Ideas for futiure developement

Molokot

This is exactly a type of game i like to play. There is perfect level of graphics = not too much and not too little, there are quests to do and monsters to kill and game mechanics have also perfect level of complication. Just as usual in this game types, theres no content :( buu . It is skeleton , you made game mechanics, lore and main quest and thats , like 80% of work allready, just need to fill it.
Seriously nobody wants just to save a world and game over.
I suggest changing ark to be just another milestone not end game, and after that you should be able to choose 1 of 4 kingdoms and get quest to become its ruler.And after that gate quest for world domination.
Like i.e after doing stuff you are king of Versalia then you need to convince mages to help prists to help , kick orc kingdom ass and confront Mercia in battle and you rule the world.
Or become king of mercia "Player name the Romantic" (because 1 of needed things is to establish brothels to get support of hand) then convince mages to stay out of this, make friends with orcs , Kick priests ass and confront Versalia in battle to rule the world.
Need to make Strong witches faction in elder forest , and orc kingdom for all of that.
If you would be interested i can elaborate.
And except of that rather big story line update , you can simply add small side quests , like 3 per city so they wouldnt be so desolate.
Then this game will have a chance to become a legend like fallout 2 or baldurs gate.
Cheers.

YoloEarnings

Chrono trigger was turn based combat and great visuals considering hardware limitations probably the best game of all time for its genre. I don't understand why you think an artist would want to keep doing the same thing over and over. Musicians often hate singing their most popular song every show but still do it for the money. Maybe as others suggested you can get rich one day manage a team of developers and artists and make your own game? This game was completed years ago the extra content we get is just icing on the cake.

If you follow your path you'll end up with something like WoW which was really enjoyable until they expanded the end game to the point where it's not as fun and even hard to recognize compared to vanilla(what's the level cap even). Imagine expanding Diablo I what would be the point there's a greater Diablo? Runescape is a great example of what you're requesting they kept expanding the game at the sacrifice of its original charm.

For me all that's needed to make this game even better is finish the map, open up the castles, maybe add some more context to the golden hand/tolassians/the weird fish lady I had a baby with (do I owe child support?) Is her kingdom nice?/the gods(maybe even fight one), flesh out some lore and add the swamp donkey mount. A mage companion would be cool as well now that they can be melee. Hopefully some level 25 content. Even I know that's asking too much.

Tldr this isn't our world to modify nor should we.

Xen

Loreseeker
@Molokot you'll never know how hard and time consuming it is to develop a game and release new updates until you experience being a programmer, not to mention graphic artist. Trust me, it's hard doing all the work alone and expect for a good quality. It's easier to be the one playing the game than the one to code, you'll get irritated every time you debug and sometimes it's stressful and not even enjoyable to see block of letters, numbers and different symbols. If someone can't stand to finish reading even a single chapter of a book while also comprehending its content, how much more for a line of codes that doesn't have meaning in a normal human language? Remember we're talking about machine language here and it's not even 4GL like Ruby.
Post automatically merged:    

I haven't mentioned about graphics' design and models because that's another part of the long process to make a game. Imagine if only one person do all these work and then you have the guts to say things like it's hell of a waiting game, it seems like you demand someone to meet deadlines in the most unrealistic way without even paying millions for incentives and investment

Last edited:
Molokot

Our character already has a predefined lore between the events of Exiled Kingdoms and Archaelund (the new game that david is developing) and at no time is there any talk of an adventurer who single-handedly conquered one of the kingdoms to rule.
This feature you are proposing is very out of context, the idea of conquering a kingdom for us is not only anti-heroic but goes against the game's proposal, where we are explorers.

Molokot

Yoloearnings : well one of my favorite games is fallout 1 and 2 nd i played it over 20 times ,same as many other guys ,and all that we wanted was more of it, not something diffrent. And what happened? fallout 3 , cant force myself to play it. But i would gladly pay money for just fallout 2 with 4x bigger map 4 x more quests and so on. Another game caravaneer , it was perfect just needed ,guess what? , more places to go and more quests, but wahat happened ? After 10 years they made caravaneer 2 that i cant force myself to play. Morrowwind is in cthegory of its own and people still try to mod it to what evrybody wants after 20 years, and what is that? Bigger world and more quests. I played Oblivion out of love for elder scrolls , but tbh its quite crappy and Skyrim kept me occupied for like 15 min because i couldnt force myself to play it.

Xen: i can imagine that it is dificult ,despite my skills end in some simple mods in C

Pararelcepido: Archelund lore is irrelevant , And i am not explorer i am ruthless mercenary :D
What i like about this game is not very infantile lore and great sense of humour (righteous pants, axes thtat terrorize trees) theres absolutely no reason to not adjust it for some more sophisticated than just boring "save the world" stereotype.

DarthTomServo

Van Clayzer

Well, I kind of agree with the guy who made the topic, little by little I'll add more stories, but also with the fact that I'm better polishing the game, as an example the character's clothing designs

An example would be the warrior's plate armor, in the game there is only one color of it, but you added 2 enemies that have the same mold as this armor, but in blue and red colors, why not do this on some armor? like the blessed of the cleric another beautiful example is the wizard's clothes, can you change the color of the robe, but not the hood or boot? since in the sewer of horrors there are mages wearing blue and red clothes, why not put that in the main design too? It's just a matter of painting the clothes, that's all, little details that will make the game much more beautiful

David you have a huge community, why not create a post looking for people to volunteer to help you? in these little things, or even in programming, you will surely find someone. Anyway this is my opinion because I'm in love with this game and I'm very hopeful with its evolution

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Yoloearnings : well one of my favorite games is fallout 1 and 2 nd i played it over 20 times ,same as many other guys ,and all that we wanted was more of it, not something diffrent. And what happened? fallout 3 , cant force myself to play it. But i would gladly pay money for just fallout 2 with 4x bigger map 4 x more quests and so on.

Bear in mind Fallout was not original but a "spiritual-successor" to Wasteland, so you can play the original Wasteland which is a 1988 game but was Remastered to modern graphics in 2020, plus the sequels Wasteland 2: Director's Cut released in 2015, and Wasteland 3 released 2020. All of thsoe are in the standard Fallout 1 & 2 Isometric format.

And if you can stomach 3D, I also strongly, strongly recommend Fallout: New Vegas – Ultimate Edition.

DarthTomServo

David you have a huge community, why not create a post looking for people to volunteer to help you? in these little things, or even in programming, you will surely find someone. Anyway this is my opinion because I'm in love with this game and I'm very hopeful with its evolution
I obviously can't speak for someone else, but I can say that this is a serious decision not to be taken lightly. It's no small task by any stretch of the imagination.

Basically taking a personal, passion project that you've released on the market and opening it up to a team of volunteers to expand - is in itself a very stressful thing to consider. Especially while he's up to his neck focusing on the next game.

He'd basically be trying to work on the next game, and managing a bunch of strangers with their own ideas to take over said passion project that's already complete.

When Minecraft came out, it made sense when Notch brought Jeb on board. The game was still in beta and Notch was not working on another game at the time. In this case, EK is already fully released and the developer is really trying to bang out the next project. Imagine the interruption to the daily rhythm to basically add a human resources block to his daily / weekly schedule. Even unpaid volunteers require a lot of time, structure and communication. Disagreements, explaining this and that, onboarding documentation. The source code isn't public and there's likely to be legal steps & NDAs to draft up so volunteers will be held liable for sharing source code.

That's a huge deal and can be disastrous. Very high risk considering he probably doesn't even have time to give managing people the amount of attention that requires. One person can only deal with so much.

Personally, if EK is any indication, the developer's next game is going to be amazing. As a customer, I'd rather he keep his stress down and focus on enjoying his current project.

Once his next game is out, I could imagine a scenario where a developer would consider select individuals, who had the right combination of personality & competence, contribute to development. Understandably, that's not something every developer is comfortable doing though.

Therefore, I would not get my hopes up, nor hold it against him at all.

I would encourage anyone here to start writing down their inspiration and ideas for a game and consider learning how to develop. I've already started this myself and it's really exciting to empower yourself to call your own shots. Just notes for now while I'm finishing college, but I've got enough to begin actual planning.

Last edited:

@DarthTomServo

Better a postponed game than a poorly finished game, and it's even better if the development team is in good mental and emotional health.
Are you really developing your own game? What will he be called?

DarthTomServo

Are you really developing your own game? What will he be called?
Oh heavens. This is going to sound really lame, but I'm not comfortable talking about any aspect about it other than being an RPG.

At the tail end of my bachelors this summer, as well as some big training at work in August. Just structuring notes here and there so I can hit the deck running when those two other things are finally done. I can't even say the word "develop" with a straight face at this point.