" have come to terms with,you just cannot keep every item. So you are always faced with a choice,be it at the merchant,at the chest,or on the battlefield.

3. Instead of buying additional bag slots perhaps a larger or "magical" bag as a quest reward or something could be proposed in the new items ideas forum.

4.This also would be nice,but another non necessity. As with anything else,you just have to pack properly for the journey. Whatever space is sacrificed is just that. Sacrificed for the completion of the quest.

5.This is not feasible because you need a mix of different value items to keep balance. If you could loot a dungeon with only top shelf gear in it,you wouldn't explore much. Would you?

In short I feel like the game's storage system is more than ample. A weapon or armor in a chest or vault is of no use in the field. If not having more than 160 in game inventory slots is taking away from your "fun factor" it is more likely an issue with the player and not the game itself.

I myself have gone through and sold items (quest and normal) to clear out space. I once sold 18 devourer stings at once to free up a chest. I am not unsympathetic, I just don't agree.

I suppose for me the joy comes more from completing the quest and advancing the story a little more than the actual reward itself. It's an adventure, not a capital venture. This is merely my perspective on things.

Macatron

Don Desini":33ifp1nq said:
It's an adventure, not a capital venture. This is merely my perspective on things.

You know, as much as I'd like to see a few little changes to the inventory (i.e. quick items having their own storage), I totally agree with you about this being an adventure. I can't really remember the last RPG that actually made me feel like my decisions actually mattered, and I also looked forward to discovering more and more about the story. Most games, these days, just tend to be all about getting the best gear to beat the next toughest opponent. Granted, EK does have these moments, but they're just not front and center; the story is. :)

tal

hey
Vaaclav you mention u didnt see most of the stuff i suggested on other games.
and you mainly references to diablo 2.
but few thing to take in consider:
on diablo 2 u can use portal from anywhere to a town and back to the middle of what u where doing. here u cant do it and if u do use the portal u have to run back and all the mobs resets.
im 33 so i played lots of games in this genre(titan quest,torchlight and so on)
and on most of them you do have the stuff i mentioned.
also i didn't say that they need to add all of that, just to make in consideration the small bag problem
and im ok with what david said about what he intend.

Vaaclav

Translator
Don Desini":267cqcdv said:
Dear Vaaclav, My post was meant for all. Sorry for the confusion.
To clarify:
1. I like your idea about companions increasing inventory, but in my mind it is not feasible or necessary.
Tal asks for more slots in backpack, me not. See opening post of this topic.

tal":267cqcdv said:

About this
I wrote what I saw in Forgotten tales.

2. I like your idea about the belt slots,but I don't feel as if it is feasible or totally necessary either.
I only wrote what I understood from tal's post
and added what I saw in DII.

3. Instead of buying additional bag slots perhaps a larger or "magical" bag as a quest reward or something could be proposed in the new items ideas forum.
Tal asks for buying addiotional slots.

Don Desini":267cqcdv said:
4.This also would be nice,but another non necessity. As with anything else,you just have to pack properly for the journey. Whatever space is sacrificed is just that. Sacrificed for the completion of the quest.
As I wrote, I used it (in DII) very rarely - and in game for tablets and smartphones I don't see how to do that - because one more icon on screen would be needed.

Thanks for information about other games. I don't know them. May it be I saw them in any shop, but I don't spend much time by playing.