Heal Companions with Heal Wounds I

dyanrilliams

I think it would be a great benefit as a cleric to be able to heal your companions. There is no way to currently select them and heal them except using the recovery button. And using the Recovery button Just to heal your companion when you're at full health and mana is a huge waste and bummer. I feel as a healer you should be able to do that.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Agreed, Heal will apply to your whole party, or I'll allow to target it, not sure which.

dyanrilliams

Are we allowed to have more than one person in a party? (I havn't gotten to far into the game.) If so that heal might be little OP. You would either have to reduce the healing or change the mana cost.

If it were targeting I feel that would be great. I don't know how hard it would be to code targeting. I think just tapping on a person and then pressing the skill would be the most comfortable way to do it as far as a mobile standpoint.

Also I feel like the mana cost is a little high at low level. I feel like I can only cast my heal once but then it leaves me no mana for my offensive spells. (I guess that's what potions are for but they are super expensive at low levels as well.)

The only reason I feel like the mana cost is too high is because of how difficult and strong monsters or packs of monsters are. I find it difficult to handle that many mobs without having to run back to town to refresh my recovery button every 5 minutes. Maybe I'm just pushing myself to hard and running into mobs I can't handle. That's just how I feel personally.

abstractsense

Loreseeker
I agree that heal should be targeted. There are two (permanent) companions currently available in the game (Warrior, Rogue), and I think if a Cleric companion were added it would be too powerful/obvious which to choose if they had heal all. Another option, of course, is to allow heal all only at higher skill levels.

I think the amount heal currently does is fine, considering that it provides so much longevity between tavern rests. The game is sort of designed to be played slowly.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
About targeting: yeah, it WILL be implemented for spellcasting (and for desktop version, as it will work with mouse mostly), so at that point I might as well make Heal a targeted skill, and until then, make it work on a short area round you.

Zarky

It would be less of a headache if heal wounds auto heals the one with the lowest hit points, wether it be you or your companion, which would alleviate the 'overpowered' concept for the cleric companion. The heal skill for the cleric companion will trigger when hp's get below a certain percentage, lets say 50%, for starters, but that can be adjusted based on the heal skill level of the companion. When mana runs low, we have our trusty health potions. After combat, we have the recovery skill to use if neccessary. Manageing to select a target in heighth of combat could be costly. :)

KimPera

Zarky":3r4noeoh said:
It would be less of a headache if heal wounds auto heals the one with the lowest hit points, wether it be you or your companion, which would alleviate the 'overpowered' concept for the cleric companion. The heal skill for the cleric companion will trigger when hp's get below a certain percentage, lets say 50%, for starters, but that can be adjusted based on the heal skill level of the companion. When mana runs low, we have our trusty health potions. After combat, we have the recovery skill to use if neccessary. Manageing to select a target in heighth of combat could be costly. :)

Personally, I'd go for simplicity.

Heal level 1 -> as is now.
Heal level 2 -> as is now, plus 50% heal to whole party.
Heal level 3 -> as is now, plus heal whole party.

Maybe make the skill more expensive for late levels if you do this.

abstractsense

Loreseeker
I agree with KimPera, but I'd like to add that auto-healing the lowest HP party member is a bad idea for two reasons:

First, your life and your companion's life are not on equal footing. If you die, the game is over, but if your companion dies, they respawn when no enemies are around or if you change zones. So usually it's more important that precious heals are used on you than on them. Even if companion permadeath were a thing, then you'd probably not want them to die in many cases (reloading from last save is probably better than permanently losing a companion), so their life would probably be more important.

Second, the game shouldn't be making this sort of decision for you. It's like if companions automatically attempted to disarm traps. It just leads to player frustration when the computer does something stupid.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
abstractsense":p16kzkzx said:
I agree with KimPera, but I'd like to add that auto-healing the lowest HP party member is a bad idea for two reasons:

First, your life and your companion's life are not on equal footing. If you die, the game is over, but if your companion dies, they respawn when no enemies are around or if you change zones. So usually it's more important that precious heals are used on you than on them. Even if companion permadeath were a thing, then you'd probably not want them to die in many cases (reloading from last save is probably better than permanently losing a companion), so their life would probably be more important.

Second, the game shouldn't be making this sort of decision for you. It's like if companions automatically attempted to disarm traps. It just leads to player frustration when the computer does something stupid.

There is a long road to go regarding how companions will work, definitely we need better control of them, a more customizable AI. And also, at some point, I'm going to introduce companion "fatigue". this will mean that, if a companion dies too often, he'll eventually take a vacation, or maybe take a small XP penalty.

the idea behind this is that you switch between companions. Probably not all of them (there will be 4-6 of them), but likely between 2 or 3 of them, through the game. In any case, switching will also be more easy when there is housing, so you get them all conveniently located together.

Rifkan

I'd stick to targeting spells even for mobile devices. Just need to work out how easy it will be to "mis-click" once we are able to heal companions. Some combination of the suggestions here may work well.