David help please.

CristianoR

David, the game is very difficult for me. I can not get past level 11 with my cleric. When I want to reset the character, the gold I paid is very expensive. I wish the game would give more fun options. Please, for God's sake I'm asking you to listen to my humble request.

SirDonkalot

What exactly are you expecting him to do?
You always have the freedom to change the difficulty level for your own taste.

In my opinion figuring out a way to progress is one of the fun elements in an open world that David provides.

Here are some personal hints if something seems too difficult:

If an area/quest seems too difficult for your current character you may wanna change your location/quest and come back later.

If you still wanna go for it make sure you are properly prepared : stock up on potions , pick from the avaible gear to match the suited resistances for that area.

If you are lacking gold for buying pots or reskilling , go back to areas where you felt conformtable, farm and sell the stuff and try it again.

hope it helps a bit

Serge

I had exactly that situation in about the same level with warrior. My solution was to reroll and use extra knowledge from wiki.

Anomandaris

CristianoR":1sqn5fyq said:
David, the game is very difficult for me. I can not get past level 11 with my cleric. When I want to reset the character, the gold I paid is very expensive. I wish the game would give more fun options. Please, for God's sake I'm asking you to listen to my humble request.
First, I've played all available content with all 3 character types and, in my opinion, the cleric is easily the weakest. For me, the warrior starts out the strongest, then the rogue (with certain combos of skills and exclusive items) becomes stronger late in the game (or at least more fun for me to play).

Second, every time I've played through, there is a gap between the strength of my character and the difficulty of available quests right around the level you mentioned. Don't give up! Grind a little and the most enjoyable parts of the game are definitely still to come!

(FYI - he can't please everyone. If he made the game easier, I'd be upset...)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Difficulty can't be right for everyone, as you might see from other people comments. As it stands it seems to be fun for most players. You always have the option to play on Casual difficulty and stick to areas you can play more safely until you level up, it is an open world. Anyways, it would be a good idea if you told us specifically what dungeons/enemies/quests are you trying, and what skills and gear you use. Chances are people will be able to give specific advice to help you.

vo1d

I personally have to agree with ts about the difficulty: the proper name for "casual" mode should be "not that hardcore". You make a mistake = you die. You learn to make less mistakes = you die less. But still you die pretty often. Is it definition of "casual"?)) In most other games "easy" or "casual" means that you don't need to be smart/focused/try hard - you just follow the storyline and slash some beasts having fun. This is not the case for EK obviously...

One more weird thing about game difficulty I've noticed is that you almost never feel comfortable when facing monsters of the same level as yours. They usually overwhelm you so hard , it's ridiculous... For instance, my warrior is 16, I've killed all bosses, completed 90% quests, wiped every area in the game and got all the best gear possible. Do I feel like I'm a powerhouse? Yes, until I'm surrounded by 6-8 mobs of 16 level. Then I die. Then reload, spam potions and die. Then reload, spam potions, run away and die again. It's like I'm playing fraking dark souls, not diablo-like rpg on phone :)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
vo1d":19sdxami said:
For instance, my warrior is 16, I've killed all bosses, completed 90% quests, wiped every area in the game and got all the best gear possible. Do I feel like I'm a powerhouse? Yes, until I'm surrounded by 6-8 mobs of 16 level. Then I die.

That is pretty much intentional. Enemies have a damaging power lower but comparable to yours, I would need to be convinced why a game should be designed otherwise and still make the player feel like he achieved something. If enemies surround you you should die, as there's plenty of ways to avoid it (potion of speed, potion of invis, find a door, pulling enemies carefully, etc) This is a game about heroes, not superheroes.

When I try to balance difficulty, the only thing I really balance is quests. I want quests to be solvable within a certain level range. But the world itself isn't "balanced" to accomodate adventuring.

An example from one of the early quests in the goblin mine: Teram the Scout can be saved by a level 2 adventurer. But that same level 2 adventurer won't be able to clear the goblin mine; it will remain very dangerous for several levels. Some people will feel frustrated by that, but I like the fact there's a hostile "undefeatable" mine you must enter very carefully to achieve a specific goal, then escape alive. I know the standard 21st century design would be making a linear dungeon with one big boss at the end guarding Teram, and designing it so everyone can defeat it, but I think there's already enough games doing it that way.

vo1d

David, we love the game is challenging. The question is should "casual" be also challenging or not.

When it comes to heroes and superheroes... I'm just a gamer, not a game dev, it's hard to understand all the underlying mechanics and reasons. But when I need to overlevel regular mobs to beat them, it makes me feel the game encourages grinding (and it actually does). And there are people who are not interested in minmaxing or grinding, they just enjoy the storyline and the journey, and that's tge reason why they choose "casual". But "casual" is surprisingly hard:)

I totally understand, that in beta with incomplete storyline minmaxing is the best challenge available for most players. But as storyline and the world itself grows, you might reconsider this approach, at least for casual difficulty.

Just an oppinion. I personally enjoy the game as it is. ^-^

VDX_360

Staff member
CristianoR":eg33rlzo said:
..... I can not get past level 11 with my cleric....

If you can get to Level 11, you can get to any level. It's just a matter of grinding to gain XP. I'd suggest running Townhall quests in early areas and than working your way up to harder areas, if you hit a place that's too hard, go back to an easier area.

Also, read over the Wiki. Your difficulty might arise from something easy to correct, like not having the right elemental resistance for an area, having mis-matched skills and traits etc.

A more exact description of the problem might help give a more useful response.

Uljan

vo1d":32t476fk said:
One more weird thing about game difficulty I've noticed is that you almost never feel comfortable when facing monsters of the same level as yours. They usually overwhelm you so hard , it's ridiculous... For instance, my warrior is 16, I've killed all bosses, completed 90% quests, wiped every area in the game and got all the best gear possible. Do I feel like I'm a powerhouse? Yes, until I'm surrounded by 6-8 mobs of 16 level. Then I die. Then reload, spam potions and die. Then reload, spam potions, run away and die again. It's like I'm playing fraking dark souls, not diablo-like rpg on phone :)

Sorry, I don't see why this is not obvious for you. You have reached a level which all the 6-8 enemies surrounding you have reached. Why should your 16th lv character have an easy fight with so many enemies of the same level?