Help needed regarding The Golden Hand and the Secrets of the Dead quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewJens

Loreseeker
Hi all,

I've currently got a -6 reputation with the Golden Hand and I'm wondering how to finish the Secrets of the Dead quest?

I've returned one of the four books to the Loreseekers in New Garand and I've got two other books in my vault. The one book I don't have is in the Grey Library in Freetown but unfortunately I either need to have a positive reputation with the Golden Hand or be able to fight through the welcoming party at the start of the Grey Library to gain entry to the library.

I tried (without saving) giving both books to the Golden Hand in the library however that only got my reputation to zero – still not enough to be allowed in to get the last book. I've tried (oh, geez how I've tried) to fight my way past the Golden Hand guys to get into the library but I can't manage it (I'm a level 17 rouge with a level 15 Grissenda companion).

I can't see any other way to get a positive reputation with the Golden Hand, so should I just forget about the quest until I'm much stronger?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Sounkeng

I got through after only giving 2 books... I don't know why you are having this issue, unless David changed how much each book alters your reputation.

My recommendation is to try giving both books again...

Sorry I can't be more help

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
You need a positive rep with golden hand to enter, and each book gives +3 rep and subtracts 1 rep from the rival faction. So if you start at -5, you might turn in 2 books to golden hand and (after you gain access) hand the third and fourth to whoever you wish, it should work.

AndrewJens

Loreseeker
DavidBVal":fg7p6icb said:
You need a positive rep with golden hand to enter, and each book gives +3 rep and subtracts 1 rep from the rival faction. So if you start at -5, you might turn in 2 books to golden hand and (after you gain access) hand the third and fourth to whoever you wish, it should work.

Yep, except my reputation with Golden Hand is -6; which means that if I hand over two books I'll be back to zero (which isn't "positive").
:cry:

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
AndrewJens":33yfad19 said:
Yep, except my reputation with Golden Hand is -6.
Helping Fritha should give you -5 with the Golden Hand. What else did you do to upset them? Didn't know that it was even possible to get below -5 before the update.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
MikeB":1yf9s2d9 said:
AndrewJens":1yf9s2d9 said:
Helping Fritha should give you -5 with the Golden Hand. What else did you do to upset them? Didn't know that it was even possible to get below -5 before the update.

Maybe handing one tome to the Loreseekers?

AndrewJens

Loreseeker
MikeB":2zzf585q said:
AndrewJens":2zzf585q said:

By the way, what's going on with the Varannari? -62!
I think that a town hall quest ruined my reputation with my previous friends. Is there any way back?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10 Dec 2016 21-14-46).jpg
    Screenshot (10 Dec 2016 21-14-46).jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 4,315

Glass Cannon

Loreseeker
AndrewJens":2phxvvtp said:
MikeB":2phxvvtp said:
AndrewJens":2phxvvtp said:

By the way, what's going on with the Varannari? -62!
I think that a town hall quest ruined my reputation with my previous friends. Is there any way back?

Cheers,
Andrew.

It can only get worse haha: i am a criminal because i give everything to the lore seekers and the amulet quest to the female..... stupid goldenhand whahaha i am the golden middle finger instead of the goldenhand......

http://imgur.com/lijvD6V

ITS JUST A JOKE DAVID.......... keep the fun here and in the game alright.

acfredricks

I'm stuck here as well. I can't enter the library to get the last book nor the quest that sends you to the snow to free someone for the rogue guild.

- Helped Fritha
- 1 book to Loreseekers
- 2 books to Golden Hand

AndrewJens

Loreseeker
acfredricks":12yrwhem said:
I'm stuck here as well. I can't enter the library to get the last book nor the quest that sends you to the snow to free someone for the rogue guild.

- Helped Fritha
- 1 book to Loreseekers
- 2 books to Golden Hand

Yeah, the Grey Library gave me trouble for a long time. I'm level 18 with a level-15 companion and just today … I managed to bash my way into the library. The technique I used was to let my companion deal with the three at the entry to the library while I used Sprint to get past to the right and through a couple of doors. I did have to handle a couple of Iron Golems and a Librarian but eventually I was able to recharge my health (when left alone). Of course, my companion was (temporarily) toast but I was able to go back towards the entrance and pick off the welcoming party.

Of course, my reputation with the Golden Hand is now -55 (as per the image loaded above in this thread) so I'm hoping that the next evolution of the game doesn't involve too much co-operation from them.

Cheers,
Andrew.

PS. Save just before you read the book in the library (that teleports you) in case you decide that you don't want to complete the "Lost in a Good Book" quest just yet. (It's a long walk back if you don't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.