Companions?

Shep

Troll is missing swamp donkey....he can't find the donkey... Why donkey gone? Donkey dead....

Zarky

No spoilers here ...

as a level 18 warrior with 2hander build, later in levels I went with Grissenda with sword and shield build, currently lvl 14. Aadon was just too much of a health potion junkie, who is currently lvl 10.

if you went with sword and shield build as well as Grissenda, you would rock thru them dungeons.
As of now with my build, I use about 25 or so 90hp potions blazein thru the troll dungeon.
if with sword and shield build with proper resist items .... maybe 10 - 15 90hp potions.

I prefer big damage, so I went with 2h. Early on I was sword n shield. All the protection you can get in the early levels is a must for your survival, and that goes for any class.

traps at first will be a nuisance until you figure out where they are.

hope it helps. :D

Karjus

So you're about 5-6 levels over content?

With a sword and board Giss, with me at 15 and her at 13, using lightning resist equipment and resist potions... she's a wet sponge. On hard as well mind. Not sure whether that adjusts rolls, mob density, variants or what though.

Mind you, I picked her up at half way through level 2 so she is near enough as high as she could be.

One nice thing would be being able to designate a quick slot item for companion usage. Might make it somewhat less frustrating in trying to keep her alive.

Zarky

Oh Karjus, make no mistake, more then half the potions I use are for me ...

my armor is 15 with 25 lightning defense .... Grissenda with a 22 armor and 22 lightning resist.
I always make a b-line to them shamans. If I can take out the high damgage dealers, she can take out the grunts with little trouble. Easier to use the quick slot potions on me then selecting Grissenda to heal with potions.

And If I use a potion of shielding on Grissenda, +10 armor for 12 seconds that bumps her armor to 32, for the big battles, she can hold her own. With the damge I can deal, it doesnt take long for me to get back to her and help kill what she's fighting.

Karjus

12/36 for me, 19/40 for her before the +25 for the Shock potions. It isn't the resistance/armor.

I think the fact you're a good 5-6 levels over the content (I want to say Trollfens is about intended as a lvl 13 zone?) is clouding just how effective you think Companions are.

Once again, as I've stated elsewhere, the difficulty is pretty good. It's interesting again, and with more content to avoid simple dungeon runs to level and alternatives, it will be great. But more than anything, I'd like to see Companions worthwhile beyond quest unlockers or secret finders and be able to try new ones without being hosed because their level is a lot less.

I know, the half XP is coming, but being 2 levels less with their reduced stats/skills along with the jump in mob strength over 10 I don't think it will be enough to make them... I'm trying to think of the right word here. They're not supposed to steal the limelight, and they are useful to a degree, and I do like the difficulty but... eh. Inadequate?

Zarky

Companions and hired mercanries are damage shields. They take the extra damage to keep you alive, period. Nothing more.

Inadequate? No, not if you build them right.

defense(armor) and hit points are the key for the Grissenda build. The strongest of the two comapnions.

As for Aadons build, your guess is good as mine. I'd rather have a tank by my side than a thief! ;)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
give me a little time to adapt companions to the new 10+ balance. I'll figure out something, probably either via skills, or more hp, or other things.

Karjus

DavidBVal":3p33savf said:
give me a little time to adapt companions to the new 10+ balance. I'll figure out something, probably either via skills, or more hp, or other things.

I'm happy you're just seeing it as something to look at.

Mr.Suspense

Loreseeker
Karjus":1i2bigof said:
DavidBVal":1i2bigof said:

I'm happy you're just seeing it as something to look at.

Its good that it has been added to your To Do List