How I feel after losing an Iron Man to a spike trap, again.

feldon

Loreseeker
I usually just stare at the blank save spot as a single tear rolls down my cheek.

SirDonkalot

defenitly starring for a while :D

Last time when the spikes dropped me down to 2 Hp while the healthbar was completly blank, i think my heart stopped for a second....

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
This is how the game is meant to be played, if you ask me...

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
feldon":n7a0v488 said:
DavidBVal":n7a0v488 said:
Oh the joys a playing a sadist's creation...

Actually, it's not a matter of the difficulty. It is the choices, i.e, if you talk to someone, push a lever, etc, knowing there is no way back, you really made a choice. That is what makes Ironman feel like a real adventure to me. Reloading and trying everything makes it completely different.

This was an important part of my "concept", and it hurts me to have been forced to renounce to it. I did because files could get corrupted and I was having lots of problems.

Board Troll

DavidBVal":1f4n5apc said:
feldon":1f4n5apc said:
DavidBVal":1f4n5apc said:
Oh the joys a playing a sadist's creation...

Actually, it's not a matter of the difficulty. It is the choices, i.e, if you talk to someone, push a lever, etc, knowing there is no way back, you really made a choice. That is what makes Ironman feel like a real adventure to me. Reloading and trying everything makes it completely different.

This was an important part of my "concept", and it hurts me to have been forced to renounce to it. I did because files could get corrupted and I was having lots of problems.

Ironman is no joke, makes you THINK about EVERYTHING.

feldon

Loreseeker
I started ironman plays after I was fairly familiar with the game, so some of the 'fear of unknown' is lost. On your next game, I will make my lead character an ironman play and see how long I keep my sanity.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
feldon":2skbvaoz said:
I started ironman plays after I was fairly familiar with the game, so some of the 'fear of unknown' is lost. On your next game, I will make my lead character an ironman play and see how long I keep my sanity.

On future games I will try to plan the file-saving strategy better from the beginning, to allow a "hardcore" mode that is a tad under "Ironman", i.e, no reloading, harsh death penalty.

I have learned so much about how not to do a game... :D

Reatlvl99

I'm not a fan of 1 life modes since you can lose a game from stupid things like being distracted by real life or hitting the healing potion and having it heal you after you already died... but I would like to see a medium-core mode with multiple lives like ToME.