Companion skills

Alaric100

LOVE the game. I thought I read somewhere that companion active skills would show up on your UI. However, when I select Adaon to have the traps skill I don't see where I can use it to disarm traps or use him to do so. Am I missing something? Thank you in advance for the help.

Dimidium

First off, Welcome to our Forums. You'll find quite a few helpful people here who are more than willing to help you.

To answer your question, companions activate their skills when they choose. It may or may not be the best timing in combat, but they try their best.

Adaon won't disarm a trap too far above his level, nor will he detect them. Once he's high enough level and has Dungeoneering 3, he can find and disarm nearly any trap in the game, though. He takes a while to get powerful.

feldon

Loreseeker
I believe the UI feature you're referring to was suggested, though not implemented yet. Will bug David about it once new content drops and he is freed up a little.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Dimidium":23671ht0 said:
To answer your question, companions activate their skills when they choose. It may or may not be the best timing in combat, but they try their best.

Adaon won't disarm a trap too far above his level, nor will he detect them. Once he's high enough level and has Dungeoneering 3, he can find and disarm nearly any trap in the game, though. He takes a while to get powerful.
Wow, I didn't know that my companions had free will! I explored Irazur tomb with Adaon and he detected a lot of traps thanks to his good perception, but I couldn't "persuade" him to disarming them for me. Tried it a few times, always got badly hit and then concluded that it's simply not possible.

From what you say I understand that if I return with him at a higher level, he will eventually start to disarm the traps. Correct?

ClockworkGhost

MikeB":8xzdusow said:
Dimidium":8xzdusow said:

From what you say I understand that if I return with him at a higher level, he will eventually start to disarm the traps. Correct?

Yep, same with the other companions and their skills too. You need to give him levels in Dungeoneering obviously, and boost his Awareness, but as Dimidium mentioned, as his abilities increase he'll start to disarm higher and higher level traps. I used to just push him ahead of me through the traps with no armour or weapons to remind him that he stole from me, but then the rules changed :(

Dimidium

MikeB":1kmiy8xw said:
Dimidium":1kmiy8xw said:

Wow, I didn't know that my companions had free will! I explored Irazur tomb with Adaon and he detected a lot of traps thanks to his good perception, but I couldn't "persuade" him to disarming them for me. Tried it a few times, always got badly hit and then concluded that it's simply not possible.

I am glad I can enlighten you on this. I also believe that his level in relation to the trap in question changes these odds. So, my Level 25 Adaon has a big bonus to disarm a Level 10 Trap. Conversely, a Level 10 Adaon would have a big penalty to disarm a L25 Trap - and most likely wouldn't even try to disarm it, in this case.

To follow up, my Adaon (Level 25) has a 64% Chance to Find Secrets, 85% Chance to Disable Traps, and a 40% Chance to Learn Rumors. He also ends up around 37 DPS if equipped correctly.

feldon

Loreseeker
Companions will attempt to disarm traps by themselves if they have a greater than 65% chance to disarm the trap. Level of trap impacts your %, so there will be some harder traps they won't touch until really high levels.