Detect Secrets - How Often?

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
If a character uses Thelume's Wisdom or Scroll of Detection is the detect secrets done just once, or x mount of times per second? How long do the last?

If a character is relying on passive Awa/Int/Dungeoneering/Detection then how often are the checks made?

I (think!) I've seen a door be "found" when my character is standing and it was behind them, is this confirmed?

VDX_360

Staff member
Passive checks are made every few seconds (3 or 6 secs?) and both the Player and the Companion make passive checks based on their individual detection chance. Thus, you can find traps and secret doors while simply playing the game.

Each use of a Scroll of Detection or Thelume's Wisdom is for ONE single check at the detection level and radius. One use = one check. Thus, scrolls are better used in spots that seem suspicious (or if you're using out of game knowledge, where you know a secret is at). The Scrolls / Wisdom have a much larger search radius, which can be helpful in scanning a large dungeon, or checking for traps along a long hallway. Using a scroll or casting Thelume's Wisdom will alert you if there are undiscovered secret doors in the area. The alert is a message in the combat log in blue font. The alert is only for secret doors, not undiscovered traps. That can be quite helpful in double-checking you've gotten all the secret areas.

stonedwolf

Loreseeker
Thanks.

Confirmation of 3 or 6 seconds would be welcome.

Can someone in the Wiki also create a page called Perception redirect it to Secrets (I'm updating it and the Scroll, Thelume's Wisdom, etc.).

Last edited:

Mr Adventurer

With Scrolls/Wisdom, is alert of undiscovered secret doors 'in the area' only within the detection range listed, or for the whole map, or something in between?

VDX_360

Staff member
Good question. It's for the entire dungeon map. When either a Scroll of Detection or Thelume's Wisom alerts you there is a at least one remaining secret in the area, it means there's at least one remaining secret door in the entire map you're currently on. For additional clarity, dungeons that have multiple maps, each map has it's on alert. (You'll note that each map has it's own unique dungeon name, even it's part of the bigger dungeon).