Ethical limitations of the Warriors Guild

DaleTilgo2022

I'm currently playing an ethical warrior. I would have joined the Warriors Guild ASAP but for one limitation. When you are briefed on the oath it explicitly states that you must abide by all laws in the four kingdoms. What is legal and what is ethical can differ. The relevant quests would be The Price of Freedom and The Snake Gang.

If I'm understanding correctly your oath would prevent you from helping the slaves escape and it would prevent you from robbing the bank as both acts are illegal. Is my interpretation correct?

Atomos

Friguld isn't a part of any kingdom, so you can rest easy about this one. As for the slaves: you can get all the problematic quests done before joining the warriors guild ;)

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
If I'm understanding correctly your oath would prevent you from helping the slaves escape and it would prevent you from robbing the bank as both acts are illegal.

As already said, The Wildlands and the Inori Desert are not part of the 4 Kingdoms. The Governor of Friguld has no more rights over your bearing than the Orc King of Urzuganar or the Frog Prince of Islet.

As for slaving, that slavery is lawful in Mercia doesn't mean all slaving in Mercia was done lawfully. Jarbad the slaver will admit he is pretending to do one thing (hunting criminals) whilst doing another (kidnapping for profit). Praetor Silena seeks just destroy a group of Varannari simply because they exist.

VDX_360

Staff member
Ah... clearly you haven't ran into a Demonic Lawyer. There are any number of ways to comply with all the laws of the kingdom and still do those quest the good way.

The Price of Freedom: The slaves being helped aren't legal slaves. They were kidnapped and forced into slavery without a trial. Thus, even under Mercian law, they are technically innocent. Blantant racism means no one cares, BUT, you as law abiding warrior could view it as helping a kidnap person escape.

The Snake Gang: You are merely serving as an evidence gathering raid on a known criminal HQ. Any pretense of law abiding bank is tossed out the window when the Director make his appearance.

A good Demonic Lawyer can find loop holes in all quests.

By way a further comment, I ran into a similar problem trying to role play as a Lawful Good paladin. The Price of Freedom requires you to be specifically lie. So even if legal under a Demonic Lawyer, it's still telling a lie.

I'm more worried about the Endangered Species issue. How many Ancient Dragons do you wipe out? How many Dimensional Parasites are killed just for trying to graze?

DaleTilgo2022

Since I had already completed the two aforementioned quests I decided to join the Warriors Guild since there couldn't be any future conflict. Upon looking at the oath with fresh eyes it does not state that you cannot commit any illegal act but rather that you must remain in good standing with all four kingdoms. I take that to mean that as long as your rep is at least +1 with all four kingdoms then you haven't broken your oath.

Ah... clearly you haven't ran into a Demonic Lawyer. There are any number of ways to comply with all the laws of the kingdom and still do those quest the good way.

Without producing any spoilers I have completed that quest. I enjoyed the reference.
The Price of Freedom: The slaves being helped aren't legal slaves. They were kidnapped and forced into slavery without a trial. Thus, even under Mercian law, they are technically innocent. Blantant racism means no one cares, BUT, you as law abiding warrior could view it as helping a kidnap person escape.

Your point stands for any non native slaves. As for the native slaves they are pronounced guilty of being savages. A trial would only be needed to determine the severity of their punishment.
The Snake Gang: You are merely serving as an evidence gathering raid on a known criminal HQ. Any pretense of law abiding bank is tossed out the window when the Director make his appearance.

You have foreknowledge of the governor being very corrupt and possibly criminal. You don't have any foreknowledge of the bank being a criminal front.
A good Demonic Lawyer can find loop holes in all quests.

By way a further comment, I ran into a similar problem trying to role play as a Lawful Good paladin. The Price of Freedom requires you to be specifically lie. So even if legal under a Demonic Lawyer, it's still telling a lie.

Leading up to the Price of Freedom in my conversation with Praetor Silena I concluded that I did not agree with Mercian law but that I would respect it while in Mercia. In the quest I would not lie to either party and therefore forced a confrontation. In a future play through my character is going to be %80 white hat.
I'm more worried about the Endangered Species issue. How many Ancient Dragons do you wipe out? How many Dimensional Parasites are killed just for trying to graze?

Anything/anyone that attacks me in an unprovoked manner is fair game. Ethics dictate that I could have killed non aggressive entities for pride or profit but chose not to.
Post automatically merged:    

As already said, The Wildlands and the Inori Desert are not part of the 4 Kingdoms. The Governor of Friguld has no more rights over your bearing than the Orc King of Urzuganar or the Frog Prince of Islet.

Nice jurisdictional loophole.
As for slaving, that slavery is lawful in Mercia doesn't mean all slaving in Mercia was done lawfully. Jarbad the slaver will admit he is pretending to do one thing (hunting criminals) whilst doing another (kidnapping for profit). Praetor Silena seeks just destroy a group of Varannari simply because they exist.

Another jurisdictional loophole. Mercian slave laws are not enforceable outside of Mercian territory. Had Jarbad caught the natives in Mercian territory then his scheme would be technically legal. In this case I sided with the natives because the map grid didn't state that we were in Mercia.

What is the creature in your current icon?
Post automatically merged:    

Friguld isn't a part of any kingdom, so you can rest easy about this one. As for the slaves: you can get all the problematic quests done before joining the warriors guild ;)

That was essentially my thought as well. In future play throughs I may adopt that strategy in case my new interpretation of the oath is incorrect.

Last edited: