Going to try a new tactic with my rogue...

Cuckoorex

I was going after the named White Dragon in Xildar cave (which is called icemarrow cave in the Wiki for some reason) with my level 14 rogue and Hirge as my companion. I had two recoveries and only 5 greater healing potions, level 2 stab and level 3 evasion. First attempt, I was of course out of recoveries and potions before even half way to my goal. So I patiently lured enemies to me one at a time, hit evasion and stab, flanked them with Hirge and hoped for the best. This worked well enough, and I probably could have gotten to the dragon eventually, but I was aware that he would destroy me pretty easily, sooooo... I recalled back to Lannegar. I rested and was going to go find someplace that sold greater healing potions when it occurred to me; moderate healing potions are a better bargain in terms of points healed per gp, you're just paying extra for getting more healing at once before the cooldown. And lesser healing potions are an even better bargain. Using my baiting tactics like before, I think I should be able to clear a path to the dragon, then stay out of sight drinking enough lesser healing potions to max health (or use a recovery if I can save one; Hirge is likely to run out of mana by then.) Then it'll be hit and run; evasion and stab, when evasion drops I lay a trap and start running in circles and drinking health potions until evasion and stab are ready, then repeat until the dragon is dead. Probably will need to take several tries to perfect it, hopefully the points I put into precision strikes and massive criticals will kick in. I'll report back on how it goes later.

VDX_360

Staff member
1) Yes, weaker health potions are MUCH more affordable.
2) Be careful not to get too far from an enemy when doing hit-and-run tactics. Certain mini-boss type enemies regenerate rather quickly when not in active combat.
3) Hiring a mercenary might help with the first part of the cave. Same with some Wolf scrolls.
4) If Hirge is your go-to Companion, Epic Omelettes will be a nice addition to your supply chest.

terryberry

Loreseeker
VDX_360":3l2vgkse said:
4) If Hirge is your go-to Companion, Epic Omelettes will be a nice addition to your supply chest.
I'm not sure the buddy can make those at ease, if he / she is having difficulties at Xialdar :I

VDX_360

Staff member
Getting the Chef the Golden Apples for the first Chef errand might be a problem too.... One can only use so many speed potions.

terryberry

Loreseeker
VDX_360":mh6qq3nx said:
Getting the Chef the Golden Apples for the first Chef errand might be a problem too.... One can only use so many speed potions.
Those merchants drive a hard bargain indeed.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Cuckoorex":3fwbua8e said:
I was going after the named White Dragon in Xildar cave (which is called icemarrow cave in the Wiki for some reason)
There was some confusion about the naming of this cave after the initial release. This got fixed at some point in the game, but obviously never in the Wiki. Will be corrected soon. Thanks for reporting.

Xen

Loreseeker
BTW Icemarrow Cave is Xildar Cave

Don't hunt rumor bosses without enough Potion of Greater Healing, I know it is hard for you to hunt Golden Apples or Vorator Eggs so your only alternative as of the moment is Potion of Greater Healing or the more expensive Scroll of Restoration. Because of this Rumor Boss difficulties a grind is a must, Mausoleum and Royal Mercian Crypt is your friend for that. Early grinding is good as it can build your supplies and conserve quests for exp later on.

Cuckoorex

Thanks, everyone. Honestly, I wonder if I'm jumping the gun somewhat with the rogue, biting off more than she can chew; I got used to my lvl 24 warrior cutting through enemies with cleave and massive crits using Rancor and Permafrost Greataxe so much, adopting a different approach to combat sometimes gets forgotten. Yeah, I have taken on some Vorators but health gets depleted quickly, and Matriarchs are easily as tough as most rumor bosses for this character.

I'm going to test out the tactics I described above tonight, maybe it'll work, maybe not. We'll see.

On a side note, I got Stiletto early on but it seems there are few enemies that Death damage really does much, and there are a LOT of undead that Death damage actually heals them, so I put that sword in storage and am using fire damage weapons (hoping to get Primal Icicle soon, too) instead.

Xen

Loreseeker
Try Devourer Sting together with an Off-hand Lightning Main Gauche, it can easily cut undead enemies. Finish the quest "World is a Stage" so you can get a downgraded version of Primal Icicle, it is the same thing but Icicle only got Orcslayer I ability instead of Orcslayer II.

Cuckoorex

Current status; I'm just out of detectable range for the white dragon, used my last recovery, have evasion and stab ready to go, two potions of resist cold, one moderate healing potion and 17 minor healing potions. That's where I quicksaved. Tried 5 or 6 times now, came close twice to beating him. I'm sure I'll do it eventually; scoring a massive crit or two would help a LOT of course!