Hirge retribution not working

Mon

Hello, I just recently played the game. I finally have Hirge learn her advance skill and I noticed that her retribution skill doesn't work. I killed so many skeletons and even let her kill them by herself but no mana is gained. Is there a fix for this or it's an issue that still haven't fixed? My version is 1.2.1124

Eduardo SM

I had the same problem, and asked for help here, they tried to help me about Hirge skill, and desisted after a fell tries. =/

VDX_360

Staff member
Thanks for reporting.

There's been reports the skill is a bit buggy, but the prevailing theory has been that Hirge must get the killing blow for the skill to work. You're stating that's happening, but you're still not getting the magic?

I'll try to re-create the issue.

VDX_360

Staff member
Also, re-spawns of enemies DO NOT give the mana (e.g. ghosts that spawn that only give 5 xp). But original ghosts (and other undead) should.

With the introduction of the very cheap Deepfrost Cognac, Retribution lost of a lot of it's appeal but it should still work.

Mon

Yes after a few tries and experimenting skill is totally not working. I tried to reset her skill in New Garand and learn the skills. I let her slay ghosts and skeletons, still not working. Although potions are commonly dropped or cheap, this skill is way too OP if learned. Especially for dungeons such as Azagul tomb full of skeletons and mummies.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
this is strange. I just tried and worked, so it depends on something else triggering the problem. Can someone send me a save to [email protected] indicating which save to load to reproduce the problem? thanks.

VDX_360

Staff member
@Eduardo SM , the challenge with uncommon, intermittent bugs is that they can be difficult to re-create, and hard to locate where the hiccup is occurring. But as more people report an issue, it's can help narrow down the problem.

Eduardo SM

Alright VDX_360, what's funny that the skill works ok with the main character, but with the Hirge, respecting all the pre-requisits don't work rsrs

VDX_360

Staff member
I was able to observe this issue but unable to re-create, even using the same save file. This is odd.

Using a current playthrough that was ready for the Forbidden Pit, I reset Hirge's skills. This is what I found on my first attempt:

When I first reset her traits and skills in New Garand, I went to Kingsbridge, the Deadwood and the Mausoleum. I gave her traits and skills per a typical build-out. I gave her Retribution 1, and saved enough skill points in reserve to up her Level 2. Hirge did NOT get mana from the undead until the Mausoleum. She didn't get mana from surface undead in Kingsbridge or Deadwood. The mana note failed to appear on screen.

After consistently getting mana from undead inside the Mausoleum, I upped her Retribution Skill to Level 2. Note, Hirge got mana from any undead killed, no matter who made the kill, or who damaged it with both Retribution 1 and Retribution 2. Hirge got mana even when she was unconscious and off-screen. She also got the mana from surface undead on Deadwood and Kingsbridge when I excited the Mausoleum.

I loaded a save right before skill reset and attempt to recreate the issue. It DID NOT recreate. Hirge got mana from any undead killed.

I loaded the save again, and reset Hirge's skill and traits, but only gave her INT 2 and Retribution 1 (Int 2 is required for the Skill). The mana point appeared on screen but not in her mana pool. This seems to be the negative mana issue. When her skills reset, she lost a lot of mana due to the drop in INT and PERs, giving her an unseen negative value. Her mana pool read "0". Once her mana pool was above zero, Retribution worked with her getting the correct mana from any undead killed.

I can consistently re-create the negative mana issue but can't seem to re-create the issue with Retribution not working. I don't have a save file of it not working because as soon as I loaded a save, it worked. I didn't think to save mid-map, which might have captured the issue in the code???

Could this be a loading error? I'm not sure how an error in map loading would impact Hirge but I can't think of anything else that would be so resistant to being re-created?

VDX_360

Staff member
@DavidBVal , @Eduardo SM , I have a save file in which Retribution I is not working. Bak file emailed to David.

Adding to the mystery is that as soon as my Main Character uses Arbenos' Might, Retribution starts working. Well, Hirge gets mana from every undead killed not just the ones she kills. I could consistently re-create that detail using a mid-map save and an area auto-save.