Holy shield- should I spend points?

VDX_360

Staff member
My personal opinion is that Holy Shield isn't as useful as other skills so it's a pass. Holy Shield offers some decent armor and death protection, but other skills are more useful in a wider range of situations. Death Resistance is pretty easy to come by so even in death damage areas, you can still do well.

The only place Holy Shield stands out is the Pit because so may enemies do intense death damage. But that just goes back to the limited use issue.

If you have a bunch of skill points sitting around, you might find some Advanced Skills that catch your eye.

VDX_360

Staff member
You take a bath in ketch-up, that way you're well seasoned for when the dragon eats you.

Red Dragons hit with heavy physical and heavy fire damage. Thus, high defense and high fire resistance are useful. Fire protection though equipment (esp rings!) and fire resist potions can dramatically reduce the fire damage. Ice weapons and ice attacks might prove useful as red dragons are weak against ice damage.

A summons at the start of the fight can help, even if it's just a wolf summons. Ice elementals will do more damage due to elemental resist factor but will get melted pretty quickly once the dragon attacks them. Every attack the dragon does on your summons is one less attack it does on you.

Try to get the dragon between you and your Companion. That way one of you is hitting with flanking attacks at all times. Your companion should be geared in the best equipment you get get, including fire protection.

Depending on how you use your Companion, you can make your Companion either the damage dealer or the tank that takes the hits. Between your cleric's and the ability to use healing items, you should be able to consume a lot of potions. Keep in mind your Companion can use potions, too.

Defense and attack potions should be used right at the start of the fight, and used again anytime you're at full health and can use items.

The first few red dragons you fight might prove a handful, but as you tackle them, it gets pretty easy.

VDX_360

Staff member
I don't think Spirit Breaker gets extra damage for dragons...... I think they're elementals for the purpose of element resistance.... I may need someone to weigh in as I've never checked for that exact point.

VDX_360

Staff member
Thanks. Pretty sure that was the case but its nice to know for certain

Makrove

Dragons generally take full death elemental dmg and opposite elemental of their elemental if they fire use cold and if they cold use fire and so on red dragon generally strongest dragon and has high stats so try fight him later in 17 lvl or more that time you will be heard up best gear that you can get before end game gear and use grissanda as tank companion or rogue companion for dmg mindnthat you will use some potions use longer lifetime potion first as resistance potions and lower lifetime at last and enter fight mind don't use dmg or armor potions if you or companion low hp only when they enough hp

mashedpotatogin

It's the only shield skill you can get if you're playing Warrior's Guild Cleric, but offers +8 armor and 80 death resistance without anything else on max level compared to Battle Prayer, that offers resistances to all at 25 value and +5 damage and +8 armor, which is a lot better.