Greater ring of death ward - unique?

KYTX

Translator
Joined
04/01/2018
Messages
72
Hi people,

I've been trying to get the second greater rign of death ward but I can't. Wiki says its an uncommon item that I can find in the large chest in Deep Cauldron. However, the two chests in the dragon liar there do not reset. Does that mean this ring is unique or is there another one somewhere? I searched the forum and found the ring mentioned in the context that one can wear two of them rings for greater death res.
 

VDX_360

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
20/01/2017
Messages
6,137
Wow.... I'm blanking on this one. There's one in the chest, which you got.... not sure about the location, if one exists, for a second one.

Greater Ring of Death Ward gives +40, Ring of Death Ward gives +30. You can buy the +30 one and with a few other equipment items or potions of death ward, the difference isn't too noticeable.

Keep in mind the element resistance is a bit weird. 50 resistance blocks about 50%, 100 resistance blocks about 75% (diminishing returns) and due to rounding anything over 100 or so starts to be the same.

Are you prepping for a particular need? Lich, the Crown of Tol?
 

KYTX

Translator
Joined
04/01/2018
Messages
72
Nah, I just found it weird that there are Greater versions of other rings that you can find at least a couple each (haven't seen the fire ring yet though) and I've been looking for it ever since. I'm aware of how the resistance stat works and extra 10 on top of 100 doesn't add as many %. On the other hand, the closer you are to 100%, the more each additional % impacts the remaining amount of damage that gets through. Like, adding 1% on top of 90% actually reduces incoming (although already greatly reduced) damage by 1/10th, so perhaps it's not so useless. Anyways, looks like a correction is needed either in Wiki or in the actual prohramming to add the spawn.
 

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Joined
31/10/2016
Messages
1,390
Location
Germany
KYTX":342psqxq said:
Anyways, looks like a correction is needed either in Wiki or in the actual prohramming to add the spawn.
It's the former. Thanks for pointing this out. Corrected now.
 

KYTX

Translator
Joined
04/01/2018
Messages
72
Regarding the resistance, I wanted to write it to PM since it's off-topic, but I think it would be interesting for others as well because there isn't too many examples of calculating the resistance on Wiki. If I'm wrong though, it'll help me understand the math of it better. So, here it goes.

Death ward I + full Tolassian armor set + Blessed Necklace + Nivarian Cloak + Ring of DW + Greater Ring of DW = 167 res to Death (I'm not including Personality bonus here, but my PER is 4). 167 res = (50/1)% + (30/2)% + (30/3)% + ((167-50-30-30)/4)% = (50 + 15 + 10 + 14.25)% = 89.25%. So, 10.75% of damage gets through, rounded down to nearest integer.

If I had the 2nd GRoDW instead, I'd have 177 res = (50 + 15 + 10 + 16.75)% = 91.75% leaving 8.25% of damage to come through rounded down to nearest integer.

Now, without rounding, I'd be reducing my incoming damage by exactly further 2.25%, which is relative to 10.75% is another (2.25/10.75)*100% = 20.9% reduction of the incoming, although already greatly decreased, damage. That's what I was talking about.

Now, with rounding, let's say we're getting attacked by a Varannari Witch (normal difficulty), who does on avarage 19 Death damage. With 167 res I'll take int(19*0.1075) = 2 damage. With 177 res I'll take int(19*0.0825) = 1 damage. That's twice is little. Now you may say that give or take 1 damage doesn't matter but what if you're swarmed? The difference will quickly add up. So that's why I'm saying it's not so pointless perhaps.
 

Top