Failed Town Hall Quests

Rylocke

I've searched for an answer in the Wiki, forums, and Google, but I can't be the only person curious who doesn't/didn't know, so apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

Currently, I only pick up 2 or 3 town hall quests at a time for fear of failing them and losing rep. However, it'd be more efficient to pick up 5-8 and simply fail those I couldn't find.

I've saved and tested failing town hall quests to see what effect, if any, it has. There is a message indicating a reputation change, but the values don't appear to fluctuate.

Is there a reputation loss in higher difficulties or once higher reputation tiers are reached? Or is there no real consequence for missing a town hall deadline other than an onscreen empty threat of reputation change?

Obtainable Toast

Loreseeker
Rylocke":37ybunm0 said:
I've searched for an answer in the Wiki, forums, and Google, but I can't be the only person curious who doesn't/didn't know, so apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

Currently, I only pick up 2 or 3 town hall quests at a time for fear of failing them and losing rep. However, it'd be more efficient to pick up 5-8 and simply fail those I couldn't find.

I've saved and tested failing town hall quests to see what effect, if any, it has. There is a message indicating a reputation change, but the values don't appear to fluctuate.

Is there a reputation loss in higher difficulties or once higher reputation tiers are reached? Or is there no real consequence for missing a town hall deadline other than an onscreen empty threat of reputation change?

That sounds like a bug, I suggest moving this threat to the support forum
viewforum.php?f=5
or message David in private message as this might be counted as an exploit.

Rylocke

What part of it sounds like a bug or exploit? What is supposed to happen/currently happens upon failing a town hall quest? I still don't know the answer to my original question =p

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Failing a townhall quest should lead to loss of reputation in the respective kingdom, at least to my knowledge. So if your reputation doesn't decrease, this would be a bug. I guess only David himself can clarify this issue.

Rylocke

Well, until we know what the intended outcome is, it'll be hard to determine if there's an actual bug at work here and why I didn't report anything out of the ordinary. For example, if the character loses 5% rep, rounded down, then what I experienced is normal because I had very little to begin with (it was a new character with single-digit rep). Also, if reputation loss is tied to the tier, beginning at 0 for "unknown," then it is working as intended there as well. However, if there is meant to be a flat loss of reputation of, say, one point regardless of rep or tier, then I'd repeat my test to be sure and then report it as a bug.

As it stands, I don't know what losses I should be incurring and am curious how it works.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Ok, it seems that the reputation loss is limited to certain types of TH quest. For example, bounty hunts in Varsilia have no negative consequences, while item hunts do have a flat reputation loss (-1) when failed. In other kingdoms it may be different. At least I know that bounty hunts in Mercia can result in reputation changes, depending on what you hunt (Varannari, deserters, etc.).

Changing the topic back to General, as it indeed doesn't seem to be a bug.
Sorry for the confusion, I jumped to early conclusions.

Rylocke

MikeB":3t0s1sss said:
Ok, it seems that the reputation loss is limited to certain types of TH quest. For example, bounty hunts in Varsilia have no negative consequences, while item hunts do have a flat reputation loss (-1) when failed. In other kingdoms it may be different. At least I know that bounty hunts in Mercia can result in reputation changes, depending on what you hunt (Varannari, deserters, etc.).

Changing the topic back to General, as it indeed doesn't seem to be a bug.
Sorry for the confusion, I jumped to early conclusions.

No worries at all, and thanks for helping test with me and clarify. I also tested a bit more and found that Goblin Bounty quests did not lose me any experience while Tome hunting did. However, when I failed the goblin Bounty Quest, the main game screen did show "your reputation has changed: Varsilia" while the combat log and reputation screen did not register the change. That part might actually be a bug.

1cor1613

MikeB":3lgqk2cm said:
At least I know that bounty hunts in Mercia can result in reputation changes, depending on what you hunt (Varannari, deserters, etc.).

I came here to see if I could figure out why my slave bounty in Jabal that I completed made me lose reputation points in two other kingdoms while giving me +1 in Jabal and in Mercia. I see from your comment that this may be expected behavior, is that correct?