glitch with 'A Mad Wizard'

Drunk3nSmilez

During the initial confrontation with Janod and Adaon, something came up and i had to exit the game in the middle of the conversation. next i log back on, i see my rep with the wizards guild has lowered by 40. i put it off for a few sessions, but eventually i go to the sewers to get along with the quest line and find the option to advance the quest in the convo with Butterfingers isnt there, and upon further investigation i see i dont even have the quest in my journal, active or completed. so i go back to janod, and like i suspected he did not stop me with adaon, indicating we had already spoken. i walk up and initiate conversation and at the end i loose ANOTHER 40 rep so now im at -80. this is a huge hinderance. Any thoughts? id like to get this fixed if possible

VDX_360

Staff member
@Drunk3nSmilez, moved to support.

This sounds like it can be lumped in with the general category of closing the game mid-dialogue or during quest updating. That can cause rare, and sometimes unpredictable issues with quest states.

The easiest fix is a back up save file.

Other fixes involve editing the game file, but that's way above my pay-grade.

It sounds like you triggered the -40 rep at the start of the dialogue, but closed the game before you chose how to deal with the matter, thus there was no journal update. The result would be the game thinking you're still at step 1 of the quest.

Another option is that the program addressed the issue, but there was an issue with the saving process. That's a mixture of a program issue and actual physical process of saving game-states.

Neither of those options can be fixed by player action