How do you detect secrets with warrior?

vo1d

I'm playing honorable knight, but I have to stick with that filthy scum Adaon. It's not my choice, it's the only way I've found so far to be able to find secret doors. I've tried to put a few points into AWA and leveled that general detection skill - all in vain. Sure I can buy detection scrolls, but it's not an option really: I can't just cast em everywhere, it's too expensive. Of course I can abuse save-load or just check maps from wiki and use scrolls just in right places - but is it really the way I'm supposed to play? I doubt it is...

So how does the warrior find secrets then?

Mvkush

As warrior gathered up items to boost detection, there's some rings, amulet, a helmet, with a level 3 dungeoneering skill and a couple of points in stats, I don't find them too bad, but if you walk all the walls clear the dungeon exit come back and try it again. repeat.

Razznik

Look at it this way if you take abadon with you he gets beat-up a lot, plus you can find secrets easy. :p

Mvkush

The goal of this post seems to be to not have that piece of trash theaving, Unfaithful fellow with you. Leave him in his cage!

Serge

Diadem of Heaven +6%, two rings another 6%, awa +1 necklace 5%
already 21%
After that:
each AWA +5%
each 2 INT +5%

With 3 AWA (for +1 armor ) 2 INT all together 41%
Not especially good but not instant death by traps either.
My lvl14 assassin-rogue has 42% with partial loadout (+3% with both rings). Have to rely on Adaon, scrolls *and* maps for secrets.

vo1d

Serge, your suggestion basically means I have to FOCUS on boosting detection. This approach has so many pitfalls really: diadem is not available early in game, and you can't just wear detection stuff always, it weakens you a lot. You can't carry it with you either because backpack is so small and if you carry some scrolls/potions + spare weapon + detection stuff, it basically means you'll leave most loot on the ground, right?) And EVEN fully packed with detection stuff my warrior never finds secrets in high-level dungeons.

I love the game, but this thing about secrets just makes me mad. The only choice I have is either having cheater Adaon around, or cheating myself with maps and scrolls. I've spent hours and zillions of scrolls trying to find boss room in Mausoleum, it's ridiculous. True RPG usually gives some altermative ways: through riddles or fight or learning lore (journals, letters etc).

I mean when playing warrior without rogue companion, you expect to miss *something*, not *everything*... :)

ZeroesHero

If there were always other ways of finding secrets, through journals or clues or whatever, then perception would be a wasted skill. Scrolls would be obsolete as well.

As long as you have any % in perception it is possible to find secrets. You can use the scrolls to see if there are still some secret rooms in the dungeon.

If you have been through the area already, you should have it pretty well mapped out. Use your in game map to see where a hidden room is likely to be and use a scroll. Or you can run around in little circles near a wall and let the game mechanics work for you. In another thread it was revealed that perception chances get re rolled every 3 seconds.

Or throw all that perception gear onto Adaon and let him find it for you. Once you open a secret door, it's location is always known to your character. Clear a dungeon, explore it with Adaon and scrolls, open all the secret doors, leave, get another companion and go clear it out. No wasted inventory space. No fighting bosses with weakened gear.

Serge

It occurs to me you can configure *any* companion for detection. Especially cleric which have spell for it (IIRC it's not an advanced skill). Companions have weak DPS anyway, so just load them with boosting gear, boost Dungeoneering, PER, and AWA - instant upstanding replacement for filthy Adaon scum.