Full lore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagrum

Hi!

Is there a full game lore?
(I saw an article about this here, but it seems to be written in fragments)

Thanks in advance.

VDX_360

Staff member
Not really.

David, The Developer, follows the old-school mentality of hinting at lore, rather than a full-on data dump.

That allows a lot more flexibility in game design, allows more debate about things, and creates a more immersive world.

There is a rather detailed time-line between EK and it's follow-up game. Let me see if I can find it.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I've been considering knocking-up a better Lore than the Wiki has.

One problem is that timeline does not fit the in-game narrative. The Corsair War is put at 9 years ago but in-game you're told it was 20 years ago.

And Hirge is "not yet twenty" when you meet her putting her at the near-30 mark when she is a "young" ascendant to the throne.

VDX_360

Staff member
Wars can have vague start / end dates. The start of the war was 20 years ago, the end was 9.... with a lot of really curious definitions of what counts as the first and last battle????

Hirge is a tall 10 year-old in the game. Technically not yet 20? She just looked young? Young for a world leader?

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
The 95 line does make it sound like that's the start or year-of war, not the end of it.

Is there any other in-game reference to Hirge's age? The only one I know of is from Brother Mirto.

I'm knocking up a Timeline of the Island for the Wiki but I only want to use in-game references. For Archelund there is no obligation to have the timeline match the game of EK, but I do think it should for the EK Wiki.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
The Corsair War is put at 9 years ago but in-game you're told it was 20 years ago.
Oversight on my part, I didn't remember I had written that 20-year reference in-game.

And Hirge is "not yet twenty" when you meet her putting her at the near-30 mark when she is a "young" ascendant to the throne

This is what's on my mind and notes, which of course may be entirely inconsistent if I have made mistakes or forgotten game quotes. Hirge is 16 at the start of EK events, and a couple years older at 104 which is the canon "endgame date". She's around 27 when crowned. Which happens to be the same age Elizabeth II was crowned, which was universally regarded as a "young queen".

VDX_360

Staff member
To be fair, all queens are called "young" least you lose your head.

"Yep, today we crowned Queen Inbred, The Third. She's an old, ugly hag with questionable genetic heritage."

Yeah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Oversight on my part, I didn't remember I had written that 20-year reference in-game.

This is what's on my mind and notes, which of course may be entirely inconsistent if I have made mistakes or forgotten game quotes. Hirge is 16 at the start of EK events, and a couple years older at 104 which is the canon "endgame date". She's around 27 when crowned. Which happens to be the same age Elizabeth II was crowned, which was universally regarded as a "young queen".

The only reason I knew is I went through most of the conversation files because I'm editing the NPCs on the Wiki, standardising them, putting in quotes, descriptions, backstory. It's the backstory of Raegar, from Those in Need. The other prominent mention is from Captain Demetrius in New Anthur, but his stated timeline is vague enough the war could easily have been 10 years ago or 20 years ago.

For a Wiki entry what would be your preferred version on the war timeline for EK?
  • Ten year war 85-86
  • Change the date to 85
  • Keep 95 and just make Raegar wrong perhaps just a slip of the tounge or whatever

I understand your reasoning with QEII but "young queen" was tabloid commentary not history-type-history. In England, four Kings of England were under 10 years old (one of them was just months old!). Fifteen Kings of England were under 20 years old. Up north, Mary Queen of Scots was 6 years old at ascension. As for English Queens, Victoria was 25 when she ascended, Elisabeth II was 27 at ascension. (Whereas Mary and Ann were 37 on ascension).

Status
Not open for further replies.