Drop Rate for Staff of the Traveler?

Sleeping Dragon

Yeah he was lucky. I’ve gotten all the Ashen armor probably 20 times even the Maul of Terror twice. But that staff eludes me.
Post automatically merged:    

Need something with some more spark for the Ark. The Staff of Storms isn’t doing much to those steel beasts.

VDX_360

Staff member
The Ark weapon for wizards is brutal.
Plus, the both the Iron Golem and Sparky summons are immune to shock damage.
Just summon the cute little Spark Plug and let him yawn in the face of the Battle Droids.
The only real long-term benefit of the Staff of the Traveler is it's extra damage to outsiders (parasite, Elemental Lord, etc).

Apocalypse

Loreseeker
As VDX said, the best staff is the Tesla one from the Ark, it's found in chests on the reactor level. As soon as you get it, the Traveler staff will be obsolete.

But if you really need it to survive the Ark long enough to find the super duper Tesla Staff, you just need to break your Curse of Unluck. You clearly were cursed by a Varannari Witch. It's always their fault. Kill one and drop a Deadweed on her corpse while chanting "Bless thee thy Three". Or sacrifice a goat to Tol. Or be patient. Patience works too. You'll find one eventually.

VDX_360

Staff member
Do you know the order in the drop table, and the max drops per kill?

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
I'm reasonably sure it is the correct drop order.

I heard the max drops was from 1 to 4, but I can't find it hardcoded-per-creature anywhere.

VDX_360

Staff member
If that is in the correct drop order, and there is a chance to drop 1 item, than the staff's effective true drop rate is just over 5%. It would be higher if there are more than one drop allowed.

Math if there's only one drop allowed: (1 - 0.1) x (1 - .85) x (1 -.06) x ( .08) = 0.0575)
Keep in mind that you have to NOT get the items above the staff in order to roll for the staff.

If each drop is rolled separately (rather than in-line) than the odds of getting the staff to drop would be two chances at the above chance, which works out to be ~10% (not sure if the same item can be gotten twice).

If they are rolled in-line, that gets a bit more complicated, but the math works out as:

If two in-line items.
Item 1: 10% chance for Leggings, 100% chance to move down list (even if you get item, still have a roll left)
Item 2: 15% chance for Axe, 98.5% chance to move down list (only stop if you get both items above)
Item 3: 6% chance for Maul, 97% chance to move down list (odds of getting 1, or 0 from Item 1,2).
Item 4: So you have a 97% chance to roll for the Staff at 8%.

NOTE: I think items are rolled in-line. Your loot drop is calculated by going down the list.

We could nit-pick the drop rate discussion in far more depth.... but yeah...

There's a small chance to get the staff. Keep killing them till you do.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
It's not about nit-picking, it's interesting. I'd like to know if the number of rolls (1 to 4) are truly random or if they're different for ordinary creatures, mini-bosses and bosses.

Also pretty sure you can only get 1 of each item. There are numerous examples of the 99% at the end of the list, if the entire list was re-rolled and duplicates allowed we'd see many drops with multiple Lesser Potions of Restoration, Elixirs of Galade, etc., but I never see that. So I suspect you're right and that it does down the table once, rolling for kit, until you don't have any rolls left or you roll past the table.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
As you seem interested in some more in-depth game mechanics, let me throw in what I (believe to) know about drop rates.

First, the maximum number of items per drop is determined randomly:
  • 70% chance --> 1 item
  • 25% chance --> 2 items
  • 5% chance --> 3 items
Note that the type of creature or chest is completely irrelevant here. It's the same chances for everything.

Then, the loot table is evaluated from top to bottom, just as you described. It stops when the maximum number of items is reached (i.e. 1, 2 or 3) or when the end of the table is reached. Each loot table is only rolled once, but some creatures and chests have multiple loot tables of the same kind which are rolled subsequently. So you may indeed get an item twice or even thrice on rare occasions.

Note that 100% items (sure drops) and gold coins do not count towards the maximum number of items. So you may get a 100% item, some gold coins plus 3 additional random items as drops from only one loot table.

For our specific case, Staff of the Traveller from Ashen Warlord, the effective chance for getting it is about 6.3% if you apply the rules described above.