I'm just going to go ahead and say it.....

VDX_360

Staff member
Yes, Companion AI is curious. But, it used to be a lot worse! Over the course of development, the Developer made a few tweaks to address some of the worst behaviors (standing on a damage tile, for example). Yet, as any player can testify, Companions do the darndest things.

Some things you can do to make Companion AI a little more predictable.
Give your Companion Passive Skills only. That will help mitigate silly use of Active Skills.
Set your Companion to attack only near enemies. It's not a prefect system, but that limited range helps avoid them running off into the far distance, or just standing by.

I've long advocated for a quick button to toggle basic Companion commands.

A long time ago, it was possible to push Companions into traps to set them off. It was the quickest, and easiest way to clear out traps. It was also a great way to get revenge on an idiotic Companion.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
..... all three of my companions are effing idiots. :mad:

To be fair, Adaon, Hirge and Grissenda are peculiar beings... They've been referred to as "AI", which obviously stands for "Absurd Individuals".

For some unknown reason, they appear to be immortal, which clearly has altered their cognitive faculties. Legend says they were born of a human father and a troll mother, explaining their impressive regenerative powers and their face-palm-inducing stupidity. Some even claim they met the fabled Swamp Donkey, and were blessed by its divine donkeyness, granting them eternal life while making each one of them act like a total ass.

One should never claim to comprehend such superior beings. Companions act in mysterious ways.

Trace Da Cruz

some of the worst behaviors (standing on a damage tile, for example).
Speaking of that I was precisely wondering why Griss suddenly stops following to just stand on fire, I'm like GRISSENDA!! GET OUT OF THERE!!! maybe she's just questioning her immortality...

The Magister seems to like kidnapping people, if @Apocalypse is not drinking the wine probably that's proof...

VDX_360

Staff member
Or Gris just standing by while you get killed BECAUSE THE MONSTER IS ONE PIXEL TOO FAR AWAY FOR HER TO REACT.

Learn the AI, factor in the AI in combat decisions, and then seek therapy when it all goes to heck.....

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Yes, @Apocalypse is a welcome member of the community. Pretty sure he's an imposter -- likely an advance scout from the Orc Kingdom, or some rogue from Freetown. I'm not saying I have proof, but have you seen Apocalypse and the Magister in the same place at the same time?

The Magister? Me??? Preposterous!
Of course I am not the Magister. He's my boyfriend! He said he loves me very much. And no, he didn't tell me that only so I'd spy on the forum for him... He'd never do that. He's super honest and never lies! He told me himself!!!

VDX_360

Staff member
"You are putting too much faith in old texts..." You know, the one the Magister sent you last night ... today is a new day, and a new oath to break.

JediNxf7

Speaking of that I was precisely wondering why Griss suddenly stops following to just stand on fire, I'm like GRISSENDA!! GET OUT OF THERE!!! maybe she's just questioning her immortality...

The Magister seems to like kidnapping people, if @Apocalypse is not drinking the wine probably that's proof...
maybe you should have just asked Griss what she was doing, and she would have explained that she is immortal, and wants to resurrect at 50% health so he can get her Fury damage bonus. I mean, that's why I kill her.