Holy Cleric / Double Cleric.

VDX_360

Staff member
I ran a test of playing a Cleric dedicated to The Three paired with Hirge. No issues to report. Nothing unexpected. Game seems balanced for that pairing.

Might made up for limited weapon use in early game, and Battle Prayer tipped the scales for the rest of the game.

Flames of Faith and Battle Prayer did better than Duel + Heavy Hand against bosses, but was very mana intensive. Battle Prayer was useful to use multiple times in a dungeon run to help edge out enemies.

I gave Hirge Might 1 to help with her damage output. Keeping it at Level 1 reduced mana use for her. Giving her Level 2 or Level 3 would have helped offset the healing-with-fire issue. I gave her a shield but she would have done good with a 2-H weapon. I had her max out Duel and Heavy Hand as advanced skills at the cost of her only learning Heal 2. I would suggest giving her Heal 3, and skipping Duel and using skill points elsewhere.

Quest options based on being loyal to The Three were obvious (either a character tells you directly, or a reputation). No real impact on the game... yet. Failing to rob the bank didn't result in loosing anything of long-term consequence.

With two clerics, purchasing healing potions was really a non-issue. That allowed saving up money pretty fast.

Conclusion: The Holy Cleric build paired with Hirge is a viable pairing. Nothing to recommend to adjust for the next update.

VDX_360

Staff member
Sort of - mostly?

The post you link was a first attempt but ended up being a Summoning-Fighter build with skill points invested in melee skills rather than Flames of Faith / Battle Prayer. Since the entire point of this test was to assess the viability of Cleric skills, it seemed best to start-over, which was this thread.

Because Flames of Faith and Battle Prayer are party skills, it lends itself well to Guardian Wolf, which in turn lends itself to the skill Summoner.

There was another test done with just Cleric / Church of the Three skills. That build differed only slightly. Guardian Wolf without Summoner. Still doable, but those 3 extra levels of Spirit Wolf from Summoner were missed.

Battle Prayer gets used a lot. In mid-game, using it here and there really helps with clearing dungeons and bosses. By upper teens, one has enough mana to use it almost constantly. That gives a nice well rounded set of buffs. Damage, Armor, Resistances.

Flames of Faith is used less but helps out against large fights. Using it at the start of the fight helps boost your party till the enemies are reduced to a more bearable number. Since it hits everyone in it's range, it can do a lot of damage, plus heal everyone in you party.

Commiades

I've always struggled mid-level to balance skills with summoning levels - summoning is pretty SP expensive, but needs Battle Prayer and Flames of Faith for full benefit. What to prioritise?

VDX_360

Staff member
For Clerics, investing into Level 1 of Guardian Wolf and Battle Prayer is a good start. Investing in Guardian Wolf so it's about your level is a good spacing. Maxing out Guardian Wolf too early is a waste because the wolf won't go over your level. Summoner will help with that but in early levels you really don't need the extra levels for your wolf.

Flames of Faith use nifty for boss fights and mob ambushes, but you won't use it nearly as much as Battle Prayer and Guardian Wolf. So make Flames of Faith a lower priority.

With the new content coming out, Beast Master lets you summon a Level 10 Bear without using mana. It makes for a nifty back-up summon, esp if Intervention triggers and you're out of mana.

Deleted member 28869

Around what level do you recommend do I get battle prayer and flames of faith? And at what level do I keep them? Which should I prioritize?

VDX_360

Staff member
It's hard to give an exact level answer. Both skills have prerequisites that you can meet in a few different ways.

Battle Prayer is most useful at Level 3. Up until then, a few potions can mimic the effect. A resist potion plus a +6 Damage potion do about the same for the early game and the early part of the mid-game. Plus you might be tight on mana and need to use it for healing etc.

At start of game focus on:
1) If your heal skills does less than 75% of your HP, increase it. That keeps it effective in combat, without wasting it.
2) Getting Might 1 (or higher if you'd like)
3) One or two levels of Sacred Fire. It's mana intensive in early game but useful, esp in group fights.

In the early Mid-game, focus on:
4) Getting requirements down (PERS 5, Sacred Fire 3, N. Barrier 2)
5) Learning Guardian Wolf (Keep it so that it's not wasting a level about yours)

In the mid-game, focus on:
6) Learning Battle Prayer
7) Learning Flames of Faith.
8) Learning Summoner

As you progress through the mid-game, invest in Summoner and Guardian Wolf so that the wolf is not wasting levels and not overly mana expensive.

I tend to invest in 1 level of Battle Prayer and 1 level of Flames of Faith as soon as possible so that they're able to get use. I than invest in Battle Prayer until it's Level 3. I rarely get Flames of Faith over Level 2.

You can use Might 1 for most the game. It's dirt cheap and gives a notable damage increase. In the later game, Battle Prayer 3 will be a go-to skill in group fights, but Might 1 can be useful when you just need an slight increase in damage.

Deleted member 28869

But how about the ark? How do you survive there? Sure enough using flames of faith is for battle droids and ambushes, but how about the normal enemies? Using battle prayer all the time seems mana intensive and it's a bit hard to keep spirit wolf alive there, especially the reactor.

RPG GAMER.

Just
But how about the ark? How do you survive there? Sure enough using flames of faith is for battle droids and ambushes, but how about the normal enemies? Using battle prayer all the time seems mana intensive and it's a bit hard to keep spirit wolf alive there, especially the reactor.
Use the mana pots you get at the sunken citadel

Last edited: