How do you deal with Grissenda using Bash and Whirlwind

FQVBSina

I noticed my post was removed, perhaps due to the forum being reset since I posted it before the breakdown.

I was asking as a rogue, how do you guys deal with Grissenda pushing enemies away when you are about to strike a stab? Having those two skills on Grissenda is pretty important as a rogue, but it just annoys me so much when I miss a hit because of it.

VDX_360

Staff member
Welcome to the wonderful world of Companion AI problems. :)

Griss has a habbit of bashing or knocking back enemies at the worst time. E.g., when you're about to back-stab an enemy, when you're activating duel, or knocking elemental into things that give them health (fire demon on fire etc).

Hirge loves to use Might when fighting weak or fire enemies, can't figure out when to heal in a tactical manner.

Adaon thinks stepping on traps is the best way to disarm them, and thinks backstabbing from the front is good.

The good news is the issues are well known. The bad news is there's no real easy fix. For your exact issue-Gris knocking enemies at the wrong time-it would be tricky, if even possible to program an AI to predict when you didn't want her to use certain active skills. (Do Not Use Bash or Whirlwind When Stab is Active... might work?)

VDX_360

Staff member
Keep in mind that often a player is attacking a different enemy than Griss so even if Gris was prevented from using skills that have knockback when Stab was active, it might cause her to not use it against enemies you want her to attack....

AhDeh

Or maybe make it possible to bind the companions actions, so they only use them when they are ordered to do that. That should be the easiest fix.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Also in sewer of horror

Hirge loves it to stop moving and using healing while standing in toxic! Even without any enemy around, she stops in poison, only to die during healing...

Wyrm

Loreseeker
I agree to the part of companions getting stuck in toxic waste or fire. Wish they had auto run from those areas. I like the knock backs and misses part. Also the imperfect part of Hirge to heal. It stays with old dungeon crawls. Role the hit dice! They are high % plays but still random(roll of the dice). Hirge and Grissends are young and low on wisdom. So Hirge not a master in the healing arts, But a mid level skill she possesses. So maybe it wouldn't work perfect in battle. Maybe Grissenda would be prone to mistakes in battle.

VDX_360

Staff member
Sometimes you just have to leave your Companions at the door...

Louttit_85

VDX_360":3ni3bdk4 said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Companion AI problems. :)

I don't really mind it. I use Adaon as my companian and every now and then he stuns/kick an enemy back when I'm about to do one of those strong hits.

I'd use invisibility and quickly do a strong attack before Adaon gets a chance to strike. Or if I'm feeling lazy I'll run by the enemy and put Adaon inbetween us so the enemy attacks him and I just go behind the enemy and do my strong attack than.

You can also give your companion attack orders if you just talk to them. I rarely use it.

In the beginning I just ninja's my early quests until I came across stronger enemies. Now I use a companion to get through some troubled areas.

For stealth wise stuff I'd tell Adaon to wait while I sneak by some areas.

I miss out on some EXP by doing that but every now and then I usually just grind where the strong enemies are like the dragons outside of white tower (the loot isn't as good there). For money I'd do townhall quests or grind near New Anther. I got four life replenishers so I'm out grinding out a bit before I have to replenish my replenishers.

FQVBSina

VDX_360":1735hdth said:
Sometimes you just have to leave your Companions at the door...
XD At the glacier, I had Grissenda wait so I can turn on dodge and run to get the priest's amulet in the sea of fire.

By the way, is a mage companion anywhere on the future update list?

VDX_360

Staff member
Per the Developer, there's no time-table for a mage Companion. It's on the wish-list, it might be on the to-do list, but it's after EK II comes out, and maybe after world peace is achieved... so, don't hold your breath, or alter your current playing plans.