Cleric template

Eliadann

Hi guys,

I am considering to run a cleric up the heavens. Any advice on which skills to rely on? It seems to me that there is no really an option to play a caster DPS, as the only nuke is efficient on undead only, and also you´d run out of mana after a handful of mobs.

So the game mechanics prompt you to play a warrior priest. Am I wrong?

Thanks,

- Elia

RapFTB

I have a Cleric at 9th level. I am mostly disappointed with the character as it is now. I really hope that the Cleric is improved in updates. He can't turn the undead but his spells give some pluses against them. His only offensive spell is a fire spell that doesn't target your enemies properly so it's useless. He has a spell that is supposed to give you extra damage & fire damage but hasn't worked properly for me so I wrote to support to get it fixed. His most useful spell besides his necessary Heal spell is Intervention. Make sure to get that as it revives you when your points reach zero but uses up all your leftover magic points. Agility & Endurance are very useful for survival! The spell that raises your armour level is useful too. As soon as you can, get the skill that lets you raise your magic & health another time a day. Unfortunately, clerics are limited to mostly non-bladed weapons but there are some blades that he can use in the game. Good luck if choose to use the Cleric & I hope that this info has been useful.

Eliadann

Thanks for the tips. I made it to level 5 with my cleric, so here´s my 2 cents.

First, I have to say that I always play on hard and with no companions at all. I hate to share my looties with the poor (churchman says), that´s why.

First thing I did was to max out Intervention skill. If we compare this to heal, ratio mana /HP goes from 1 to 2 to 1 to 8 with skill at rank III, which beats Heal skill, that sticks to 1 to 5 all the way through.

On top of this, at level 5 I have a single rank on Arbenos´s Might, Crusader, Extra Recovery and Dungeoneering (remember, I hate to share). As for play style is concerned, you need to look into how much mana you need to get a complete heal with Intervention maxed out. If you have, let´s say, 115 hit points and 20 mana, you can fully heal yourself leaving 14 mana for Intervention, which means you can cast Arbeno´s Might I twice, and then trust your God to save you. Then you´ll be fighting without mana (be careful here), so after a few fights, pop recovery button, and you have again health and mana, so another two casts of Arbeno´s Might I before trusting yourself to your God. Rinse and repeat. You can make it in a way that you have more casts of the buff between God´s Interventions, depending how do you distribute your traits. This is about to play preferences. If you invest more skill points on Arbeno´s, then its mana cost increases, so you´ll have less casts, take this into account.

Facing tough encounters with your mana and health bars up, popping your melee buff and having your God ready to refill your health completely in the middle of the fight is, so far, doable. I attach a couple screenshots.

Thanks,

- Elia

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-06-16-51-54.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-06-16-51-54.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Screenshot_2016-03-06-16-51-42 (1).png
    Screenshot_2016-03-06-16-51-42 (1).png
    187.9 KB · Views: 1,931

toopa

Translator
I basically play rogue and I really like it. From my experience I've made so far it seems that clerics are very strong in early game. I actually had most problems with warrior since it's very hard to fight against ghosts efficiently. Rogues get stronger and stronger by time. Warriors are insane DDs but not as sneaky as rogues. My biggest concern is that clerics don't get as good weapons as warriors and rogues. Is Silvery Mace actually the best weapon for clerics?

Also I didn't use any skill points for intervention because I use mana for healing and damage buffs (yeah, maybe it's not smart to skill 1 point on healing since it's useless in late game but it's very useful in early game). Additionally I think it's smartest not to go further than level 1 on healing/damage buff skill because it get's too expensive to use for the little bonus it adds.

Eliadann

I don´t really agree with Heal skill being useless in the late game, as you´ll have more mana, which means more casts. It is less useful as an in-combat heal, this is clear, but as a downtime heal is the same. I do agree with you on getting ranks II and III for Heal skill, it won´t change anything as a downtime heal because ratio remains the same so you´ve wasted your skill points. Now, the question is if it is worth the points for the improvement as an in-combat heal. Here, I will always go with Intervention, unless Heal also targets your companion, which would take Heal skill ratio up to 1 to 10 (better than Intervention). Useless for me, as I play solo.

As for the melee buff, I agree with you, it scales poorly, its best ratio damage / mana is at rank I. I do not completely discard getting further ranks, though. We´ll see.

- Elia

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I definitely need to improve the healing ratio in levels II and III, it is meant as a combat heal.

toopa

Translator
Well, you can just buy potions in late game because you get a lot of momey. I actially have 50+ scrolls to port me back and 30 potions to restore 90 HP, and I barely need them either

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, but that's because I haven't yet added the things that cost a lot of money...

Eliadann

toopa":1r3v26lr said:
Well, you can just buy potions in late game because you get a lot of momey. I actially have 50+ scrolls to port me back and 30 potions to restore 90 HP, and I barely need them either

Me too. But I wouldn´t allow to drink a potion while engaged in combat or running as if your stepmom was pursuing you. This would certainly raise the value of Heal skill as an in-combat heal.

- Elia

sinoako9

I play a cleric, currently lv7.

Personally, I use...
- Heal Wounds I: ratio does feel too low, but even HWI helps for near death experience which happens quite frequently, but not enough for active in-combat-heal and also for down time healing if you want to reserve Recovery. I think it should scale with Intellect.
- Nivaria's Barrier II: I think this is one of the good skill since cleric relies heavily on melee and even better armor rating against undead.
- Arbeno's Might II: Personal buff, great for swarms, good combo with NB, main skill.
- Crusader I: Could be better if/since cleric's main weapon is a blunt/mace, could add another stun % bonus if the weapon equipped is a mace.
- Holy Shield: Awesome buff if you're mainly fighting ghosts or for boss/swarm encounters.

Not much experience with...
- Intervention: seems good for the worst case scenario if you're not really using your mana and relies heavily on normal attacks, and very faithful to your G_d.
- Thelume's Wisdom: Seems useless to me, should have been a rouge skill. I'm not in deep with the lore yet so I can't be so sure it's a good idea but it'd be nice if it was a mp recovery passive skill at a rate/min or active like heal :D
- Sacred Fire: Run outta mp in a few encounter; useful like warrior whirlwind, I guess. Can't really use as a main dps skill with mp issue.