Guide How much is 1 Armor point worth ???

User guide, walktrough, instructions how to do something...

sarunea

Hi There,
I hesitate between
varaol's boots : armor +2, cold and elec +6
OR
platemail boots : aromor +3, +5 health.

So I was wondering how much of difference does 1 point of armor compare to magic protection. For me the circumstantial protection of the magic protection is a down compare to 1 pt of armor, but magic can be important too. Am I overestimating the importance of 1 pt of armor? (currently I have 15...

Neponde

I would take the platemail, but keep varaols boots in storage for when I need cold or lightning resist. Platemail will be more useful for general use

sarunea

Thank you very much and i've just notice that "detail" character sheet section tells me everything about the damage reduction 🤦🏻‍♂️

VDX_360

Staff member
Varaol's Boots are a nifty pair of boots, esp you get them early. They're are a cost effective back-up pair if you can't afford the other boots yet either. Free is such a good price.

In contrast, the extra point of defense from Platemail Boots will make more of a difference on an average dungeon run.

Damage reduction from Armor is calculated using a random value between 20% and 100% of your armor value if you're not using a shield, and 40% to 100% if you are using a shield.

That means, on average, each point of armor reduces damage taken by 0.6 and 0.7 for non-shield users and shield users. It adds up pretty quickly, esp for melee fighters such as clerics and warriors.

Elemental Resistances use a more complicated equation, but in the early to mid-game, you're likely using values less than 50%, so we can use the 1 resistance = 1 % reduction in damage.

So for Varaol's Boots, the +6 Ice, +6 Shock, would reduce damage by 6% for each elemental type (less if are already over 50%). Rounding plays a role. That means at about 15 points of incommong elemental damage, that 6% will reduce it by 1 point, or 3 points for 50 points incomming damage.

So if you were being attack equally with physical and elemental damage, the boots would likely nudge ahead. The problem is that just aren't that many areas where elemental damage is a real factor in the early game. (Nilorth Cave, Frozen Depths, Imperial Fortress, Abandoned Tower
?) depending on quest order.) And even in those areas, physical damage is still important. Some minor elemental damage is done here and there, but not really enough to make a noticeable difference from a player's point of view.

Some players hoard Varaol' Boots just to swap to later for a single fight but I'm not sure the slight benefit is worth the inventory space and headache of trying to remember to do it. But hoarders gonna hoard.

By the mid-game, esp late-mid-game, you'll have much better equipment, including elemental protection. So it's not a lasting choice.

Potions of Resistance and healing potions can help smooth out the difference, too.

NTiK

Varaol's Boots are a nifty pair of boots, esp you get them early. They're are a cost effective back-up pair if you can't afford the other boots yet either. Free is such a good price.

In contrast, the extra point of defense from Platemail Boots will make more of a difference on an average dungeon run.

Damage reduction from Armor is calculated using a random value between 20% and 100% of your armor value if you're not using a shield, and 40% to 100% if you are using a shield.

That means, on average, each point of armor reduces damage taken by 0.6 and 0.7 for non-shield users and shield users. It adds up pretty quickly, esp for melee fighters such as clerics and warriors.

Elemental Resistances use a more complicated equation, but in the early to mid-game, you're likely using values less than 50%, so we can use the 1 resistance = 1 % reduction in damage.

So for Varaol's Boots, the +6 Ice, +6 Shock, would reduce damage by 6% for each elemental type (less if are already over 50%). Rounding plays a role. That means at about 15 points of incommong elemental damage, that 6% will reduce it by 1 point, or 3 points for 50 points incomming damage.

So if you were being attack equally with physical and elemental damage, the boots would likely nudge ahead. The problem is that just aren't that many areas where elemental damage is a real factor in the early game. (Nilorth Cave, Frozen Depths, Imperial Fortress, Abandoned Tower
?) depending on quest order.) And even in those areas, physical damage is still important. Some minor elemental damage is done here and there, but not really enough to make a noticeable difference from a player's point of view.

Some players hoard Varaol' Boots just to swap to later for a single fight but I'm not sure the slight benefit is worth the inventory space and headache of trying to remember to do it. But hoarders gonna hoard.

By the mid-game, esp late-mid-game, you'll have much better equipment, including elemental protection. So it's not a lasting choice.

Potions of Resistance and healing potions can help smooth out the difference, too.
Thaks for the information, your text are so clarifying

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
@VDX_360 Have you ever seen a dragon fight with a pair of jeans on? Or even a pair of briefs? No sir. Dragons fight butt-naked. Because they are badass.

I say we bring back the Mercian mud pit.
From now on, we fight like dragons.
Majestic, weenie-spinning, buns-wiggling, naked fighting.

#BringBackTheMudPit
#DoTheGreenShirtChallenge :p

VDX_360

Staff member
Dragons wear a skin tight suit of scale armor. It's quite flexibly, made with organic compounds and provides decent protection.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
Dragons wear a skin tight suit of scale armor. It's quite flexibly, made with organic compounds and provides decent protection.

Oh My Tol!!!
Dragons are actually wearing dragon scale armor?
Does that mean... humans wear skin armor?
It does protect us from bacteria attacks...