Extra Recovery?

chicirish

What are everyone’s thoughts on the Extra Recovery Skill?

I’ve never been impressed with it, as I view it as just a convenience skill. I’m not stronger, etc. with it. It just saves me some cash. I’ve found it easy enough to make or buy the potions I’ve needed, and spending 3 (or 6!) skill points on getting extra recoveries has seemed a steep price to pay.

Those of you that get it, why do you get it and when? It seems like if you get Extra Recoveries early on in the game, you end up being weaker than you should be. And later on, you’ll get all the potions you’ve ever wanted by easily farming the Sunken Citadel. I’ve thought about getting an extra recovery in the mid game, but there’s always a more pressing advanced skill to invest it…..or so it seems to me.

Thoughts? I’d love to know if there’s an angle to getting this skill that I haven’t considered. In my current game, I’m torn between maxing out crusader, maxing out bloodlust, or picking up an extra recovery.

VDX_360

Staff member
Personal preference applies. For your exact situation, do you want a slight increase in combat abilities, or an extra recovery in a dungeon?

Extra Recovery was more useful back when healing potions were rare. In the current version of the game, it's not hard to stockpile potions of all types and still have gold to spare. So, for most builds and most players, Extra Recovery is not the best use of Skill Points.

However, if you're doing well in the game, and have a few Skill Points to spend, Extra Recovery can help with those long End Game dungeons. Having 3, or 4, recoveries per rest can really help penetrate a dungeon.

If you're a magic user with Hirge as a Companion, there's more benefit to Extra Recovery as everyone's life and mana is fully recovered. You get more out of the recovery feature so it might be more appealing to have an extra one or two.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
An excellent skill for spell casters early game. Later in the game, it can be removed with a skill reset. It's the best skill to maximize durability, it's perfect to get through long quests. But it doesn't increase power, so against a boss, you're better with another skill.

But health and mana potions cost an extremely large amount of gold early and mid-game. Spending a few skill points on Extra Recovery (or even on Gate, the teleportation spell) will potentially save you thousands of coins, which can in turn be used to get better equipment faster, to get advanced skills sooner, or just to buy expensive but powerful potions and scrolls to beat a boss, like scrolls of restoration or elemental summoning.

Plus, mana potions are not available in shops early game. Extra Recovery is sometimes the only way to see a dungeon through the end without running out of mana. A mage without mana is essentially a glorified librarian.

chicirish

The white tower special does stack though, so once you hit around level 10, you can safely farm for merple and fat.

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
I feel you.
I had my share of school anxiety and exhaustion. I could have used those Whitetower Specials.

Study hard kids, but take care of your mental health.

SerHamiltonShitfoot

I like having 4 because I can venture out and find new areas / enemies and not have to worry about using up all of my potions or finding an inn nearby. it's let me fully loot dungeons and defeat bosses because me and the companion run up with full HP and start dropping the people's elbow