DPS is not everything.

VDX_360

Staff member
A rogue needs options and tactics.
A combat 2-H Warrior just does it's thing.

In fairness, you could be a combat 2-H warrior that Whirlwinds, Charges, or does both. So, lots of variety.

Kakost

Melee Rogues are better suited for:
1) Kite-and-stab-and-hope-like-hell-assassinate-kicks-in.
2) Let-your-companion-be-a-chew-toy-and-flank-like-a-sabercat-hunting-a-wilderbeast.

What Melee Rouges are not well suited for:
3) Traditional Melee.

So "melee" in Melee Rogues is a very, very, loose term.
Yeah, the problem I have is knowing just how exactly position myself in relation to my companion, particularly when concerning doors and corridors, in order to better benefit from those sweet backstabs. My other problem is with assassinate. I dont have sufficient coorditation to keep moving myself as needed in the midst of the battle chaos, while at the same time keeping an eye out for my assassinate. I can only do one or another. I either move, or I assassinate, and that's kind of a big deal for playing Rogue, which is way that playstyle is utterly unsuitable for my person (and I have the same problem in similar games too. For instance, I cant for the sake of my life play a MOBA character that has any skill like "after activating this skill, your next basic attack does X". Because I either do basic attacks or I use a skill, doing both is not possible.)
Post automatically merged:    

In fairness, you could be a combat 2-H warrior that Whirlwinds, Charges, or does both. So, lots of variety.
Funnily enough, EK is the first game ever that I enjoyed playing the Warrior class. And in fact, I liked it just as much as the Mage, something truly unique for me. In all other games it were always a "meh" class, usually not the worse, but nothing special either. Charge and Whirlwind to me are super fun, I loved it, which is why I always use both. AND Bash too. I love all of those.

DaleTilgo2022

Kakost -- I understand what you mean by battle chaos. I've gotten better at monitoring and timing abilities but in the heat of battle I can usually time my stabs but I don't have the composure to flank an enemy at the same time. It sounds like rogues might not be compatible with your play style. If you give my rogue a bow he's more likely to shoot himself than the enemy.​

VDX_360 -- Hammer and tank, hammer and tank. Alright that seems like sufficient variety for 2H warriors. I will say I did enjoy that stand and bang style especially against mobs.​

VDX_360

Staff member
@DaleTilgo2022 , tongue-and-cheek comments aside, Warriors do get a little variety in their build options, but not as much as other classes. That's mostly do to melee combat being rather straightforward. The shield question is the only real variation, because the rest is hitting and getting hit.

Atomos

@VDX_360 hitting and getting hit can be done in various configurations too. Based on attack style you could be a:
- passive smasher (cleave + duel + flurry),
- active smasher (charge and/or whirlwind),
- furious archer (Rapid fire + Fury + Bash + Precision shots).
Getting hit as active smasher or furious archer is optional! Don't believe me?

Based on how you defend against stun/paralysis you could be one (or all!) of those:
- Infantry man (1h only, Shield expert + Infantry Training),
- Berserker (Fury + Battle rage),
- Ghostbuster (Spiritual Ward + spirit resistant gear).
Warriors can be efficient with all kinds of weapons!

DaleTilgo2022

Atomos -- I was biased as a passive smasher. I believe VDX_360 introduced the idea of combining charge with whirlwind which had never occurred to me. The other major takeaway was incoporating flurry into STR based warriors. The combo of duel and flurry might be the most effective.​

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I'm sure it can work I'm not sure its optimal.

I mean, 24 Trait points would raise STR from 6 to 9. Under 2H Expert that's 7.5 damage per hit, more than a full compliment of Heavyhand.

Would be interesting to see time-to-kill tests on the subject.