Hey, new player here

TRIAX115

First off I just wanna say... this game is amazing. I would compare it to if Dark Souls met Diablo and had a child. It's crazy I just found this game 2-3 days ago. Splendid work on the game. I'm super excited for the update and I hope the best of luck on your new project.
That being said.
I'm a level 7 mage, and just wanted to ask all the experienced players on here if it's better I buy from the shop as I can? Or save my money and just grind for gear in dungeons and quests. Thanks.

VDX_360

Staff member
First time? Going as a mage? You have chosen death :) Mages are pretty squishy at first but grow to be quite powerful.

As to your question, it's totally up to you. I --think-- the game works better if you push ahead and use equipment drops with the occasional purchase. But some players like to grind for those lucky drops. In the early game, money can be tight. Mages might want to save their coin for health and mana potions. Wizard towers can give you a real hook-up on cheap mana potions.

Generally, equipment drops will often be better than what you can buy. But, sometimes you might get bad luck on a drop rate, or need something ASAP.

Keep in mind enemy levels scale with you so grinding out a lot in the very early game might make the next few dungeons a little harder. That is until you get better gear or level-up.

TRIAX115

😂 I accept the challenge. Gassandra is such a lovely punching ba- I mean companion. I actually haven't had too much of an issue with money. I assume later on it gets harder... But I tend to keep it strategic with what I buy vs what's needed.

Also, (probably a redundant question) where is the best place to get started on the mages guild?

VDX_360

Staff member
The Wiki (link at tope of page) has a wealth of information. Be mindful of spoilers, or losing the discovery aspect of the game.

The Wizard Guild (click for details) requires completing several quests for wizard enclaves scattered around the world. I'm sure you're eager to join the guild but those quests will take a bit to knock out. The wizard guild is the hardest guild to join. But the enclaves can teach you wizard stuff so you can learn a few skills before actually joining the guild.

The Sagar Enclave has the easist quest to do. You can just grab something and run. Just don't get eating. Or you can fight. But the quest reward is rather... disappointing. You'll find the Wizard Guild is equally arrogant as it is cheap. No wonder no one likes them.

Oh, one bit of caution. Don't kill any wizards in a town that might have an issue with you. (Vague to avoid spoiler). While no class is served with a negative reputation with the wizard guild, mages are really screwed if they kill a guild member. There's only you can mess up on. Politeness, not threats.

clyne13

LOL welll i enjoy the game im at lvl 18 for now... haha this game is really HARD

VDX_360

Staff member
The game contains several weapons that can be obtained very early using out-of-game knowledge and a mixture of skill, luck and some willingness to risk dying... a lot. For mages, the Branch of the Holy Tree tops that list. Because it has Arcane I attribute, it can be mana intensive to use.

Invector

VDX, you've helped me a great deal in the past, and so I'd like to ask you another question based on something you said.
You wrote: "Mages are pretty squishy at first but grow to be quite powerful." "Keep in mind enemy levels scale with you...."

Can you explain how the enemy scaling works? If enemy levels scale up right along with your character, how does any character become quite powerful? Wouldn't any level increase in character be nullified as the enemy level increases also? What am I missing here?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if my efforts to increase my Mage level is a waste of time. I've beaten the Lord of the Pit in the Elemental Plane of Fire using my Warrior at level 26, but despite multiple tries I have not been able to beat it using my Mage at levels 25, 27, and 29. I said to myself, "okay, dammit, I'll take this sucker to level 40 and then we'll see!" :mad:
But if the enemy level increases right along with my Mage, am I just wasting my time trying to beat the thing with brute force?

Like I said, I'm confused about how a Mage gets to be "Crazy powerful" (as someone in another thread wrote) if enemies scale up right along with the Mage.

Thanks for your help!

VDX_360

Staff member
@Invector, level scaling in Exiled Kingdom is pretty straightforward. The level of non-boss enemies can vary over a a pre-defined range. The enemies won't go below, or above their range so you can still run into over powered enemies if you press too fast. Likewise, if you grind forever, you won't have to worry about Level 99 Goblins. You might have noticed sometimes enemies are replaced with a slightly stronger version.

The level of unique enemies (i.e. bosses) isn't impacted by the scaling.

The two most cited times game scaling can cause problems occur in the early game. One's a general issue, the other is linked to specific map.

For example, a player grinding the first three dungeons might reach Level 6 to Level 10 before exploring farther away from the starting town. That can trigger enemies on the other places to start to be harder. But since the player hasn't gotten past Tier 1 equipment, the scaled up enemies might have outpaced the character's combat ability. As the character gets new equipment, etc, balance is restored. So it's not a long term problem, just something that might pop up here or there.

The Unknown Dungeon is known to be easier at Level 4 at Level 10. Your character looses all his or her equipment at the start of that dungeon. For low levels, that's not big of a deal. You'll find some Tier 1 stuff in the dungeon. But, at higher levels, the Tier 1 equipment you find noticeably suffers against now higher level enemies.

In general, it seems a player that pushes forward in the game, tends to find equipment as it's needed, and tends to preform better than a player that grinds a lot in the very early game.

Level scaling is only a tiny factor in the often experienced plateau in the mid-game. That's when a player seems strong for the early game, but not quite ready for the mid-game dungeons. That tends to be do more to quest order and player choices than game mechanics. The so-called plataue tends to only last a level or two. Just enough for a player to get a little stronger or find a quest that's doable. (Dragon Hunting at Level 10 is not always advisable.)

Each class and build is impacted slightly differently. Playing style, Difficulty Level and quest order all play a role, too.

As for your other line of questioning, it's also pretty straightforward. Enemy Scaling only occurs over a narrow range. So mid-to-high level characters tend not to be impacted at all by it. In addition, your mage, for example, gets a companion, gets lots of advanced skills, access to top tier equipment, and lots of advanced skills. Lastly, you as the player, might learn how to best use your mage. Synergy is very real. A Level 10 mage with a Level 7 Companion and a Level 7 fire elemental isn't something to laugh at but a level 20 mage with a level 16 Companion and a Level 18 Iron Golem is down right terrifying.

Invector

"a level 20 mage with a level 16 Companion and a Level 18 Iron Golem is down right terrifying."
Yeah, well that Pit Lord didn't seem all that terrified. 😄

Anyway, I get it. As usual, thanks for your help!!